#61 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

He's not a reach at 9 anymore, he's considered the 2nd rated CB and some scouts are rating him very close to Claiborne. He'll actually probably be BPA at #9 and has easily moved himself into the top 10 on draft day. I'm not sure if Carolina makes the pick, but I wouldn't be upset about it. I'd rather have DL help though.

#62 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Reach is such an overused word in the 1st these days with the rookie pay scale the way it is.

A reach in the 1st is now taking a guy you can easily have in the late 2nd or early 3rd with a first round pick. It's not taking a guy that could be gone 6 spots later.

If they draft him, I'll be fine with it. He's only been a CB 3 years and is getting better.
Still not sure I want us to get a corner in the first though.

#63 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Reach is such an overused word in the 1st these days with the rookie pay scale the way it is.

A reach in the 1st is now taking a guy you can easily have in the late 2nd or early 3rd with a first round pick. It's not taking a guy that could be gone 6 spots later.

If they draft him, I'll be fine with it. He's only been a CB 3 years and is getting better.
Still not sure I want us to get a corner in the first though.

Reach is not an over used word when you take a player in the 1st rnd that may not immediately contribute. I don't even think Gilmore is better than Cap, so we can stop right there because we need a #2 CB.

#64 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

Reach is not an over used word when you take a player in the 1st rnd that may not immediately contribute. I don't even think Gilmore is better than Cap, so we can stop right there because we need a #2 CB.

You're absolutely blind if you don't think Gilmore is better than Cap. They're nothing alike, and Gilmore was better in college, at the same one no less.
Gilmore has everything on Cap. Don't let fanboyism blind yourself, Gilmore would immediately be our solid #2.

#65 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

• HUDDLER
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

You need to check your eyesight. I've seen Gilmore get burned numerous times and I don't think that he's better than Cap, nore do I want him as our #2. Janoris Jenkins is far better than Gilmor.

#66 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Gilmore's the only CB in this draft other than Claiborne I wouldn't have a problem with at 9.

#67 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,360 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Gilmore is the most physically gifted CB in this draft, he just has an issue with technique right now. He's also a student of the game and is a leader on the field. Capt isn't a starting caliber NFL CB nor does he have that ability, Gilmore however does have the ability to be a starter.

#68 ClarkCam

ClarkCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

You need to check your eyesight. I've seen Gilmore get burned numerous times and I don't think that he's better than Cap, nore do I want him as our #2. Janoris Jenkins is far better than Gilmor.

Gilmore> Captain, its not really a debate....

Gilmore reminds me of one of the guys I played football with in high school, the guy decided not to play some FCS football, but he was our stud on our team. Gilmore reminds me of a swag player who can lead a secondary... He actually helped call the plays in his secondary.

#69 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

If Stephon Gilmore is "truly" an option at #9 (lol),

Then what is Lance Lewis worth??

Lance Lewis is a WR out of ECU that took Stephon Gilmore to church in a head to head machup. Lance Lewis had 13 catches 108 yards and 2 TDs against South Carolina.

Game against South Carolina

Ya'll just take that in for a minute, and then apologize for even thinking he deserves to be in the top 10. Look at those fugging ball skills! EW!!!

#70 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

• HUDDLER
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

We all have our opions but I don't think he's worthy of #9

#71 pantheresquire

pantheresquire

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Gilmore's perceived lack of performance is somewhat traceable to other factors:

1. Lorenzo Ward (his position coach at USC) is not a very good DB coach. The secondary, as a whole, was constantly out of position and just weren't well coached. For instance, in many of Gilmore's "lesser" moments during his sophomore year he was actually trying to play his man and make up for a missed assignment by a safety at the same time.

2. Although the USC defense has totaled a lot sacks over the past few years, our former defensive coordinator rarely, if ever, blitzed. QB's have a lot of time to throw against the USC defense and there's only so long that you can cover someone.

What I think is telling about Gilmore is he made a play at the end of the USC-NC State game 3 years ago that won the game. He was a true freshman in his first game and he broke up a pass in the endzone that would have won the game for NC State. He's fearless and he's aggressive, which I like.

I don't know if he's good enough to take at #9 but I like him better than Kirkpatrick. The best memory I have of Dre Kirkpatrick is getting abused by Alshon Jeffery.

#72 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Gilmore's perceived lack of performance is somewhat traceable to other factors:

1. Lorenzo Ward (his position coach at USC) is not a very good DB coach. The secondary, as a whole, was constantly out of position and just weren't well coached. For instance, in many of Gilmore's "lesser" moments during his sophomore year he was actually trying to play his man and make up for a missed assignment by a safety at the same time.

2. Although the USC defense has totaled a lot sacks over the past few years, our former defensive coordinator rarely, if ever, blitzed. QB's have a lot of time to throw against the USC defense and there's only so long that you can cover someone.

What I think is telling about Gilmore is he made a play at the end of the USC-NC State game 3 years ago that won the game. He was a true freshman in his first game and he broke up a pass in the endzone that would have won the game for NC State. He's fearless and he's aggressive, which I like.

I don't know if he's good enough to take at #9 but I like him better than Kirkpatrick. The best memory I have of Dre Kirkpatrick is getting abused by Alshon Jeffery.

And the excuses keep comin...

That's what happens when a prospect comes from a Carolina school. Half of these users like the Cocks.

#73 ClarkCam

ClarkCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Well, they were kind of blowing that team out.... I know when I played, I became less motivated when we were blowing out a team. That is all I can think of for that performance. He obviously has more talent than that, when he is shown against higher ranked teams with more talent.

#74 pantheresquire

pantheresquire

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

And the excuses keep comin...

That's what happens when a prospect comes from a Carolina school. Half of these users like the Cocks.

My post doesn't advocate one way or another for him. Just providing information that I thought some mind find interesting. Of course I've only watched every single one of his games in college, so what do I know?

If we were drafting based off of school allegiance I'd rather have Ingram. But he's not what the Panthers need...

#75 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

My post doesn't advocate one way or another for him. Just providing information that I thought some mind find interesting. Of course I've only watched every single one of his games in college, so what do I know?

If we were drafting based off of school allegiance I'd rather have Ingram. But he's not what the Panthers need...

I watch every USC game also and Gilmore is not an elite corner. USC has one of the best pass rushes in the country and Gilmore still got torched many times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.