Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peyton Hillis Believes In 'madden Curse' After Injury-Plagued Season

83 posts in this topic

Posted

It's from '99 till present according to every article written.

Of course, what would an idiotic claim be without excluding the data set that doesn't support it.

Posted

It's from '99 till present according to every article written.

Why? Is that because it suits the argument better? That alone throws the curse off.

Posted

Of course, what would an idiotic claim be without excluding the data set that doesn't support it.

Because we learned in our statistics class to avoid events that happen 12-13 times in a row, those things are really common. For example, flipping a coin and coming up with heads 13 times in a row, happens all the time!

Just curious, if you worked for a company that asked you to deliver a package to a property by a big radio tower on an overcast day, and before going you find out that every single one of the previous 12 employees that made the same delivery were struck by lightning and are either dead or injured. Would you rationalize that with the same result happening 12 times in a row there must be something at the property greatly increasing chances of lightning OR would you just dismiss what happened to the previous 12 and rationalize you have a 1 in 154k chance of getting hit!?

So you know from someone who actually took a statistics class, having the same outcome 12 of the last 12 times is not a coincidence. Not saying there is a supernatural force at work either, but there can be an actual rational explanation. It could even be a couple of factors from the person coming off a career year and then regressing to the mean. There can be a subconscious factor where the player pushes themselves to replicate the previous season and that can result in taking more chances they normally wouldn't which increases chance of injury. That is just one of many possible rational explanations as to why it happens which proves it doesn't need to be some supernatural voodoo at work.

Posted

you guys hear about that new fangled printing press they came up with

Posted

statistics professor: "and that, class, is how you prove that magical curses exist. using statistics, of course"

you know if there's a perfectly logical explanation for a player regressing after appearing on the cover then it's not a "curse" because a "curse" implies something supernatural at work.

Posted

Keep thinking its real.

How many on the cover taken their teams to the playoffs?

Curse is a joke. That is why when it doesn't effect players the injury curse gets expanded and then the madden curse means a bad singular play or a change in a stat.

Posted

Like I said before, I don't believe in curses, I do believe in the power of suggestion.

Posted

Like I said before, I don't believe in curses, I do believe in the power of suggestion.

This

Posted

Good thing Cam farts in the general direction of such thoughts. I hope he gets on the cover. He wants it.

Posted

I believe in facts, and the fact is that many players have been injured who have been displayed on the cover.

Hahahaha wow, that's pathetic.... how old are you?

Posted

Hahahaha wow, that's pathetic.... how old are you?

This many!

biden-hands.jpg