• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Nice write up and great analysis but the fact is 3 winning seasons under Hurney. Thats a c*nt hair above Cleveland. Marty is a reporter not a GM...

Differences of opinions are the spice of life... And the best thing is, that regardless of what people may say, you are never wrong for having one of your own... =)

Hey Nance...Good to hear from you again and great post!!!

Thanks bud! Just trying to add something constructive to the discussion... =)

Thanks nance.

Anytime! How have you been, bud?

Nance proves once again that he is The Man.

Good to see you back...been too long since we have seen you around here.

Thanks brother! Wish I had the time to invest into these discussions that I used to...

Good to see you post brother.

Reminds me of the halcyon days of panthershuddle

Hey hey Brother! Can't tell you how bad I want to hang with you guys at a tailgate again! Really miss those days...

#32 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Sup newb

#33 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Sup newb

Have we met? Your name sounds familiar, but I can't quite place the face... ;-)

#34 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention how the 'experts' grade drafts:

Top needs: DT, CB, DE, WR, OLB

Summary: Given all the health problems in their linebacking corps over the last couple years, and an inability to defend the run, Luke Kuechly at No. 9 was no surprise. That's where I had him projected, and I obviously love what he can do -- he's among my top 10 players in the draft, which is saying something for an inside linebacker. I'm pretty shocked they didn't get a single defensive tackle. That was a glaring weakness in 2011, not at all helped by injuries. Frank Alexander has some ability as a pass-rusher, and I can see Josh Norman developing into a starter. As much as I like Kuechly, they drop a little because they didn't hit the top need. Hopefully their young defensive tackles continue to develop.

Now, mind you HE is the one that sets the team 'needs'... We addressed the linebackers exceptionally... We addressed the receivers with an explosive threat... Added a DE that has the potential to contribute significantly... And we addressed the DB's with two value selections... That alone (again by Mel's own analysis) addresses 80% of the 'needs' defined... Yet the grade is a C for how well we drafted based on 'need'... To me, this is a head scratcher... While I am never a fan of drafting based on needs, I fully believe we had at the very least an above average draft in terms of how well we addressed the needs of the team... Also, Mel has labelled our 'top need' as DT... This is a subjective point of view, and short-sights the fact that we played two rookies (who played like you'd expect rookies to play) all season, and missed a complete year from a solid veteran DT... Taking the big picture into consideration (which I don't personally feel was adequately done in this analysis), is DT really the biggest need? I agree, of course, that it would have been nice to have added another body here, but are we really at a point where we should give up on the youngsters after 16 games? And no points for getting the veteran back? Wow... Tough crowd, Mel... Tough crowd...

#35 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,636 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Very nice write up.

#36 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hey brother! I've been around... With all the hostility around here these days, I spend most of my time in lurk mode...

Yeah, it's not like it used to be....but still fun to check out.

#37 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sir, it is obvious that your presence has been sorely missed here. I only hope and pray that your sage wisdom rubs off on some of the newer guys around here. It has been pretty intolerable with the occasional Mr. Scott insight to offer a ray of hope. Perhaps the two of you can turn the tide of perpetual Jerry Springer mob that has plagued us for this insufferable off-season.

#38 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sir, it is obvious that your presence has been sorely missed here. I only hope and pray that your sage wisdom rubs off on some of the newer guys around here. It has been pretty intolerable with the occasional Mr. Scott insight to offer a ray of hope. Perhaps the two of you can turn the tide of perpetual Jerry Springer mob that has plagued us for this insufferable off-season.

can I get an amen?

#39 SauceBoss

SauceBoss

IT IS WHAT IT IS

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

Honestly, it's hard to be mad about this. We had more pressing needs, but the gaps filled with Kuechly and the guard were pressing needs, just not as much, and both were great picks. As long as we got our punter, that's what matters most.

#40 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

And I can't make a thread supporting and explaining why Silatolu was a great pick?

#41 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I mention how the 'experts' grade drafts:

Now, mind you HE is the one that sets the team 'needs'... We addressed the linebackers exceptionally... We addressed the receivers with an explosive threat... Added a DE that has the potential to contribute significantly... And we addressed the DB's with two value selections... That alone (again by Mel's own analysis) addresses 80% of the 'needs' defined... Yet the grade is a C for how well we drafted based on 'need'... To me, this is a head scratcher... While I am never a fan of drafting based on needs, I fully believe we had at the very least an above average draft in terms of how well we addressed the needs of the team... Also, Mel has labelled our 'top need' as DT... This is a subjective point of view, and short-sights the fact that we played two rookies (who played like you'd expect rookies to play) all season, and missed a complete year from a solid veteran DT... Taking the big picture into consideration (which I don't personally feel was adequately done in this analysis), is DT really the biggest need? I agree, of course, that it would have been nice to have added another body here, but are we really at a point where we should give up on the youngsters after 16 games? And no points for getting the veteran back? Wow... Tough crowd, Mel... Tough crowd...

Seems like he (and many others) forgot that Ron Edwards is still on our roster. DT was a need for sure, but we havent been able to have all of our LBs or our OL make it through a season in how long?

#42 FattyFatFat

FattyFatFat

Buddhist Monk

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationMint Hill

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thank you for the great write up. Ive been guilty of bad mouthing hurney and his drafts but after taking an objective approach I can definately say I believe this team is stronger after this most recent draft. I cant wait to see how much we've improved especially our special teams. Guys drafted seem like they are high motor guys that will be hungary to prove that they fit. I think the panthers have a great future, and a lot of credit has to go to Marty Hurney.

#43 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Nance, you are the sole reason I joined the Huddle so many years ago. I read one of your writes, watched you play the thread nicely, and I was hooked.

Thank you for your insights. This article is a winner as usual. Post more often, please!

#44 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,896 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Well said Nance. Your insight is missed around here.

#45 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I think we potentially got 5-6 starting caliber players out of this draft including punter. The only guy we drafting that I don't see starting is Campbell. But he will contribute greatly on ST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com