150 replies to this topic

#1 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Tom Jensen at PPP's take on it recently was, "North Carolinians support, but don't understand marriage amendment." Essentially, voters of North Carolina don't support the amendment, but they don't yet know it yet. PPP's findings:
  • Only 31% of voters correctly identify that Amendment 1 bans both gay marriage and civil unions.
  • 28% think that it only bans gay marriage.
  • 7% think that it actually legalizes gay marriage.
  • 34% admit that they don't know exactly what the amendment does.

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

#3 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

fave comment:

Thank God our Founding Fathers saw fit to include freedom of speech in our Constitution. There should be no 'approval' needed from the author, it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it, so you have no choice but to post it or face problems with censorship.

It's very clear what our state government wants to do and I agree. Ultra-liberals out there want to muddy the waters and avoid the main point. ANY union other than man & woman is wrong Biblically, morally, ethically they are wrong. Our Nation was founded on Christian beliefs, ergo, we are doing the right thing by banning gay unions and (attempting to) enforce a morally correct way of living. Sadly there are people out there who can't figure it all out. There's still hope.
Look it up: Marriage is between a man and woman, nothing else. It's in the Bible, Koran or what have you. God intended us to marry and procreate...how else can you do that other than man and woman? Wake up people, the right way is the only way. How can two men or two women properly bring up a child, much less have one? Short answer: they can't. I hope like hell this amendment banning gay unions passes and we can get on to more important things. Can I get an AMEN out there?

(attempting to) enforce a morally correct way of living: now the government's job

this is my favorite part:

I hope like hell this amendment banning gay unions passes and we can get on to more important things.

oh, absolutely.

#4 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,368 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I hate people so much.

#5 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

getting trapped in a conversation in the grocery store checkout line with someone like that isn't too bad because of the time constraints imposed on the exchange.

they don't actually get to make your eyes bleed by hunt-and-pecking their way through an impromptu sermon on the topic like they can on the internet.

#6 Peter Gosinya

Peter Gosinya

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Independent Source, Legal Scholars Refute “Unintended Consequences” Arguments related to the Marriage Protection Amendment

“For months, the media and opponents of the Marriage Protection Amendment have been spreading false information regarding the affect of the Amendment on current law,” said Tami Fitzgerald, chairwoman of Vote FOR Marriage NC. “Now we have an independent source as well as legal scholars refuting the false claims by our opponents. It’s time to turn the discussion about the Marriage Protection Amendment back to the facts. Make no mistake, the Amendment does one thing and one thing only: it preserves marriage as between one man and one woman in the North Carolina Constitution so that marriage can be safe from the whims of activists who want to redefine marriage for all of society.”

On Wednesday, law professors from Campbell University (who are speaking for themselves, not the University) released a white paper and statement refuting the claims made by Professor Maxine Eichner and other legal sources at the UNC School of Law who have alleged that the Marriage Protection Amendment would strip away protections for all unmarried couples. Law professors Lynn Buzzard, William Woodruff, and E. Gregory Wallace found such assertions to be completely false."

http://www.voteforma...tion-amendment/

#7 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

gay marriage is already illegal in north carolina

even if all the arguments against it are completely false, it is still utterly useless in every conceivable way.

but of course a stupid ballot initiative intended to fire up the base is nothing new.

#8 Nicks To The Colts

Nicks To The Colts

►►►►►

• HUDDLER
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

also campbell's law school-where the white paper being cited actually came from-has a professor on record against amendment one too:
http://www.protectnc...t-amendment-one

i mean jeez the white paper from campbell actually notes that the amendment should have been worded more clearly. it also contains this at the very beginning:

We begin with a point on which we agree with Professor Eichner and other Amendment
opponents: The proposed Amendment will bar not only same-sex marriages, but also
recognition or validation of civil unions and domestic partnerships that constitute legal
substitutes for the marriage relationship. The question is whether the Amendment will apply to
other domestic relationships beyond marriage or marriage-like legal statuses.

so yes, people who don't like the amendment still have a major, legitimate beef. the white paper doesn't "debunk" what you think it does.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

I really can't believe that people in 2012 would think that enshrining discrimination in our State Constitution for something that is already illegal, but that even the bills sponsor says will eventually be overturned at the cost of millions of dollars is a good idea.

And london67 just pwned you

#10 Tarheel31

Tarheel31

cynical pessimist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

This morning when I was watching the news there was an add against ammendmant one that made me scratch my head.

A woman talking about how some guy used to beat her up, throw her around and kick her with his steel toed work boots.

She then states that ammenmant one would put her and her daughter in serious danger by erasing this guys restraining order.

WTF is that about?

#11 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

I have a very dear friend in Charlotte that has twin boys with her partner. She was artificially inseminated so they are biologically hers. If this passes and something were to happen to her the woman these children have grown up with, who they call mommy, would have no rights to those two kids.

Protecting families my ass.

fug anyone who supports this fuging hate crime of a piece of legislation.

#12 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

meanwhile if you get raped you should just suck it up and make lemonade or something

#13 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,224 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

This morning when I was watching the news there was an add against ammendmant one that made me scratch my head.

A woman talking about how some guy used to beat her up, throw her around and kick her with his steel toed work boots.

She then states that ammenmant one would put her and her daughter in serious danger by erasing this guys restraining order.

WTF is that about?

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/18310644/article-Amendment-One--A-real-danger-to-domestic-violence-victims-

#14 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,224 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Congrats Republicans. Peddling hate instead of being for smaller less intrusive government and focusing on the economy. Hypocrites.

#15 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,068 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

Congrats Republicans. Peddling hate instead of being for smaller less intrusive government and focusing on the economy. Hypocrites.

Don't lump all of us Republican in with that. I am in favor of gay marriage.

I still think the battle would be much easier to win if the first step were to fight for "civil unions" that gave the legal protections for partners. Then, go after the "marriage" battle at a later date....once society gets more comfortable with the civil unions.

I am not saying I have ANY issue with gay marriage....just a suggestion of maybe an easier road to get to the same destination.

What say ye?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.