• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TyHillPanthers

TyHillPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Cant say I didnt see this coming but hopefully they can get someone that can get by the bubble.

#2 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

That was the guy

#3 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hmmm who's on the list?

#4 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Va

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I liked Greenberg :(. From what I've read around, he was hosting a recruit when he was fired. Dick move by Jim Weaver. No one likes his ass.

#5 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I liked Greenberg :(. From what I've read around, he was hosting a recruit when he was fired. Dick move by Jim Weaver. No one likes his ass.

Greenberg is an excellent on-air personality and a really great interview from the few I've heard.

However, it's about 3 years too late for his dismissal at Tech. He is a guy who needs to be in a small, mid major school to maximize his recruiting abilities. A place like Winthrop would be an excellent destination for him IMHO.

It should be noted that VT is and always will be a football school and SG did a decent job of making them relevant again in one of the premiere conferences in the country. He also did a good job of creating a pipeline to the Charlotte area basketball players. I'm sure UNCC athletics are happy to see him go.

#6 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Cant say im shocked. I like the guy and he will end up on his feet somewhere whether its broadcasting or another smaller coaching gig. But who in the hell is VT going to get now?

#7 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Va

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

That's what I'm wondering. Who could VT possibly get.. Especially with Pitt and Syracuse about the join the conference.

#8 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Yeah fo

That's what I'm wondering. Who could VT possibly get.. Especially with Pitt and Syracuse about the join the conference.

I'm sure Shaka Smart is #1 on their list. VCU is the best program in Virginia right now.

But for a lot of younger, up and coming coaches Tech would be a lateral move and maybe even a bad decision to coach there. The only real draw of taking the Tech job would be getting into the ACC coaching ranks.

I think one thing that helped SG was no matter what VT is a football school, and as long as you're doing a decent job recruiting, you'll get 4-5 years in basketball.

#9 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

They could always go after coach "cheap suit"

#10 TyHillPanthers

TyHillPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I always liked Greenberg but after that presser it was evident hes hard to work with, he lost 3 assistance in a months span . Ex players were bashing him on twitter during the presser.. That threw me for a loop. He brought the program into national lights with some good upset wins and actually had a nice basketball facility built to help with recruiting.
Weaver is the reason the bball is what it is (Seth actually called him out on it last week which I think led to Seth getting fired) , his focus is clearly on football and only that.

I've heard names around here like Shaka Smart (probably wont happen) , Paul Hewitt, James Johnson (was assistant at VT before taking assistant at Clemson) , Josh Pastner, Jeff Capel.
Seth Curry actually tweeted that his Dad wants to coach VT .

I think they should look at Tommy Amaker VA native and I'm sure he'd like to go up against his former coach in Coach K.

#11 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Bobby Lutz

#12 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Greenberg is an excellent on-air personality and a really great interview from the few I've heard.

However, it's about 3 years too late for his dismissal at Tech. He is a guy who needs to be in a small, mid major school to maximize his recruiting abilities. A place like Winthrop would be an excellent destination for him IMHO.

It should be noted that VT is and always will be a football school and SG did a decent job of making them relevant again in one of the premiere conferences in the country. He also did a good job of creating a pipeline to the Charlotte area basketball players. I'm sure UNCC athletics are happy to see him go.

We lost several players to VT and Clemson. We'd get on them early and end up in their "top 3" and then one of those two schools, or both, would jump into the picture and ****** them away.

We haven't really gone up against those two schools much lately. Our new staff is big on recruiting GA.

#13 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Bobby Lutz

Yeah Lutz has got to be on their radar as well. I'd stay at State this year though if I were Bobby. He just got a big promotion and pay raise, and on paper State is a borderline NC contender. He could have his pick of good jobs if he sticks around in Raleigh for one more season.

#14 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Bobby Lutz

They just fired a coach that could occasionally win big games and blow games that should be easy wins.

Few can grab defeat from the jaws of victory like Greenburg and Bobby Lutz.

Lutz is better suited as an assistant. He's in a good spot and he's getting paid a good salary to be there.

#15 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

It won't be Lutz. I'd be pissed if it was. I met the man, nice guy, but not an ACC head coach. I'd like Smart - but I think he stays at VCU. Seth put VT on the basketball map well after the days of Dell Curry, Bimbo Coles and Allan Bristow. He was great for this program. Another nice guy - I met him when I was an undergrad at Tech, but he shot himself in the foot the day he said 'You'd have to be certifiably insane to not have VT in the tourney'. The committee doesn't like that stuff and shafted us for years. He has 2 of the better recruiting classes the last 2 years and I hope no one transfers bc of his firing.

Side note: I ran into Jamon Gordon the day after we lost to the Salukis in the 2nd round of the '07 NCAA tourney at the Terrace View administrative building. Nicest guy in the world. Told me Seth was hands down the best coach he has ever had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com