Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Dt - It Isn't Quite As Bad As You Think.

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

You have to remember one thing about Shirley, he had to play guard his final year with the Bengals. His whole mindset on the game took a complete 180 and then back when he signed with Carolina. Four games, four tackles, two and a half sacks and a forced fumble is pretty good for a guy who played guard with his last official NFL snap.

#77 SteveSmithTD89

SteveSmithTD89

• ALL-PRO
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I am content with what we have at DT. If we go two straight years without drafting or signing a major free agent then maybe I will worry. Maybe they felt like the guys available to them weren't the real deal so why bother.

We don't need a major free agent. The young guys were thrown into an unvaorable situation last season. Ron knew it, and barring any setbacks from injury they'll both be better for it. They will (well one of em, idk about fua) improve our defense. Giving Rivera Edwards, Hogan, Alexander, Beason, Keuchly, Norman, and maybe TD and you can't deny we will get better. With the solid level of competition to hopefully replace Martin and our defense really should be destined for a top 15 turn around.

Another interesting thing to note during that span when we got better on defense was our offense. We were balanced, efficient and just straight lethal until we ran into the saints at home determined to run up the score. Its an offensive league and right now, our best defense will be our great offense.

#78 SteveSmithTD89

SteveSmithTD89

• ALL-PRO
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Also, I would definitely expect a signing of one of the remaining mid tier DTs available right now.

#79 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Im a fan of Shirley and Kearse. They are way bigger...way stronger than the 2 rookies from last year.
I mean these two guys combine for like 660 lbs of just pure beef. Add big Ron in there...pretty much at 1000 lbs of just nastiness on the DLine. Just three big hogs at DT. Im good with that.

I thought Shirley,Kearse and Nesbit showed promise.

#80 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

I think the bigger question mark is with the cb position unless they saw something in Hogan.Even then what if gamble would go down?

#81 Seltzer

Seltzer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLKN

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

It's not likely that any of the DT's taken in this year's draft will have much, if any, major impact this year. DT's and WR's generally make the least amount of impact their first years in the NFL.

I believe the Panthers will evaluate the group they have and add a veteran guy in training camp if necessary. But it really is too early to write off any of the DT's the Panthers currently have of the roster.

People expected Newton to struggle with no offseason, but he is potentially a once-in-a-lifetime talent.

McClain and Fua didn't have an offseason either, and I'm sure that played a part along with just how hard playing DT is. The difference in both talent & technique between college and NFL level O-lineman is tremendous.

Many DT's dominate in college based almost exclusively on athletic talent, so there is a learning curve to learn technique, etc. Offensive linemen know where they are going at the snap, DT's have to react.

Taking Kuechly was the right move b/c the DT's may be a lot better than fans on the outside expect this year (Rivera certainly thinks so), and the LB corp was one Beason/ Davis setback from being terrible again.

Rivera has earned a lot of credibility coaching defense, so I trust his judgement above any fan, including my own.

#82 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,339 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:14 PM

Fua is not NFL DT material. I dont know what games some of the people on here were watching. Fua got pushed around like a grocery cart. The dude is a soda can. Short..stubby...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com