• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,680 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Conference commisioners meeting to hammer out the details today. Next week teh Presidents will meet in DC. 4 team playoff seems to be a given. Major points is if it is the conference champs or top 4 teams also will it be computer based or a selection committee. If strength of schedule is a big point I could the ACC and Big East in trouble making it to the playoffs.

Big ten and Pac 12 are already planning to play each other during the regular season and I see the Big XII and SEC doing the same. So even if you have a 11-1 team they would make it in over a 12-0 ACC or Big East team.

#62 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,384 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

I read a few articles saying that the "plus one" format is the only format that will please fans. The logic behind it is that you preserve the current bowl system while adding a national championship game afterwards. I don't really like the idea of a "plus one" format.

I personally like a 4 team playoff with the teams being determined by the current BCS system.

#63 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Fwiw, the ACC commissioner is on the committee that is determing the format. I don't think the Big 12 commish is.

#64 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,680 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

All 10 commisioners and Notre Dame AD are in the meetings. The President committee is the one that will decide what format to use. But every Conference has a voice. Said earlier in the thread a 6 team playoff would be the fairest. 4 team will usually mean 1 or 2 SEC team a Big10 team and either a PAC12 or BIGXII team. ACC and the rest of the conferences will be battling for the 4th position. ACC is going to get screwed by strength of schedule.

#65 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Progress!

Yahoo! Sports@YahooSports

BREAKING NEWS: The BCS commissioners reached a consensus on a model four-team seeded college football playoff --> http://yhoo.it/NUUFqD

#66 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,831 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

I'm all for it. 16 games would be awesome.

#67 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

The details have yet to be hammered out, but Conference championships and strength of schedule will play a role in deciding who gets in. Sounds like a decent start anyway. I do think they will eventually expand to 8 teams, but 4 is good enough for now.

#68 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Until it is expanded, I don't expect to see any ACC or BE teams in the playoff.

#69 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Until it is expanded, I don't expect to see any ACC or BE teams in the playoff.

If an ACC school like FSU or Miami goes thru the season undefeated, they will get in unless there are several other undefeated teams.

#70 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

If an ACC school like FSU or Miami goes thru the season undefeated, they will get in unless there are several other undefeated teams.

I think most ACC teams that are undefeated would still fall behind an SEC team with 1 loss in BCS polling.

#71 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

I think most ACC teams that are undefeated would still fall behind an SEC team with 1 loss in BCS polling.

If they use the current BCS polling maybe or maybe not. If I am not mistaken, the current BCS polls still uses the voting polls as part of the criteria, and I think an undefeated FSU or Miami or VT would be ranked ahead of a one loss SEC team in most circumstances. If FSU had gone undefeated this year, beating all the ACC teams plus OK and Florida, they probably would have knocked the second SEC team out of the national championship picture this year. And reporting about the new structure is consistently saying that conference championships are going to play a significant role in the selection process, so assuming they are not lying, I don't see a undefeated FSU or Miami getting beat out by a 1 loss SEC team that didn't win the SEC.

The real controversy, and the thing that will eventually push it out to 8 teams is when the Big 10 champ has three losses, and the ACC or Big East champ gets in over them with one loss.

#72 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,904 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Why not do a Year One proposal with this? Use say next year to pilot this new rollout. See how it works. If it blows up, then run with it. If it falls flat, tweak it or go back to BCS.

The one conf for years that doesn't want a true playoff is the Big101112(thats what I call them). They know they have locked in easy money with the Rose or other bow tie ins where as if they went to a playoff, many of their teams could get knocked out early,thus losing more revenue.

If you expand the playoffs and do go with the higher seed as a host here is what you should do for the logistic issue.
Lets say its Oregon vs Ohio State. Go ahead and play the game at an NFL or larger stadium site. In this case it would be Seattle.
I say don't go with rotating New Orleans simply because they get plenty of big events and other cities need the revenue desperately.

Don't use automatic qualifier for winning your conference, however, if you do, you do get more "points" if you will for doing so. I still think last years Bama vs LSU was a wash. They beat each other. One just later in the season. Sure Bama was pretty clearly the best team but in a new format, that may be different.

Somehow, if you can make 2nd round games be rotated in the lower tier bowls just to give that city a boost and elevate attention back to that bowl. Just an out of the box idea on that.

If there can be some form of a better playoff system this could be a giant event.

#73 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,680 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Strength of schedule will hurt the ACC and Big East. But with that said if a ACC team goes undefeated then they should make the playoffs. But the selection committee will be the biggest problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com