Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam Newton's Sophmore Slump [Article]

93 posts in this topic

Posted

breaking news!

a *** has been spotted between the letters I, K, and L on your keyboard!

Posted

A curse and a slump are no match for swag.... Does the article writer mention our running game improving as the season went on??? Didn't think so. Nice try big fat pat. Now go eat some crawdads!

Posted

the stuff about josh johnson and josh freeman outpassing newton is a red herring as well.

we opened up a can on that team and were thoroughly beating the ever loving poo out of them by the half in both games. what else could they do down 21 and watching us march down the field at will? they had to chuck it.

johnson only passed for like 25 more yards than newton in the first game at TB by the way. the second one was a blowout and probably the most dominant performance by a panthers team since '09 @ the giants. newton accounted for 8 combined touchdowns in both of those games which is what actually fuging matters because the offense's job is to score points.

It's pretty basic argument this article and myself have brought up, the largest reason for early fascination with Cam is the amount passing yards he threw for. But when you factor in the lockout, his play being new to defenses, and the diminishing success of pass game as defenses were better prepared and season progressed, the stat becomes less extraordinary, as it seems to just be a factor of easy schedule and unprepared defenses.

The argument about increase in run game doesn't exactly wash either. The difference in run game from first 8 games compared to final 8 was only about a 30 yard difference. Further, and more important to the point, those run yards include an increasing portion from Cam himself. The same throws he was able to make early in the season, where no longer open or as easy to make so he was pulling down ball and running more.

The article basically makes the point that his best statistics came in first 8 games, which was a result of defenses unpracticed because of lockout. Once the teams went into 2nd half of season, the stats for Cam were a lot more ordinary.

Bottom line, he is saying with no lockout this year and Cam no longer an unseen product, he will be the more ordinary player of the last 8 games. He argues that the situation of easy defenses and easy schedule first half the season were more of a freshman fluke, and that's why he isn't going to have a Sophmore slump since he is really the regular stat producing rookie from last 8 games and will continue to be regular with no lockout this year.

Posted

nothing screams "i desperately scoured askjeeves.com for DAYS man" like posting an article from duane's corner as solid speculation

Posted

nothing screams "i desperately scoured askjeeves.com for DAYS man" like posting an article from duane's corner as solid speculation

Oh yeah I was looking for DAYS to find this old article that published 8 hours ago! You already made your comment, move along.

Posted

Oh yeah I was looking for DAYS to find this old article that published 8 hours ago! You already made your comment, move along.

The same could be said for you. I have never seen someone so clueless to the world until you came along.

Posted

So, lemme get this straight... when Carolina was up 21-0 at halftime against the Texans, Cam should've come out passing in the third quarter?

I suppose Carolina's vaunted defensive backfield that includes Sherrod Martin and Captain Munnerlyn had nothing to do with opposing quarterbacks' yardage totals. It was all Cam; he empowered those quarterbacks to make better throws.

Please people, quit responding to Fat Pat. You're giving an attention ho what it wants.

Posted

Fat and this other guy didnt watch the games so they wouldnt know. The d let cam down. The only game cam really blew it was the game against atl with some poor decisions. We are not concerned big fat pat, but you should be.

Posted

So, lemme get this straight... when Carolina was up 21-0 at halftime against the Texans, Cam should've come out passing in the third quarter?

I suppose Carolina's vaunted defensive backfield that includes Sherrod Martin and Captain Munnerlyn had nothing to do with opposing quarterbacks' yardage totals. It was all Cam; he empowered those quarterbacks to make better throws.

Please people, quit responding to Fat Pat. You're giving an attention ho what it wants.

Yet you respond to him? I like responding to him. It makes me feel smart!

Posted

This is a very reliable website with experts and stuff...

http://mobile.derp/2012/4/15/2950021/how-real-is-the-sophomore-slump

Posted

It's pretty basic argument this article and myself have brought up, the largest reason for early fascination with Cam is the amount passing yards he threw for. But when you factor in the lockout, his play being new to defenses, and the diminishing success of pass game as defenses were better prepared and season progressed, the stat becomes less extraordinary, as it seems to just be a factor of easy schedule and unprepared defenses.

The argument about increase in run game doesn't exactly wash either. The difference in run game from first 8 games compared to final 8 was only about a 30 yard difference. Further, and more important to the point, those run yards include an increasing portion from Cam himself. The same throws he was able to make early in the season, where no longer open or as easy to make so he was pulling down ball and running more.

The article basically makes the point that his best statistics came in first 8 games, which was a result of defenses unpracticed because of lockout. Once the teams went into 2nd half of season, the stats for Cam were a lot more ordinary.

Bottom line, he is saying with no lockout this year and Cam no longer an unseen product, he will be the more ordinary player of the last 8 games. He argues that the situation of easy defenses and easy schedule first half the season were more of a freshman fluke, and that's why he isn't going to have a Sophmore slump since he is really the regular stat producing rookie from last 8 games and will continue to be regular with no lockout this year.

18680175.jpg