Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats Up With All This Cam Slump Garbage?

31 posts in this topic

Posted

We do need to re-sign Shockey though. I dont like taking weapons away from our young QB who is still learning. The more weapons, the better.

I'd like shock back more for his leadership. I think instead of running so many 2 TE sets that we did last year we will lean more towards 1 TE and 1 H-back. Tolbert is a great receiver and will get a lot of work as the H-back.

Posted

I don't necessarily think we will see Cam slump but it wouldn't surprise me if he had fewer passing and rushing yards this season. I could see him passing for 3800 yds and running for 500 but improving his efficiency by increasing his completion percentage and touchdown passes while reducing ints which would mean he had actually improved as a QB. Some people may categorize a 3800/500 yds, 64% comp rate, 26TD/12INT and 5 rushing TD's as a dissapointment or "slump" after last season but if he can put up those kinds of stats while leading a well balanced offense that results in 9+ wins I will be very happy.

That won't result in any big headlines like "4000 yard passer" or "NFL record rushing TD's for a QB" but it will show improvement and growth.

Now he could go apeshite and pass for 4500, 68%, 36/8 and run for an additional 800 with another 16TD's but I really think we will try to be more balanced on offense and let our RB's handle more of the running, especially around the goal line.

Posted

I don't think Cam will have a bad season but in many ways he may have a bit of a "slump" as teams play him differently and we exploit that difference. If our defense plays better, and our offense cuts down a bit on turnovers, I could see us not needing to lean on Cam's arms and legs so much, instead moving to pounding people into submission with our trio of backs once we get a nice lead.

Posted

I don't think Cam will have a bad season but in many ways he may have a bit of a "slump" as teams play him differently and we exploit that difference. If our defense plays better, and our offense cuts down a bit on turnovers, I could see us not needing to lean on Cam's arms and legs so much, instead moving to pounding people into submission with our trio of backs once we get a nice lead.

This^^^

Posted

I agree and if our D improves and we are actually leading some games instead of knowing we have to put up 35 pts to win his raw stat totals will probably decline, although it will be for all the right reasons. I would rather Cam have fewer yards and TD's (and our RB's have more) if that means we are winning 20-10 instead of losing 35-30.

Posted

I just know how hard he has been working and how much tape he has been watching on himself to improve on every area he needed improvement. Also he has said many times not making the playoffs in year 2 would be a major failure and he isn't going to allow that to happen. With that being said, I think he will be even better than last season. His rushing ability will always be there, but I don't think he will have as many rushing touchdowns. I think he will have better passing numbers though.

Posted

It is amazing that Cam threw for 4k last year, especially with him being a rookie and the Panthers historically relying on the running game. It seems like last year we could have let Cam sit back a lot more and let double trouble do most of the work, but we didn't. My theory: Coaches wanted to see what he had. Rely more on his arm than the running game, and give him a chance to show what he can do. He stepped up to the challenge, and delivered.

This year though, I think since we still have double trouble AND Tolbert, that the running game will be featured much more. This can result in Cam not throwing for 4k, but what does that matter. I expect Cam to tone down the interceptions, make smart decisions, and keep making plays. It may not be as flashy as last year, but in the end all that matters is winning anyway.

OR, he just goes crazy and puts up 5500 and 55 total TD's. Unlikely, but hell, skies the limit here. Sophomore slump be damned.