Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Dat Pat

Cam Newton's Sophmore Slump [Article]

93 posts in this topic

I think the guy that started this thread is praying, and possibly wrote the article under a pen name. But then again, if anyone knows about NFL slumps, it would be a saints fan.

Strange, I read a sports related article, yet you saw a prayer? Written under a pen name? Was this the Gospel of Duane?

Strange, I read a sports related article, yet you saw a prayer? Written under a pen name? Was this the Gospel of Duane?

I don't know the pick up lines of your boyfriend if that's what you're asking.

"I don’t believe Cam Newton will have a sophomore slump, I think Newton was a rookie fluke but only time will tell if he is the next Michael Vick or the next Vince Young. However it turns out, Cam Newton can rest assured that at the very least, Andy Reid has probably taken notice."

http://www.duanescorner.com/

What does this even mean?

"I THINK HIS ROOKIE YEAR WAS A FLUKE BUT HE WILL DO IT AGAIN."

What does this even mean?

"I THINK HIS ROOKIE YEAR WAS A FLUKE BUT HE WILL DO IT AGAIN."

He is saying he believes Cam will not have a slump because last year was a fluke, which he later explains all his great play was first half the season due to lockout and defenses not prepared. Bottom line, Cam is really the average guy from second half the season and next year he will continue the average.

So the slump will not really be a slump because he was never that good to begin with, he just had a fluke first half of the season.

He is saying he believes Cam will not have a slump because last year was a fluke, which he later explains all his great play was first half the season due to lockout and defenses not prepared. Bottom line, Cam is really the average guy from second half the season and next year he will continue the average.

So the slump will not really be a slump because he was never that good to begin with, he just had a fluke first half of the season.

several people have written paper bricks explaining why this thinking is incorrect and this sentiment is inaccurate in this thread. the gaudy stats went away because the offensive approach changed and became more efficient. oddly it was the option stuff that teams weren't able to stop as they had started playing coverage because defensive coordinators realized that cam was a threat to pass and they couldn't really load up against the run anymore.

he's looking at a stat sheet and not watching the games. i don't expect him or you to ditch your saints homerhood but it's pretty obvious.

several people have written paper bricks explaining why this thinking is incorrect and this sentiment is inaccurate in this thread. the gaudy stats went away because the offensive approach changed and became more efficient. oddly it was the option stuff that teams weren't able to stop as they started playing coverage because defensive coordinators realized that cam was a threat to pass and couldn't load up against the run anymore.

he's looking at a stat sheet and not watching the games. i don't expect him or you to ditch your saints homerhood but it's pretty obvious.

First off, I was just responding to the reading comprehension question asked. Secondly, go back two his late March articles if you think the guy is a Saints fan or even pro Saints.

First off, I was just responding to the reading comprehension question asked. Secondly, go back two his late March articles if you think the guy is a Saints fan or even pro Saints.

well i take it back if he's in fact not a saints fan. it doesn't matter though because his post is not accurate and his reasoning is flawed.

you also aligned yourself with him in your original post so responding to you is fair game:

Article basically makes the same point I did, almost no wins, all wins against inferior opponents, best numbers at begining of season when defenses where weak from no offseason.

So, Cam in a slump must still be better than most qb's best.

So, Cam in a slump must still be better than most qb's best.

the post isn't arguing that cam will "slump" so much as it's arguing that he's in fact average.

i can buy the sophomore slump angle because it's been documented that rookies sometimes regress in their sophomore seasons. it's not particularly sturdy but at least it's something that's happened enough times to justify it being a thing.

the argument that he's actually just average and defenses caught on to what he was doing and slowed him down as the season went on just makes no sense if you actually watch the games. it implies that he's a one trick pony even though the panthers morphed from something of a more conventional NFL-flavored spread out of the gates to a sort of spread option with a different run/pass balance in the second half of the season.

even if what this guy is saying is true and defenses did in fact catch on and cam wasn't nearly as effective and we ignore the strong counter arguments to this proposition, it still doesn't mean a whole lot as that's something that happens to almost all rookie quarterbacks. what he does with this offseason and how he continues to work on his game will be what matters.