55 replies to this topic

#16 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Lehigh just scored again!

Trolling aside, who is coming back to Duke?

They are losing their best player/only scorer and return a team that was probably 3-4 best in the ACC and lost in one of the biggest upsets in NCAA history. Oh yeah, not to mention the 6th best recruiting class in the ACC this year.

Another one of those live by the 3/die by the 3 teams next year.

Sure, Coach K is an excellent coach. But he can't go out there and make all the shots and grab all the rebounds, too!

HOW SWEET IT IS

Losing our best and only scorer? Kelly, Curry, Dawkins, and Mason have all proven they can drop 25 to 30 on teams, who on unc's team has proven that? I think our season rests on how good Cook ends up being this year. He battled through the knee injury pretty much all year so I expect improvement from him. Many people forget Cook was the the player of the year as a junior over Kendall Marshall and Tyler Thornton who were both seniors at the time.

MrTD needs to do a little more research, not only about Duke but also his own team because he seems to be in the dark about them.

#17 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Eh, UNC is overrated in that poll, but what are you gonna do? Roy has only had 1 year at UNC where he couldnt replace the guys leaving, and there is definitely still some talent sticking around. Sure nobody is a proven go to player, but there is a lot more returning talent on the roster than 05 or 09. They should be good enough to make the tourney as long as Paige isnt the next Larry Drew, but State and Duke should finish higher in the ACC.

This is such a typical Duke team. They have enough experience and 3 point shooting that K will make it work even though I dont think they are good enough to challenge for a national title.

A State team with expectations? We'll see how that goes, its been a while. Hell, maybe they can even beat UNC for once

#18 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Eh, UNC is overrated in that poll, but what are you gonna do? Roy has only had 1 year at UNC where he couldnt replace the guys leaving, and there is definitely still some talent sticking around. Sure nobody is a proven go to player, but there is a lot more returning talent on the roster than 05 or 09. They should be good enough to make the tourney as long as Paige isnt the next Larry Drew, but State and Duke should finish higher in the ACC.

This is such a typical Duke team. They have enough experience and 3 point shooting that K will make it work even though I dont think they are good enough to challenge for a national title.

A State team with expectations? We'll see how that goes, its been a while. Hell, maybe they can even beat UNC for once

Nice post, I agree with almost everything you said.

#19 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,033 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Losing our best and only scorer? Kelly, Curry, Dawkins, and Mason have all proven they can drop 25 to 30 on teams, who on unc's team has proven that? I think our season rests on how good Cook ends up being this year. He battled through the knee injury pretty much all year so I expect improvement from him. Many people forget Cook was the the player of the year as a junior over Kendall Marshall and Tyler Thornton who were both seniors at the time.

MrTD needs to do a little more research, not only about Duke but also his own team because he seems to be in the dark about them.

lol!

#20 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

lol!

What an eloquent and informed rebuttal.

#21 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,033 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

lol!

#22 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

lol!

Wow thanks again for adding so much, you are an embarrassment to heels fans.

#23 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,033 posts
  • Location704

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Posted Image

#24 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

#25 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Again you add so much. He is one of yours heels fans. Haha.

#26 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,033 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

No point arguing w/ you guys anymore. Dookies thinking the team will be special next season is comical to say the least.

Let's go over the "duke logic" in this thread so far:

Duke fans relishing in the fact that Carolina lost four special players to the NBA, but for some reason aren't phased by losing their leading scorer/best player to the NBA. Not to mention one of your very few inside players, dukes glaring weak spot, to graduation as well. Now to call Miles PLumlee an "inside player" might be more flattering than truthful, it is still a loss that you have to deal with.

Duke fans in this thread have also blamed Carolina fans for assuming Marcus Paige, the #3 overall PG in recruiting and McDonalds AA this year, will be some sort of savior and us counting on something that could or could not happen.

Let me remind you duke fans that you are also in a very similar situation. Who is going to run the point for you? Quinn Cook? Tyler Thornton? Seth Curry?

Cook, like Paige, is unproven. He could be a good player, but as of now who fuging knows? You have nothing to back your arguments on and accussing carolina fans of something you are most certainly guilty of doing is extremely hypocritical and ignorant.

And Thornton is garbage. You know it. I know it. He shouldn't be starting on a team like Duke.

Oh yeah, then there is recruiting. Or lack there of in Durham this season. Sure, you did land one 5Star recruit, but Duke was out recruited by Wake Forrest and Maryland this year. fuging WAKE FORREST. This should have you extremely concerned. You also weren't even in the top 30 this season. Disgusting.

Carolina took some hits this year but at least we have made arrangements to replace these players and our team, once again is loaded with talent. They will be starting 4 McDonalds AA next season with another one of the bench. I'm not calling for a NC run or anything but I could see them being a S16 team next season followed by a NC team the year after.

Duke returns a team much worse than the team they had this year. A team that lost in the opening round of the NCAA tourney to a JV basketball team.

#27 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

No point arguing w/ you guys anymore. Dookies thinking the team will be special next season is comical to say the least.

Duke fans relishing in the fact that Carolina lost three special players to the NBA, but for some reason aren't phased by losing their leading scorer/best player to the NBA. Not to mention one of your very few inside players, dukes glaring weak spot, to graduation as well. Now to call Miles PLumlee an "inside player" might be more flattering than truthful, it is still a loss that you have to deal with.

Duke fans in this thread have also blamed Carolina fans for assuming Marcus Paige, the #3 overall PG in recruiting and McDonalds AA this year, will be some sort of savior and us counting on something that could or could not happen.

Let me remind you duke fans that you are also in a very similar situation. Who is going to run the point for you? Quinn Cook? Tyler Thornton? Seth Curry?

Cook, like Paige, is unproven. He could be a good player, but as of now who fuging knows? You have nothing to back your arguments on.

And Thornton is garbage. You know it. I know it. He shouldn't be starting on a team like Duke.

Oh yeah, then there is recruiting. Or lack there of in Durham this season. Sure, you did land one 5Star recruit, but Duke was out recruited by Wake Forrest and Maryland this year. fuging WAKE FORREST. This should have you extremely concerned. You also weren't even in the top 30 this season. Disgusting.

Carolina took some hits this year but at least we have made arrangements to replace these players and our team, once again is loaded with talent. They will be starting 4 McDonalds AA next season with another one of the bench. I'm not calling for a NC run or anything but I could see them being a S16 team next season followed by a NC team the year after.

Duke returns a team much worse than the team they had this year. A team that lost in the opening round of the NCAA tourney to a JV basketball team.

Nobody said anything about Duke being "special". I see them as a top ten team who could win the ACC and maybe a no.2 seed in the NCAA at best. That's not special, thats average for Duke.

Losing Rivers as a "talent" hurts the team a bit but he wasn't the most liked teammate and clashed with the system in place. It maybe better for Duke in the long run with him gone. Math isn't my strong suit but i believe losing 4 NBA players to our one is more of a blow. And as for Miles, people forget his younger brother redshirted last year and is all set to take his place in the lineup. He may very well be the best of the Plumlee brothers in fact.

Both Paige and Cook are question marks. Cook was recovering from an injury all season and didn't show the skills that made him a top recruit last season. Paige is a freshman thrust into the spotlight. All eyes will be on him as he takes over leading one of the nations top programs. You never know with freshman. Some get it their 1st year, some don't. Oh and Strickland and Thornton are pretty much the same guy. Thornton being the better defender and Strickland having a little more pop on offense. Both should be backups IMO.

Hmmm yes recruiting, well the jury is still out. Duke is still in the running for the services of 2 top prospects. Plus as i pointed out before, both Plumlee 3 and Alex Murphy were redshirted so you must add them into the mix as well. I see great things for Murphy at Duke but thats just me.

Duke returns proven players. Guys who have shown they can compete at a high level. No one at UNC has averaged ten points of better. Duke returns 3 and Mason Plumlee is a double threat every game.

Botton line is both teams lost their last game. Both had key injuries late. Both won on each others home court and neither won the ACC. UNC was suppose to steam thru Duke (as well as the rest of the ACC) and win it all while Duke was in a rebuilding mode. Now its UNC rebuilding while Duke looks to be in the drivers seat.

#28 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Duke fans relishing in the fact that Carolina lost four special players to the NBA, but for some reason aren't phased by losing their leading scorer/best player to the NBA. Not to mention one of your very few inside players, dukes glaring weak spot, to graduation as well. Now to call Miles PLumlee an "inside player" might be more flattering than truthful, it is still a loss that you have to deal with.

Cook, like Paige, is unproven. He could be a good player, but as of now who fuging knows? You have nothing to back your arguments on and accussing carolina fans of something you are most certainly guilty of doing is extremely hypocritical and ignorant.

Good Job, only took you 2 and a half days to come up with something intelligent to say. The funny thing is that you STILL got so many things wrong.

No one has ever said Duke is going to be a powerhouse so I have no idea where you got that.

Duke loses 2 players, only one of them key to the team. UNC loses 4 players, ALL 4 key to the team, and yet somehow Duke lost more? To make that argument work you must think that Austin Rivers is the next MJ and Miles Plumlee is the next Dwight Howard. So take your bias pants off and figure out which one it is.

Why do you keep regurgitating the same argument? "Carolina is replacing the 4 lottery picks they just lost, with four 4 star freshman. THEY ARE ALL AMERICANS THOUGH!!!!" Question: Does being an All American in high school gain you any extra points per game or rebounds? Exactly, so stop saying that like it magically makes your team good. Not saying you don't have good players, but there are more than plenty of Mcdonald's All Americans that end up sucking in college. BTW, Paige is the 3rd best PG in a recruiting class that has no elite point guards. That is like saying you have the shiniest peanut in the terd. Just because he is ranked like that doesn't make him a superstar. He could be good, he could be bad, but at the end of the day, he likely won't be good his freshman year. Freshman point guards rarely typically succeed. Only time's they do is if they are extraordinary passers(Marshall), or great scorers(Irving), Paige is neither.

You mention who is going to play PG for Duke? No one ever said Thornton was a superstar. He is a Coach K type player. Tons of hustle, great defense, terrible offense, a la Lance Thomas and Brian Zubek. Cook can be solid, but he is too stupid with the ball in his hands sometimes to be elite. Duke's offense doesn't really require a PG at the end of the day anyways. Just someone who can shoot and not turn the ball over. We won the national championship in 2010 with Scheyer playing PG.

As for recruiting, Duke is still in the running for Tony Parker and Amile Jefferson, 2 5 star recruits, although I think we will only end up with one.(Jefferson) But I forgot you are the guy that is all about prematurely ranking classes before everything is said and done. Duke won't end up with the top class, but if they get at least 1, they will end up in the top 15 at least, if somehow they pull both, top 10, possibly top 5.

And for Popcorn, I agree with most of what you said. I think Alex Murphy is a Kyle Singler clone, and could do a lot of the same things Kyle did when he was here. I agree that I don't think it was a massive loss to lose Rivers, it sucks, but the team will likely be better for it. Only thing I think I should mention is that it was always predicted that Mason would be the best of the 3 brothers, with a toss up for who would be the second best between Miles and Marshall.

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

Once again you are showing how you don't know anything about college basketball. Duke brought in 5 freshmen last year and each D1 school is only allowed 13 scholarships so we only have 1 or 2 scholarships available depending on if they offer Zafirovski one.

#30 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I think what is comical is you thinking any of us Duke fans on here think that next years team will be special. Munch, Popcorn, and myself have never claimed to have a special team next season but we do have proven players and only lost 1 starter. To have a poll out already is stupid not to mention having Duke behind unc in the poll makes no sense. unc has 0 players coming back that averaged double figures in scoring while Duke returns 3 players that did. unc's team this year could be good enough to contend for the Acc title or could end up finishing in the 6-8 range, you just never know with what they lost. Duke on the other hand will win the Acc or finish no worse then 2nd or 3rd and could be a top 5 team in the country if Cook can be the PG we all expected when he came out of Oak Hill. Rumors are also swirling that Mike Gbinije is transfering which could mean Amile Jefferson is on his way to Durham.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.