92 replies to this topic

#16 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,476 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

nothing screams "i desperately scoured askjeeves.com for DAYS man" like posting an article from duane's corner as solid speculation

#17 Who Dat Pat

Who Dat Pat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWho Dat Nation

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

nothing screams "i desperately scoured askjeeves.com for DAYS man" like posting an article from duane's corner as solid speculation

Oh yeah I was looking for DAYS to find this old article that published 8 hours ago! You already made your comment, move along.

#18 party_animal

party_animal

Big Member

• ALL-PRO
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Oh yeah I was looking for DAYS to find this old article that published 8 hours ago! You already made your comment, move along.

The same could be said for you. I have never seen someone so clueless to the world until you came along.

#19 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,780 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

So, lemme get this straight... when Carolina was up 21-0 at halftime against the Texans, Cam should've come out passing in the third quarter?

I suppose Carolina's vaunted defensive backfield that includes Sherrod Martin and Captain Munnerlyn had nothing to do with opposing quarterbacks' yardage totals. It was all Cam; he empowered those quarterbacks to make better throws.

Please people, quit responding to Fat Pat. You're giving an attention ho what it wants.

#20 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Fat and this other guy didnt watch the games so they wouldnt know. The d let cam down. The only game cam really blew it was the game against atl with some poor decisions. We are not concerned big fat pat, but you should be.

#21 Baby Andy Reid

Baby Andy Reid

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

So, lemme get this straight... when Carolina was up 21-0 at halftime against the Texans, Cam should've come out passing in the third quarter?

I suppose Carolina's vaunted defensive backfield that includes Sherrod Martin and Captain Munnerlyn had nothing to do with opposing quarterbacks' yardage totals. It was all Cam; he empowered those quarterbacks to make better throws.

Please people, quit responding to Fat Pat. You're giving an attention ho what it wants.

Yet you respond to him? I like responding to him. It makes me feel smart!

#22 KBRed

KBRed

Scooter Swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

This is a very reliable website with experts and stuff...

http://mobile.catscratchreader.com/2012/4/15/2950021/how-real-is-the-sophomore-slump

#23 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

http://www.kilmenyni...ion/FatPat.html

#24 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

It's pretty basic argument this article and myself have brought up, the largest reason for early fascination with Cam is the amount passing yards he threw for. But when you factor in the lockout, his play being new to defenses, and the diminishing success of pass game as defenses were better prepared and season progressed, the stat becomes less extraordinary, as it seems to just be a factor of easy schedule and unprepared defenses.

The argument about increase in run game doesn't exactly wash either. The difference in run game from first 8 games compared to final 8 was only about a 30 yard difference. Further, and more important to the point, those run yards include an increasing portion from Cam himself. The same throws he was able to make early in the season, where no longer open or as easy to make so he was pulling down ball and running more.

The article basically makes the point that his best statistics came in first 8 games, which was a result of defenses unpracticed because of lockout. Once the teams went into 2nd half of season, the stats for Cam were a lot more ordinary.

Bottom line, he is saying with no lockout this year and Cam no longer an unseen product, he will be the more ordinary player of the last 8 games. He argues that the situation of easy defenses and easy schedule first half the season were more of a freshman fluke, and that's why he isn't going to have a Sophmore slump since he is really the regular stat producing rookie from last 8 games and will continue to be regular with no lockout this year.

Posted Image

#25 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,780 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

The difference in run game from first 8 games compared to final 8 was only about a 30 yard difference.

Try a 41.75 yard difference per game. At 5.4 yards a carry (team average for the year) that is 7.73 extra rushes per game in the last 8 games.
If those 7.73 extra rushes were passes, at 6.9 yards per attempt (average for the year) that is 53.35 passing yards per game that went to the ground game instead.

#26 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

Cam is at his best throwing pinpoint accurate deep passes. When the opposition started to focus more on taking away the deep ball, and giving up the short and intermediate routes, Cam came back down to earth. Why? Cam goes on long stretches where he throws one bad medium range pass after another. The ball sails high, or is otherwise way off target, and this usually comes in bunches. It's partly a mechanical problem, a mental problem, and the result of an o-line that can't pass block for sh!t against a good defense. We had one player on our o-line who was good a pass blocking, LT Jordan Gross. Every other o-lineman out there was below average at pass blocking. Rookie QB + below average pass blocking = wildly off target throws.

In order for Cam to play with more consistency, we have no choice but to upgrade our o-line. We have already dumped our starting LG, and traded one of our RBs for a RT. Also our starting RT was injured for most of last season, and he'll be coming back hopefully. In addition, I'd bet all the gumbo in N'awlins we're going to draft a great pass blocking RG to complete the o-line. Those moves, coupled with a more experieced Cam, should result in more consistent play.

#27 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,121 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

It's pretty basic argument this article and myself have brought up, the largest reason for early fascination with Cam is the amount passing yards he threw for. But when you factor in the lockout, his play being new to defenses, and the diminishing success of pass game as defenses were better prepared and season progressed, the stat becomes less extraordinary, as it seems to just be a factor of easy schedule and unprepared defenses.

The argument about increase in run game doesn't exactly wash either. The difference in run game from first 8 games compared to final 8 was only about a 30 yard difference. Further, and more important to the point, those run yards include an increasing portion from Cam himself. The same throws he was able to make early in the season, where no longer open or as easy to make so he was pulling down ball and running more.

The article basically makes the point that his best statistics came in first 8 games, which was a result of defenses unpracticed because of lockout. Once the teams went into 2nd half of season, the stats for Cam were a lot more ordinary.

Bottom line, he is saying with no lockout this year and Cam no longer an unseen product, he will be the more ordinary player of the last 8 games. He argues that the situation of easy defenses and easy schedule first half the season were more of a freshman fluke, and that's why he isn't going to have a Sophmore slump since he is really the regular stat producing rookie from last 8 games and will continue to be regular with no lockout this year.

yes it's fantastic that some other dude on the internet shares an opinion with you. his site is basically no better than a bunch of forum posts and the fact that he ponies up $25 a month for hosting and a domain doesn't mean anything.

the rushing yardage doesn't matter. it's all about attempts because those take the football out of cam's hands. it's just a fact that our rushing attempts increased as the season went on. a lot of cam's runs were called, particularly red zone attempts and short yardage situations. the option plays added an interesting wrinkle to the offense so the coaching staff continued to run them because they were successful. you're basically arguing that he's thoroughly ordinary and has already reached his ceiling, which i absolutely believe is bullshit. but you and daune can have that i guess. still thinking that cam newton is vince young is hardly a unique opinion.

for everything said about defenses being "unprepared" and all that you also have to consider that cam learned to run an NFL offense in six weeks with no training camp and ran it very efficiently with the bonus of putting up gaudy numbers early. dalton was the only other rookie who produced numbers remotely similar to newton's and he was in a ball control offense backed by a much better defense. ponder showed some flashes but was pretty average, gabbert sucked, and jake locker only got real playing time in like 3 games.

newton beat out all the other rookies as a passer. that's not even considering the other 14 offensive touchdowns he generated. what you witnessed was not a shift in production so much as a shift in team performance and playcalling.

So let me get this straight....Cam is dinged because he was all stats and no wins but then when he does win (The Texans) TJ Yates throws for more yards so Cam is dinged for having worse stats and winning?

Anyone can post on the Internet.

remember the pro bowl? it's just like that.

it's a meaningless game and the fact that he made it doesn't mean anything at all but how he plays is a very strong indicator of his worth as a quarterback and is a window into what the rest of his career will be like.

#28 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,719 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Obviously this blogger like the OP are not Panther fans and are looking at a stat sheet to make their conclusions. As I have said all along, the numbers are the numbers but the interpretation is the issue. Anyone who watched the Panthers knows that we did very different things in the last 8 games versus the first 8 games as we figured out what we were doing and what we had. Plus the offense and particularly the running game was a much bigger part of our offense than in the beginning when we passed most of the time. The drop off in passing yards was not a function of defenses figuring us out as it was by design. We used more pistol formations and ran a spread option which was very different than running a traditional shotgun offense as we did out of the chute.
How did defenses figure us out when we were still installing the offense 10 weeks into the season?? What ever they figured out wasn't what we doing if they watched film from earlier weeks.

And anyone who can say a rookie performance was a fluke when we had no off-season or preseason to prepare doesn't have a clue. The reality is that teams that spend too much time analyzing film from last year are going to be surprised when they find out that what we run this year won't look exactly like last year as we evolve this offense with a full off-season and training camp. Newton is not a 1 trick pony who showed it all last year but is a raw athletic phenomenon who is only going to get better with time and experience.
I know the rest of the league hopes that this type of myopic thinking is the case, but unfortunately for them it isn't the case. I am looking forward to see what Chud is going to do with a full off-season to prepare and 1 year under his belt. I think that this year will be even more explosive than last year as we figure out how to score in the redzone and newton figures out how to finish in fourth quarter. I think we average close to 30 points a game this year.

As for the OP, once he implied that defenses we faced were more impacted by the lockout than our offense, you can ignore the rest. That kind of logic indicated he doesn't have even a basic understanding of football.

#29 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,267 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

The entire premise of the article is flawed. Cam's huge passing yardage numbers weren't indicative of the quality of his play at that time. He was a much better passer by the end of the year then he was early on with all the huge numbers. His efficiency numbers steadily climbed through the year, and the drop in total production masked his efficient outings during that span (like 3 passing TDs on 17 throws vs Tampa!)

Football Outsiders has very interesting outlook on this very topic, noting that Cam was playing at a top 5 DYAR level on a per play basis by the end of the season. Not top five for a rookie. Top five for ALL quarterbacks.

#30 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I think the guy that started this thread is praying, and possibly wrote the article under a pen name. But then again, if anyone knows about NFL slumps, it would be a saints fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com