Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Whats Up With All This Cam Slump Garbage?

Cam Newton Sophomore Slump Haters Cam

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FuaMeOnce

FuaMeOnce

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

In various threads across the interweb, I've noticed a tremendous amount of "Cam is just gonna fall off this year." "Cam is going to fall back down to earth, hard!" NOT HAPPENING. " I dont mind making the "bold prediction". People can't help but downplay everything he has done and will do. He shut those butt hurts up his rookie year, he's gonna do it this year. Will it be a 4000+ passing year? probably not... but hes going lead a winning team and make a playoff push, and that's what every team wants. I say hes going to finish the year a top 10 QB. Haters gonna Hate!

Thoughts, predictions?

WARNING: (in case you haven't noticed) Cam circle jerk thread time.

#2 Cape Fear Cat

Cape Fear Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I suspect that like Smitty, Cam feeds off those naysayers who declare he "can't" do something. All people like that do are provide tinder for the fire that burns in the kid, and that means someone is likely to get torched.

#3 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

I am expecting Cam to make some strides in his second season, but I think, much like Mr. Scot, that Cam's style of play is always going to lead to high risk- high reward games.

However, I do think he has the potential to be the most explosive, play making quarterback this league has ever seen.

Even at the possible worst, he would be an average passer and an elite runner. Which would always make him a top 10 QB.
If he continues to progress passing, to very good passer and an elite runner, then he comes a perennial top 5.
If he continues to progress even further, to an elite passer and elite runner, then he is the best QB in the league.

So far, with the continuous work he has put in, he has given me no reason to believe he cannot become the best QB in the league.

We are going to have someone really exciting to watch for a long time.

#4 FuaMeOnce

FuaMeOnce

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

I suspect that like Smitty, Cam feeds off those naysayers who declare he "can't" do something.

naysayers will always be there, I get that. but WTF hes gonna be 5 years pro, and have great numbers and people will still say hes no good.

#5 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

it's popular now because of the "sophomore slump" saying..............

and all these idiots think they can predict this sh*t.

#6 Match.com

Match.com

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

I really wish things turn out great this year for cam but I will reserve my hopes until week one....I just hate to be dissappointed...

#7 bigdog10

bigdog10

• HUDDLER
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

I don't really have problems with people thinking he will regress a little because it very well may happen (defenses have more time to gameplan and have seen his tape).

With that being said, I hear absolutely nothing about Andy Dalton having a 2nd year slump which to me is utter bulls**t. Some of the stuff i've read has been talking about the Bengals as a team who can get off to a fast start and really put pressure on Pitt and Baltimore.

I don't understand how Dalton can be seen as an unshakable 2nd year player, yet Cam will see a slump. If one is going to have a sompmore slump, then the other is going to encounter the same thing.

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Well, a large majority of 2nd year players struggle at QB.....so that isn't really Cam specific. Just playing the odds.

I think the easiest way to avoid that is to add new players and looks on offense. Players look to be the same so Chud needs to really do a good job this year.

A heavy repeat of last years offense will let defenses really key in on picking apart Cams game

#9 FuaMeOnce

FuaMeOnce

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

Chuds a good oc, he'll make it work.

#10 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

In various threads across the interweb, I've noticed a tremendous amount of "Cam is just gonna fall off this year." "Cam is going to fall back down to earth, hard!" NOT HAPPENING. " I dont mind making the "bold prediction". People can't help but downplay everything he has done and will do. He shut those butt hurts up his rookie year, he's gonna do it this year. Will it be a 4000+ passing year? probably not... but hes going lead a winning team and make a playoff push, and that's what every team wants. I say hes going to finish the year a top 10 QB. Haters gonna Hate!

Thoughts, predictions?

You just shouldn't be concerned with threads throughout the internet, they really have no bearing on how things will play out.

#11 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sophomore slumps aren't uncommon, but I suspect Cam will be ok this season. His demeanor is similar to Smitty's, (like someone already mentioned- chip on his shoulder.) and with Chud's creative and aggressive playcalling, Cam should be good to go.

#12 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

I don't really have problems with people thinking he will regress a little because it very well may happen (defenses have more time to gameplan and have seen his tape).

With that being said, I hear absolutely nothing about Andy Dalton having a 2nd year slump which to me is utter bulls**t.  Some of the stuff i've read has been talking about the Bengals as a team who can get off to a fast start and really put pressure on Pitt and Baltimore.

I don't understand how Dalton can be seen as an unshakable 2nd year player, yet Cam will see a slump.   If one is going to have a sompmore slump, then the other is going to encounter the same thing.

I think the biggest reason is no one is actually talking about Andy Dalton anyway.

#13 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thoughts, predictions?

There are folks are simply haters. No matter what Cam does, they will always have that...wait until or can he do? They refuse to accept that he's good.

#14 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I think alot of folks thinks Cam got "lucky" his rookie year. Teams had no tape on him and thus couldn't gameplan for him and Cam did make some rookie mistakes. For some reason alot of people think he threw way too many picks. 17... he threw barely 1 more pick than games played.

Superbowl winning quarterback Eli Manning threw 16 last season, 1 less. Go look at the season's stats and Cam's amount of picks is right in the tier behind Rodgers, Brady, Brees. Anything under 20 picks for someone who throws the ball so much had been considered remarkable for decades, but because Brady and Rodgers have gone under 10 a few times, anything less isn't up to snuff.

I don't buy the gametape bullshit. Every week we as Panther fans last season got to hear about how "our DC is gonna try to confuse Cam with blitz packages" and every week said DC failed miserably.

I think alot of rookies fall into sophomore slumps because they succeed almost entirely on talent and athleticism their rookie year, but then don't put the work required to develop into a premier threat - thus the gametape will allow defenses to take away their athleticism. Lucky for us this isn't the case for Cam. The kid busts his ass and will do whatever it takes to become as good of a traditional passer as Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Blend that in with his incredible natural athleticism and he's going to be the best to ever play the position.

#15 Who Dat Pat

Who Dat Pat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationWho Dat Nation

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

ARTICLE:

While The Denver Broncos’ The Golden Calf of Bristol ended up dominating the headlines of The 2011 NFL Regular Season, The Carolina Panthers’ Cam Newton was finishing an impressive rookie year including a rookie record 4,051 passing yards and wins in four of his last six games.  Cam Newton and The Golden Calf of Bristol had many doubters coming into the year and both players showed flashes of brilliance that have convinced many people that both players will have long term success in The NFL.  The Golden Calf of Bristol will need to develop with The 2012 New York Jets if that is to happen.  The Golden Calf of Bristol performed so well in 2011 that he was the proposed starter for The Broncos going into 2012′s summer training camp but then he was traded. Cam Newton performed so well that he won NFL Rookie of the Year and NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and Newton’s continued NFL success may be assumed.  However, like The Golden Calf of Bristol, Cam Newton will still have to prove that he can have long term success in The NFL following the 2012 Carolina Panthers season and The Cam Newton Sophomore Slump.

I do not believe in the so called sophomore slump as much as I believe in the freshman fluke.  I would not be surprised if most supposed sophomore slumps were followed by junior and senior season slumps, so the success of a rookie’s performance, as it is for every individual and every team, is largely dependent on scheduling.  It’s not so much that I am predicting Cam Newton’s sophomore slump but that Cam Newton’s rookie season may be a fluke. People only want to know the final numbers and are not concerned with how they were reached. It doesn’t matter that The Golden Calf of Bristol lost his final 3 regular season games; The Golden Calf of Bristol led The Broncos to the playoffs.  The Golden Calf of Bristol Nation believes his win/loss record and playoff victory earned him the right to start in 2012 but it wasn’t Tebow’s overall record that John Elway was evaluating; it was the detail and execution of his plays.

Cam Newton came out of the gate on fire, passing for 854 yards in his first two games and he would win his first game of the year in week 3 vs. The Jacksonville Jaguars.  Newton would go on to complete the first half of the season as the lead passer in 6 of the 8 games.  Newton set the tone early in the season that he is for real.  While The Panthers would finish the first half 2-6, Cam Newton would have higher game totals in passing yards than opponents Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler. However, Newton would have no victories over their teams and his week 8 match up vs. The Minnesota Vikings would be the last time he was a game’s passing leader.

Newton’s led Panthers would finish the second half of the season going 4-4 but only one season win over a team with a winning record.  The Panthers beat The Houston Texans in week 14 minus key offensive players including Texans starting quarterback Matt Schaub. That’s right; T.J. Yates had more passing yards than Cam Newton in their match up.  While The Panthers were winning, defending Cam Newton was becoming a challenge more easily accomplished than in the first half of the season.

In the second half of his rookie season, Newton’s passing yards per game totals would leave him runner up to the leader in all eight games.  Matt Hasselbeck, Chris Painter, T.J. Yates and both Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ quarterbacks, Josh Freeman and Josh Johnson would out pass Cam Newton.  Of Cam Newton’s 4051 passing yards, 34% would be achieved in games 1-4.  In games 5-8, Cam would amass another 25% of his season total, followed by 22% in games 9-12, and finishing the final four games with only 19% of his rookie season’s total passing yards.

Maybe it was the mental game wearing down on Newton but when we see his best games coming in September following an off season with a lock out, Cam Newton’s sophomore slump seems highly possible. In Week 1 Newton matched up against Kevin Kolb and The Arizona Cardinals, followed by The Green Bay Packers’ high powered offense and then The Bears’ week 4 match up, going toe to toe with what was still a Mike Martz ran offense at full strength.  If we take out those three games, Cam Newton’s record improves to a .461 win percentage as opposed to .375 but he would only have an average of 217 passing yards per game.  Newton’s touchdown to interception ratio and total rushing touchdowns were identical in both halves of the season. However, in addition to his victory over T.J. Yates and The Texans, Newton’s wins came against extremely inferior opposition as his passing yards per game declined throughout the season.

Rest of article at link:
http://www.duanescorner.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cam Newton Sophomore Slump, Haters, Cam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com