72 replies to this topic

#46 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I thought Oregon was better than Stanford.

But I'm telling you people will have qualms over 8 vs 9 if we have an 8 team playoff.

#47 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

There will likely be qualms unless you include half of the FBS.

An eight team playoff is likely the maximum amount of teams that can be included that will still keep the system practical.

#48 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Exactly. So you aren't really solving the problem. That's why I have no problem with the BCS and it makes the regular season so interesting.

#49 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

There is no "solution", but there is a "better way" to do things.

#50 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

I admit to not having much of a problem with the BCS system either. I do not recall a time that I felt the best team in the nation did not win the national championship.

#51 Johnny Kilroy

Johnny Kilroy

Kilroy Kicks Butt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Yeah it's just a matter of opinion. I'm just playing devil's advocate and I have no problems with the BCS.

Here's where I stand and why I stand this way:

a. People don't like the BCS because it doesn't give teams like the 3rd and 4th rated teams a chance to win it all. I rarely have disagreed with the top 2 teams not being the top 2 teams. Also, if you have a 4 or 8 team playoff you are going to have qualms about the 5th or 9th team.

b. People say that the BCS system is not the best at judging the best team. I disagree, a playoff systems doesn't determine the best team. It might be more "satisfying" for fans but it doesn't necessarily determine the best team. I think the regular season is a much better barometer in determining the best team.

c. Some say a playoff system won't take away from the regular season. CFB has the best regular season out of any sport. It's vital that you play every game like it's a playoff game and do your best. If you lose one game, you aren't necessarily out of the discussion, you just better make sure that you play speaks volumes in the weeks following. With a playoff system it obviously would include more teams allowing for more slip ups.

But that's just me, I see why people would have different opinions. I just don't think people's criticisms of the BCS are solved with a playoff. If you want to see a playoff because it would be cool and more exciting that just one game, fine with me. But I just don't get some of the criticism of the BCS in terms of it's validity.

#52 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I definitely agree with the fact that a playoff doesn't necessarily decide who the best team is. It just decides who was the better team for those 2-3 games.

As lame as it is, I have no problem with either system. I think a playoff system could be a lot of fun, but I also don't have a problem with the current BCS system.

#53 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

So, with an Eight-team format we'd have something like this from last season...

Round One

January 1st, 2012
1. LSU
vs.
8. Kansas State
Sugar Bowl: New Orleans, La

December 31st: 2011
2. Alabama
vs.
7. Boise State
Orang Bowl: Miami, FL

December 31, 2011
3. Oklahoma State
vs.
6. Arkansas
Fiesta Bowl: Glendale, AZ

January 1st, 2012
4. Stanford
vs.
5. Oregon
Rose Bowl: Pasadena, CA

Round Two:

January 8, 2012
1. LSU
vs.
4. Stanford
BCS Championship Final 4: New Orleans, LA

January 7, 2012
2. Alabama
vs.
3. Oklahoma State
BCS Championship Final 4: New Orleans, LA

Championship Game:

January 16, 2012
1. LSU
vs.
3. Oklahoma State
BCS National Championship Game: New Orleans, LA

Put Dallas, Orlando, Glendale, and Atlanta in the 1st rd.
Pasadena and Miami in the 2nd rd.
Championship in NO.

Rotate the Championship game between the last 3.

#54 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Put Dallas, Orlando, Glendale, and Atlanta in the 1st rd.
Pasadena and Miami in the 2nd rd.
Championship in NO.

Rotate the Championship game between the last 3.

Probably a good call. If they do this, I think they open it up for bids like those bigger cities you mentioned.

I read a rumor saying that Fiesta Bowl committee is down to bid and to drop the "Fiesta" name.

#55 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

I don't see why they can't have an 8 team, or maybe even 16 team playoff. The FCS has a 32 team playoff, and they somehow manage.

#56 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

I don't see why they can't have an 8 team, or maybe even 16 team playoff. The FCS has a 32 team playoff, and they somehow manage.

If only it were so easy. Don't let anyone tell you that the legitimate argument against a playoff is the well-being of the "student-athlete." It's all about maintaining profits.

#57 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

Apparently they are even discussing the possibility of a selection committee for the Football Final Four. What do you guys think of that? I personally think the current BCS computers are the best way to go.

#58 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,351 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

No selection committee to bias for the SEC. I would personally like to see a 6 team playoff. 4 teams would limit to the big conferences. Have the 3-6 seeded teams play one week then 1 and 2 plays the winner the following week. Championship game played the week after. 8 teams are to many.

So it would look like this.

week 1

3 seed vs 6 seed
4th vs 5th

week 2

1st vs winner of 3rd and 6
2nd vs 4th and 5th

champ week

1st vs 2nd

would have 2 main games per week and the rest of the bowl games could be played. Start it Christmas week and no issues with school.

#59 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

Well, it looks like the BCS has ousted anything other than a 4 team playoff, so that's what we get.

This will appease college football fans for maybe 3 years until a situation arises where everyone thinks the 5th ranked team is better than the 4th.

#60 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,450 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

I would like to see a 16 team playoff with most of the bowls being worked into it. For example, the Music city bowl might be #1 vs #16 seed and so forth. All the major conferences can get a automatic bid, and still have room for a lot of at large bids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.