"heyyall, I made dumb threads..."

#183 xtheronx

xtheronx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationCharleston, South Carolina

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think you are forgetting the mentality of this team before Newton. Fox and Hurney didn't believe in drafting a QB in the first round. Good or bad they had their QB in Clausen from the previous draft. DT was absolutely bare. Rivera walked in with no DT. He held off judgement on Clausen due to the situation with Fox. It was very possible they went with the biggest need at that time which would have been DT based on Hurneys history and stated philosophy.

I thought they would draft defense sign defense and trade for defense and hope a Clausen lead offense wouldn't lose the defense games ala Fox ball. Instead they drafted the BPA in Newton traded for and signed two top end TEs and brought back Hangartner for the Oline. The biggest needs for the defensive minded Panthers were on the defensive side of the ball.

that's exactly why Fox isn't here anymore!!

you really think fans in a division with Brees, Ice, and Freeman .. Hurney could've said

"we're not drafting a QB because he's not the BPA?"

no way!! we had one of the worst records in NFL history due to a lack of having a QB .. not because we didn't have sufficient DT's

according to experts .. Cam was not BPA .. most said Von Miller was

luckily Cam has proven he was BPA .. but that's not how we drafted him

he was drafted based on our dire need for a franchise QB .. in a division with 3 others!

#184 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

You dont draft just off solely BPA. You draft off a combination of BPA / Need.

You want to constantly be upgrading your team / positions.

Drafting a BPA rb when you already have 2 good rb's over a starting caliber player / upgrade at a position of need is just stupid. imo

#185 xtheronx

xtheronx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

Cam Newton was EASILY the best player in college football. Once it was confirmed by Carolina he could translate well in their deep evaluation of him.....Cam arguably was BPA.

and last year proved Carolina was correct and was BPA

See:

http://www.nfl.com/n...-2011-nfl-draft

http://sportsillustr...ects/index.html

http://msn.foxsports...n.htm?m_n=true#

Cam wasn't even the best QB available according to "experts"

and he will probably prove to be the greatest Panther of all-time!!

#186 xtheronx

xtheronx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

You dont draft just off solely BPA. You draft off a combination of BPA / Need.

You want to constantly be upgrading your team / positions.

Drafting a BPA rb when you already have 2 good rb's over a starting caliber player / upgrade at a position of need is just stupid. imo

agree

#187 Carolina Fan

Carolina Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

We lead almost every game last year, our defense really let us down, but they got dinged up hard, i think with beason back and the enthusiasm our team has this year they will play at another level, people like ray lewis and beason really do make people play at another level, if our defense can play anything close to years past i think we will definatly make the playoffs.

Gamble is a pro-bowler talent, our linebackers are great, Hardy and Johnson are great, i have a feeling sherrod martin will play good this year he really is a ball hawk, we got Ron Edwards coming back and two rookies who did pretty good last year, with a year experience together coaches and players i think we will be a different team and play on a different level next year, last year expectations where very low, this year they are high and i think our defense is going to step up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com