Photo
- - - - -

Money Down The Drain...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#21 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

you honestly believe that things have always been this way? the government and private sector working in tandem to exploit every ounce of unprotected information available to them while simultaneously working to destroy what few protections are left?

Actually there are quite a bit of protection rules in place. The laws, rules and restrictions regarding online privacy are many, and just having to learn them and any modifications that are made takes up a good portion of my time, since its my job to know this stuff these days. Gramm Leach Bliley alone (and the various decisions that have come out of it) could fill a large phonebook. And for the most part, the government doesn't give a crap about what you or I say or do online.

why are we as private citizens forced to become more and more transparent in the name of profit and security while the government legislates itself into a more and more opaque institution (all supposedly for our own good?)

I don't agree that we are forced to become more transparent. We do it voluntarily, or sometimes because we don't understand the technology. There are some areas we have no control over (such as property record searches that are largely online now) but even there, the data was always publicly available, you just had to go to the city hall records department. Whereas now, you can do it online. The rules are the same, but the technology has made it easier.

things haven't always been this way. i understand that some of it is just the price of doing business but this isn't happening accidentally.

Rules regarding privacy in public versus private are basically the same as they always have been. The technology is what is different. Statements made in public have never been considered private, but now the courts have to determine in an online world what is private and what is public.

#22 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

you honestly believe that things have always been this way? the government and private sector working in tandem to exploit every ounce of unprotected information available to them while simultaneously working to destroy what few protections are left?

why are we as private citizens forced to become more and more transparent in the name of profit and security while the government legislates itself into a more and more opaque institution (all supposedly for our own good?)

things haven't always been this way. i understand that some of it is just the price of doing business but this isn't happening accidentally.

not what I was saying at all. Traffic logging has always been around, and governments have always had the ability to subpoena company records. Now it will be easier to do it and coordinate efforts with ISPs and websites to create trails of evidence.

There is no one holding a gun to your head demanding you use the internet and while I am an outspoken critic of any laws that attempt to reduce the freedom of information on the internet, the idea that somehow there will not be ways to monitor traffic is silly.

I will say I am much more concerned with the private sector using this information than government at this time at least. And that's just because it's annoying and freaky when I get ads for something I already own when I hit a web site because Google knows I've been searching for information on it.

#23 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

SUPPORTER

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

the proliferation of fear in America. This is what we get