Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobcats Rebrand Update Thread (Real Charlotte Fans-Censorship Free Edition)

509 posts in this topic

Posted

Says Jim Crow Advocates MadHater & Rock N Rolla. That really hurts my feelings coming from you two.

Hey PanthAZ, I like how your international HORNETS website has a bunch of NOLA Hornets fans clowning the Charlotte Hornet nostalgists. HA! Telling you guys you'll never get your name back and how the Hornets belong to NO. How your revolutionary history means jack. LMAO. Like I said man, yall look bad. And its never gonna happen. Bobcats will be here longer than you will.

Posted

madhatter gets pissy when someone points out how blatantly racist he is

Posted

Translation: "we should be able to trash Bobcats fans and the Bobcats with no recourse"

"If you dont think a sorry Hornets franchise is God's gift to earth you're a hater!"

Really?!?!

This could not be further from the truth. I respect (and appreciate) the current fans of the Bobcats. I don't trash things that I don't truly believe need to be reevaluated. I truly believe the Bobcats are a product of mismanagement and overall laziness. Bob Johnson brought an NBA team back to Charlotte, yes. But he did so in a way where he seemed to think the pre-established NBA fandom in Charlotte would just do all the work for him. He refused to listen to people's opinions for names (I'm not even talking about the Hornets name), and he overall did not make many (if any) decisions that benefited Charlotte or our Franchise.

For the second part of your statement, you again could not be further from the truth. Yes we want the Hornets name, because it has an already established brand recognition.... But don't believe for 1 second that I, and probably most of these people, wouldn't settle for a re branding to anything really.

What we're dealing with now is a Brand that's reputation is so tarnished with negative feelings and stuck in the gutter, that it really seems logical to start anew. I love Charlotte. I Love the Carolinas. But this Bobcats brand was a failure.

***DISCLAIMER***

This is all my opinion. If you disagree with everything I've said, or just part of it, please feel free to offer your opinion and your stance on the current state of OUR franchise.

But please don't just turn to blind insults and conversation killing assumptions of another person's thoughts. THat just makes you, and more importantly our fanbase and community look bad.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thats your opinion. I respect actual Bobcats fans opinion a little more. Me personally I think fans who trip off names and logos more than the actual product are a failure. But thats just me.

Posted

I haven't watched the NBA really since the Hornets left. Watch a lot more college bball because of what went down. I supported the Bobcats coming to Charlotte because it is good for the city. I would be more interested in the team if it was the Hornets only because I am hopelessly nostalgic. But me attending 1-2 games a year and buying a tshirt isnt going to save this franchise because it hasn't been well run since the get go. Both owners are at fault for that. I wish MJ was an absentee owner and let everyone else make personal decisions.

1 person likes this

Posted

But I didn't mind the name when it was announced. Yes, I was upset that Bob didn't consider the fan feedback, but in the end I accepted his choice and was a fan.

However, professional sports is a business. Business requires sustainability. Sustainability requires a respectable brand and image.

If it can bring more fans to the arena. If it can garner us more respect to be able to get choice free agents. If it can coincide with a resurgence of the product on the court... Then I don't see why a rebrand would not work.

It just doesn't make sense to not at least consider it. It doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the Bobcats. It just comes down to looking at sports team as a business, and not just entertainment.

Posted

I wish MJ was an absentee owner and let everyone else make personal decisions.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm interested to see how much power and control Cho is given in the coming off season.

Posted

It wouldn't work because the actual Hornets franchise still exists in NO and retains the rights. It wouldnt work because Bobcats management has 0 interest in it. It wouldnt work because Charlotte Hornet nostalgists are only good at driving businesses away, not supporting them.

Posted

I'm just talking about a rebrand in general. The Hornets name however, should become available soon.

How do you know Bobcats management has 0 interest?

We didn't drive the team out, KT. I'm not sure why you keep saying that. Shinn was a sleazebag, and already committed to leave. How can a bunch of fans convince him to stay?

And for the record, I still went that final season, to every game. I imagine the people that didn't were just turned off by the fact that it was a lame duck season, where attending games would only go to giving profit to a man who was taking your beloved franchise... It makes sense that people didn't go. Charlotte didn't fail the Hornets. Just because we didn't vote to build a new stadium doesn't mean it's our fault. Maybe people's opinions were just that, we already have a stadium we fill every game...why does our city have to suffer the financial burden to build a new stadium?

Posted

people don't want a franchise brand associated with bob johnson, but they want a franchise brand associated with a rapist junkie

Posted

people don't want a franchise brand associated with bob johnson, but they want a franchise brand associated with a rapist junkie

No they want a name that has an association with Charlotte. The nickname derives from the American Revolutionary War, when British commander General Cornwallis occupied the city but was driven out by hostile residents, prompting him to write that Charlotte was "a hornet's nest of rebellion," leading to the nickname The Hornet's Nest. The name should have never left, but Shinnridge owned it so they took it. Hornets mean nothing to New Orleans that is why Benson wants to change it and that is why Charlotte should take it back. The Hornets name actually means something to Charlotte and it only makes sense to try and get it back.

Posted

He's from Kannapolis and he's not black. That goes a long way locally.

When Bob was owner, people gave LB all credit.

Now MJ is owner, people want Cho to get all the credit.

You never see this dynamic with JR and Hurney. The employee takes the brunt of the criticism, while the owner is infalliable.