Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carolina Panthers Draft Amini Silatolu Og Midwestern

269 posts in this topic

Posted

I would have preferred Glenn also, Amini is too much of a project. And he's not that good in pass pro, which is very alarming considering he went against DII competition.

Posted

I would have preferred Glenn also, Amini is too much of a project. And he's not that good in pass pro, which is very alarming considering he went against DII competition.

Just means his body type and skill set is much better suited for guard. What I am reading about the guy is that he is likely to be an absolute beast in the run game. Pencil him in between gross and kaliI

Posted

Would he be a left guard? Why not throw him next to Otah and let those two run crazy over the right side. Then let Hang run the left side since he is more experienced.

Posted

Would he be a left guard? Why not throw him next to Otah and let those two run crazy over the right side. Then let Hang run the left side since he is more experienced.

I think they said that he would compete at lg. However , I do think putting him at RG next to oath would be nasty. They would open up massive holes in the run game.

Posted

From Peter Kings MMQB:

Best pick, offense: Amini Silatolu, G-T, Midwestern State, 40th overall to Carolina. Multiple teams targeted him late in the first round, and GM Marty Hurney got a great value here. He'll bring an attitude and versatility to the Panthers and should be a 10-year starter wherever Carolina needs him.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1tWwJvVHF

Posted

I wonder what they saw that rated him over Glenn?

Posted

this. unless i've missed something, i have no idea why everyone thinks he'll go on the left.

Posted

this. unless i've missed something, i have no idea why everyone thinks he'll go on the left.

In the post-pick presser, that's where they said they were putting him.

Check the videos on Panthers.com.

Posted

that makes more sense... i never go to panthers.com

still seems weird to me... it's not like hangman can run block.

Posted

that makes more sense... i never go to panthers.com

still seems weird to me... it's not like hangman can run block.

Could easily be for continuity reasons.

Hangman has been playing on the right, so he's used to it. The open spot is on the left side, which coincidentally is the side Silatolu is used to being on (just at a different position).

Doesn't necessarily have to be complicated.

Posted

Could easily be for continuity reasons.

Hangman has been playing on the right, so he's used to it. The open spot is on the left side, which coincidentally is the side Silatolu is used to being on (just at a different position).

Doesn't necessarily have to be complicated.

i figured since there hasnt been continuity on the right side in around 3 years and the loss of wharton destroyed continuity on the left we might change things up... i guess not...

doesn't have to be complicated? maybe not for you.

Posted

They said he would compete at LG because he played on the left side in college. Easier to transition to LG from LT than to RG from LT.