Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mayock Torches Coples

82 posts in this topic

Posted

I think Dontari Poe is the Newton of this draft. Will either be a bust or an every-year Pro Bowler. Glad we swung for the fences with Newton, not sure we should do it with Poe.

horrible comparison.

Posted

I like Coples, I am just not sure he can be an elite outside pass rusher. I personally would like to see him add 20 pounds and move inside where i think he can be elite.

At DE I still think he will be very good and be stout against the run and get about 6-7 sacks a year. Not great but really good

However, if he does drop to us and we draft him I think it is an immediate upgrade over Hardy and wouldn't be upset at all if we got him.

Posted

I take Mayock as seriously as I do anyone else, but they're all hit or miss. Some "hit" more than others (McShay stinks) but when you get right down to it, it's all just educated guessing.

For that matter, if you want an idea of just how inexact a science draft scouting truly is, check out this item from PFT:

Billick says Ravens had highest draft grade ever on Jamarcus Russell

The Ravens scouting department, led by former NFL great Ozzie newsome, is widely considered to be one of the absolute best in the league.

They're also the bunch who deemed Kyle Boller worthy of a first round pick in 2003. And who - we now know - thought a guy who's now considered by many to be the biggest bust of all time was the greatest QB prospect in their history.

Bottom Line: Someone will take Coples (maybe us) in the first round, and it'll be a great move or a mistake. If it's us we'll argue about it relentlessly (heck, we do that already). But in the end, regardless of who we take, we'll all hope the Panthers were wise.

2 people like this

Posted

The trouble some of these guys get it though is going WAY against the grain and venturing off into declaring a 'bust'. He's been down on Coples (with good reason) forever, but to go as far as to say he wouldn't draft him? That's extreme to me.

Posted

In Hurney's interview yesterday he said that safety of the #9 pick would play a big role in the player we drafted. You can be damn sure that if we draft anyone with red flags that he has exhusted every avenue ( like with Cam) in determining the truth behind of those problems. With Coples, I'm thinking he likes money more than football, which is never a good thing.

Posted

To be fair, he did have Cam rated in the 20s because he was afraid of off the field issues. Which, let's be honest, was a legitimate concern. Even Ryan Kalil said he didn't want to play with an arrogant guy like. But, then everyone got to know Cam, and he was definitely different that everyone expected.

Posted

To be fair, he did have Cam rated in the 20s because he was afraid of off the field issues. Which, let's be honest, was a legitimate concern. Even Ryan Kalil said he didn't want to play with an arrogant guy like. But, then everyone got to know Cam, and he was definitely different that everyone expected.

Everyone didn't have him rated that low. And it was a legit concern to the folks that didn't believe in him.

He's questioning Coples drive just like he did Cam. And I tend to believe he'll be fine.

Posted

The reality is that it doesn't matter where Mayock has Coples ranked as he doesn't participate in the draft. On the other hand where all the teams have him ranked does make a difference. And I suspect there are a bunch of them that have ranked Coples as a first rounder for sure. It only takes one. How many folks had The Golden Calf of Bristol as a first rounder two years ago? Or Chris Johnson the year before that??

Posted

The trick here with the Panthers is that while they are going to draft a safe pick, who they consider to be a safe pick is only known to them. Hurney said yesterday in the PFT interview they had Cam as the safest pick in the draft. No one on here would have thought that at the time but we or the media neither have the access and resources to make the educated decision the do.

Guys like Mayock make their projections based off of film study, combine numbers and general public information. Based on that I completely understand why he had Cam ranked where he had him. That is what you have to keep in mind when reading or listening to these guys.

I'm just glad that Hurney and the scouting department is as good as they are. As much as some bitch about it there are a lot of teams that are way worse and only a few that better.

Posted

There's a reason why Mayock works for the NFL Network and not a team...

It's also important to remember Mayock is in the entertainment industry, this kind of opinion draws attention.

Posted

In an industry full of so many morons even the halfway respected of the bunch sometimes feel the need to make a brash statement to get the hits up and take a low-risk gamble at being anointed the next fortune-teller.

The funny thing about media is that they are rarely called to the carpet for their comments and never compensated for being accurate.

Posted

Poe is Cam? Me no understand..

Coples is Cam? Ditto..

No...they arent.

Coples is a first rounder but maybe Mayock is making a dramatic statement that a team cannot draft Coples and then be very confident about the pick.

Is Coples better than Robert Quinn? How Bout Collegiate Jamaal Anderson? Hmmm. Be afraid..