83 replies to this topic

#46 Lakejamescat

Lakejamescat

Help is on the Way

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

In 2011, Gross played 15 games and had 3 False Starts. Just saying.

That makes me feel better.

#47 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

I am cool with that. My opinion is that I think he will dominate and actually be healthy for an entire season and won't get a thousand false start penalties like #69

I don't know if anything has been more exaggerated than gross' amount of false starts from this fanbase

#48 Lakejamescat

Lakejamescat

Help is on the Way

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

We're in big trouble.

Amini is struggling with instruction, Adams dropped a pass, Norman is nervous, and we don't know where to play Luke.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

The sky is not falling but in this league you need to learn quickly.

#49 Lakejamescat

Lakejamescat

Help is on the Way

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I don't know if anything has been more exaggerated than gross' amount of false starts from this fanbase

Don't know about the fanbase, but he does have more penalties than he needs to as a veteran lineman.

#50 Lakejamescat

Lakejamescat

Help is on the Way

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

He's one of the least penalized LT's in the NFL, he averages like 4 penalties a year. Combining holding calls and false starts.

So what are his numbers for the past three years for penalties? I am surprised because it seems that when there is a big positive play on offense 69 brings it back.

#51 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Had a couple weeks to let it marinate and I still think it was a bad pick. Hope I'm wrong but this has all the makings of another Marty second round wtf man picks.

#52 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,450 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Atleast let the guy make it through training camp before labeling him a bust..

Seems like everyone these days is a psychic expert on player analysis.

#53 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,482 posts
  • Location704

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

To be fair, many of the "experts" like the pick.

#54 vorbis

vorbis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

I think Silatolu, as long as he keeps his confidence up, will be fine. I also think the two guys coaching the line are going to be great for him, and will help him get ready quickly. As far as the mental aspects of the game, I'd imagine it's mostly terminology and getting used to how things are done at this level. He wouldn't be the first OL whose play was more eloquent than their words.

#55 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

The sky is not falling but in this league you need to learn quickly.

Yes, he needs to learn but there is plenty of time for that. You don't have to be especially smart to play G. As long as he can learn his assignments, he'll be okay.

Better a guy who knows his weaknesses than someone like Coples who thought he had the Jet's playbook down pat after 1 day of work.

#56 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,693 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

So what are his numbers for the past three years for penalties? I am surprised because it seems that when there is a big positive play on offense 69 brings it back.

7 false starts and 3 holding penalties over the last 3 years.

In the last four seasons here are the stats for Clady, Long and Gross

Clady - 16 penalties, 25 sacks allowed.
Long - 20 penalties, 19 sacks allowed
Gross - 18 penalties, 19 sacks allowed

#57 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

Had a couple weeks to let it marinate and I still think it was a bad pick. Hope I'm wrong but this has all the makings of another Marty second round wtf man picks.

i was one of those guys hearing an awful lot about him. i made it pretty clear that i didn't want Oline early (first couple rounds) just because i thought we had bigger needs elsewhere and lots of solid talent available....

BUT...... this guy is a flat out beast. i was really hoping that he would be around in the 4th or even in the 3rd and that we could trade up for him. the closer it got to the draft it was becoming more apparent that teams were loving this guy. they started watching more tape and he was doing well in meetings and tryouts that he was in legit conversation by quite a few teams in the first round.

it's not a sexy pick and it sure wasn't a household name and that is probably why there were so many "wtf"s after the pick. people who were really following the discussions going on all across the board leading to the draft were probably quite familiar with him but people just casually looking at draft reports and focusing in on just a few positions and hyped up players probably just didn't know anything about this guy.

he's good. really good. he was picked about as early as a OG should be picked. he's the kind of guy that is going to be a stud anchor on that line for years. he's about as impact a player as you can have on the oline, imo. he's mean. he's fierce. he's strong. and he's going to be sitting quite a few guys on their butts.

it's not the direction i was wanting to go at that point, but i really like the player and i think he's probably going to work out better than a 2nd rounder has for us for years.

#58 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm not concerned about it....but they say the smartest unit on average of an NFL football team is the offensive line.

#59 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yes, he needs to learn but there is plenty of time for that. You don't have to be especially smart to play G. As long as he can learn his assignments, he'll be okay.

Better a guy who knows his weaknesses than someone like Coples who thought he had the Jet's playbook down pat after 1 day of work.

100% agreed. there is a lot of time. it also has to be remembered that rookies on the Oline struggle quite a bit the first year but get it fairly quickly after that. many stud Oline players look like they had roller skates on their first year. i fully believe, though, that silatolu will show enough of what he's capable of if your watching to know that we have a gem. people just looking at stats might be upset and quick to label bust but it's in watching him that you are going to get a better idea of what you are actually getting.

#60 mintal

mintal

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

So let's get this straight. A lot of people are questioning how stupid he is and due to that they say he's a bust - all without seeing him play? I thought we were supposed to be smart around here...

:rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amini Silatolu, Carolina Panthers, NFL Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com