#106 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,006 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Didn't we sign Pollack and trade for bruce cambell? Otah is still on the roster, Td is still on the roster with a reduced contract. beason said he's ready and looked great training. A torn achilles isn't as bad as a acl. The offense was top 5 so lets go work on that alittle more and ignore the need along the line and CB which was the reason we were drafting at 9.

I would support dl and cb picks as well. I believe that if Rivera thought our DT's needed replacing, he would have pulled the trigger. I believe that he knows a hell of a lot more about building a great defense than any of us. His defenses have been great everywhere he has coached. Also, the fact that I czn't impact any of it...so I don't get too excited when they make pucks that were not what I thought they would be.

#107 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,006 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Majority of this board wanted Johnson gone when he couldn't beat out Brayton in 2008. Anderson seemed to be on the Huddle chopping block from his first season when he didn't step in and replace Spoon right off the bat.

With that said not all pan out. Some are given time and just never take that next step. But you can't give up after one year if they are progressing and working hard on and off the field.

This

#108 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

The offense was top 5

by what measure? top 10, maybe, but top 5 is stretching it. there is a lot of room to work there. yes I agree that defense was a greater need than offense, but sometimes you need to shore up the positions you can when you can... and when you have a superstar QB you plan to have at your helm for the next decade and a half, it is very important you protect his career with a good offensive line. Cam escaped a TON of pressure last year with his legs and IMO made our OL look better than it was often (in pass protection).

#109 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Well damn I didn't know the first game of the season was tomorrow. We have no time to get ready and fill other holes...oh wait yes we do.

#110 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

To quote Steve Smith everyone want's to win the lottery but no one wants to buy a ticket. You have to be in it to win it.

And you think that means drafting for need? If anything Smitty's comment means you sign/draft players based on skill and let them be the playmakers that steer the team.

I think too many miss the point that Panthers didn't draft Newton thinking they were taking a huge gamble. Not at all. They saw in Newton the best player by far in that draft. The Gamble was drafting a QB there when they just drafted one the year before in the 2nd and the miss givings of the organization of not drafting a QB in the first. The position and lack of a greatest need was the gamble not the player.

#111 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Considering that 60% of first round DT's bust, it is a crapshoot.

Yeah, we should stick with guys like Shirley, Neblett, Kearse, Fua, and McClain. Maybe sign a couple more undrafted guys to increase our talent pool there even more! I Feel bad for opposing QBs next year. Go Panthers!

#112 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

the amount of diaper poopers popping up in this thread is unreal

#113 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,812 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:36 PM

elite pass rush and secondary doesnt help you win games in the NFL

LBer and OG is where it's at

#114 xtheronx

xtheronx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • LocationCharleston, South Carolina

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

And you think that means drafting for need? If anything Smitty's comment means you sign/draft players based on skill and let them be the playmakers that steer the team.

I think too many miss the point that Panthers didn't draft Newton thinking they were taking a huge gamble. Not at all. They saw in Newton the best player by far in that draft. The Gamble was drafting a QB there when they just drafted one the year before in the 2nd and the miss givings of the organization of not drafting a QB in the first. The position and lack of a greatest need was the gamble not the player.

na .. we drafted Cam cause we needed a QB .. wouldn't have happened if we had a decent QB

so I would argue we DID draft based on need

#115 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Majority of this board wanted Johnson gone when he couldn't beat out Brayton in 2008. Anderson seemed to be on the Huddle chopping block from his first season when he didn't step in and replace Spoon right off the bat.

With that said not all pan out. Some are given time and just never take that next step. But you can't give up after one year if they are progressing and working hard on and off the field.

I guess we see things differently. 2008 Brayton played well so noone cared, but noone wanted Johnson gone, not really. 2009 Majority of board wanted him to start over Brayton.

#116 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:41 PM

the amount of diaper poopers popping up in this thread is unreal

Tell me about about it. Those whiners don't understand the difference between our Dline and the Gaints is just a little experience.

#117 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

na .. we drafted Cam cause we needed a QB .. wouldn't have happened if we had a decent QB
so I would argue we DID draft based on need

Completely agree. Some people over think things. This playing it safe crap is sickening. You cannot win a super bowl going bpa every single pick. You end up with 3 first round rbs 2 first round qbs and so on. When do you address the problems with your team???

#118 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

It doesn't surprise me we went with the positions we did...they aren't going to draft over McClain, Fua, and Hogan when theyve had one season (or less in Hogans case) to evaluate them. The position Im surprised we didn't address is pass rusher. We didn't draft anyone for that skill last year and we sucked in that area with only one guy who was any good at pressuring the QB. Now it seems like all of those players who coil be decent pass rushers are gone so we are screwed in that area. But Hogan could be the answer at CB and the two young DTs could still improve enough to rotate in with Edwards.

#119 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Dont worry guys fua and mcclain will turn out better than cox and brockers. I promise!

#120 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Hope for need in the 4th.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.