Photo
- - - - -

Jail Time For Using Birth Control In Honduras

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#16 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Add the fact that the vote has been happening "in a few days" since February...

#17 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

edit: I just downloaded the text version of the bill... this is what it says, literally:

... liar. :P

The actual conclusion says that since they can not determine if the pill prevents contraception or prevents a conceived zygote from implanting, the later being a form of abortion according to the court, and therefore illegal etc.

This is all based on me trying to type out that spanish by hand and put in google translate, which involved a lot of typos and missing accents on my part.

Either way, it looks legit.

fwiw, you should know that a vote in a few days in a governmental capacity can take months, especially if there is actually public outcry about it.

#18 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Misleading thread title is misleading.

Speaking of bitches, how does it feel to know you believed a rumor? Ever wonder why, in the OP, you stated you can't find much information about it? Or that there is no information about "Law 54" in Honduras, except on pages that link to avaaz?

Yes I wondered why I couldn't find much about it, that's why I pointed it out in my original post.

#19 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

... liar. :P

The actual conclusion says that since they can not determine if the pill prevents contraception or prevents a conceived zygote from implanting, the later being a form of abortion according to the court, and therefore illegal etc.

This is all based on me trying to type out that spanish by hand and put in google translate, which involved a lot of typos and missing accents on my part.

Either way, it looks legit.

fwiw, you should know that a vote in a few days in a governmental capacity can take months, especially if there is actually public outcry about it.

Any chance you can copy and paste the text in a PM? The PDF wouldn't load for me at all and the text version gave me that BS above^^

edit: After doing a few more searches, the vote was on February 1, 2012. The court ruled that Emergency Contraception is illegal by their constitution / existing laws. However, their congress has not yet written any laws regarding the criminalization (or jail time) for its use. There is expected to be a convention around mid-May where laws will be written. The harsh measures that Cat described are a possibility - they are not written laws (yet) that are being appealed.

#20 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

I can take a couple screenshots of the text itself and post them or something if you are curious as to the actual text of the 2009 document, but it sounds unnecessary at this point. I deleted my hand written version of the conclusion after translating it as it only took a couple seconds to type up, but if you can read Spanish I can just as easily take a screenshot of it, and that way you will get accents etc.

so ultimately this seems legitimate - maybe not in terms of "any day now," but in terms of the very real possibilities that could come from this. Hopefully that petition will have a positive impact in this whole process. time will tell.

#21 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

I will find another source eventually. I tried searching for the "Law 54" that was in the article, but that law deals with tax equity and employment benefits. That's why I originally thought this was a hoax.