Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,723 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...-112459850.html

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. (AP) — Police in Georgia handcuffed a kindergartner after the girl threw a tantrum and the police chief defended the action.
The girl's family demanded Tuesday that this central Georgia city change policy so that other children aren't treated the same way. They say the child was shaken up by being put in a cell at the police station.

Salecia Johnson, 6, was accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture in an outburst Friday at Creekside Elementary School, Macon television station WMAZ-TV(http://on.wmaz.com/HPb7nr ) reported. Police said the girl knocked over a shelf that injured the principal.

The school called police. The police report says when an officer tried to calm the child in the principal's office, she resisted and was handcuffed. The girl was charged with simple assault and damage to property.

What you think?

Depends on the situation... based on the little bit of info provided in the article, the police didn't really act inappropriately in my opinion.

If the child is uncontrollable and posing a danger to herself and others, what other action could be taken?

My wife is a special ed teacher with a Masters in Behavioral & Emotional Disorders... she deals with kids like this all the time and has in the past called the police and filed charges against unruly students... generally this is done when kids are out of control to the point that they are un-restrainable (which she is trained in) and are in danger of hurting themselves or someone else.

The article says the family wants the town to change it's policy of handcuffing children... but what is the alternative in a situation like this? Even a teacher/social worker/cop trained in restraint can only do so much if a child is out of control.

#2 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

I don’t have a problem with it. In a world where we don’t spank kids this will go a long way in deterring future outbursts for this kid.

#3 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,009 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Six year olds are dangerous, bro.

#4 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Handcuffs or zip ties.

#5 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

I don’t have a problem with it. In a world where we don’t spank kids this will go a long way in deterring future outbursts for this kid.

Wait. We don't spank kids anymore?

#6 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Wait. We don't spank kids anymore?

not near enough

#7 southcakalac

southcakalac

Wharton Fan Club

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Shes just lucky that she didn't get tased.

#8 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

I don't think there's any harm in it. I think the girl's family should be more interested their policy of raising their child rather than the policy of the city.

#9 Mattiekrome

Mattiekrome

The Feast... Is Mine

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Surprised there isnt a lawsuit

#10 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Six year olds are dangerous, bro.

A kid in my sons class tried to stab another kid in the eye with a pencil. There is no room in the world, in my opinion, for a child like that. I don't want my son to be damaged for life at a place I send him to get an education because a little brat is forced to go as well.

#11 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,723 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

A kid in my sons class tried to stab another kid in the eye with a pencil. There is no room in the world, in my opinion, for a child like that. I don't want my son to be damaged for life at a place I send him to get an education because a little brat is forced to go as well.

My wife and I have had many discussions along these lines... she used to be (back when she was fresh out of school filled with the garbage of college professors) very pro-inclusion for special ed students. Even those with severe behavioral disorders... now, after nearly 20 years in the classroom, she agrees with me that kid with disruptive behaviors do not need to be in class with average students as it stunts the growth of the whole class.

Every child is entitled to an education, but not at the expense of other children. Children that have special needs, whether they be physical, emotional or behavioral should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis to determine what's best for them AND the other students that they may affect.

#12 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

My wife and I have had many discussions along these lines... she used to be (back when she was fresh out of school filled with the garbage of college professors) very pro-inclusion for special ed students. Even those with severe behavioral disorders... now, after nearly 20 years in the classroom, she agrees with me that kid with disruptive behaviors do not need to be in class with average students as it stunts the growth of the whole class.

Every child is entitled to an education, but not at the expense of other children. Children that have special needs, whether they be physical, emotional or behavioral should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis to determine what's best for them AND the other students that they may affect.

That kid was sent to another class after he did that but it did not fix the problem, it just passed it along to another teacher. I agree that there should be special classes for children with behavioral problems. My sons teacher and I have a great relationship and she knows that he is there to learn not for me to have a free baby sitter.

#13 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Sounds like she needed a belt across the face.

#14 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,472 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

If my 6 year old was cuffed then I would be also. I'd beat the badge off that cock sucker.

#15 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Seems every year there's a few kids in my kid's classes that just don't know how to act like freaking normal people. It's like they were plucked out of token dysfuntional families and spread out evenly across teachers. I think we need to shut down a school here and there and convert them to alternative schools. No need to hold back kids because of jerks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com