#1 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,848 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

http://news.yahoo.co.../us_mileage_tax

WASHINGTON – A House committee chairman said Tuesday that he wants Congress to enact a mileage-based tax on cars and trucks to pay for highway programs now rather than wait years to test the idea.

Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., said he believes the technology exists to implement a mileage tax. He said he sees no point in waiting years for the results of pilot programs since such a tax system is inevitable as federal gasoline tax revenues decline.

"Why do we need a pilot program? Why don't we just phase it in?" said Oberstar, the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee chairman. Oberstar is drafting a six-year transportation bill to fund highway and transit programs that is expected to total around a half trillion dollars.

A congressionally mandated commission on transportation financing alternatives recommended switching to a vehicle-miles traveled tax, but estimated it would take a decade to put a national system in place.

"I think it can be done in far less than that, maybe two years," Oberstar said at a House hearing. He was responding to testimony by Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., who recommended that the transportation bill include pilot programs in every state to test the viability of a mileage-based tax.

Blumenauer said public acceptance, not technology, is the main obstacle to a mileage-based tax.

Pilot programs "would be able to increase public awareness and comfort and it would hasten the day we could make the transition," Blumenauer said.

Oberstar shrugged off that concern.

"I'm at a point of impatience with more studies," Oberstar said. He suggested that Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., chairman of the highways and transit subcommittee, set up a meeting of transportation experts and members of Congress to figure out how it could be done.

The tax would entail equipping vehicles with GPS technology to determine how many miles a car has been driven and whether on interstate highways or secondary roads. The devices would also calculate the amount of tax owed.

#2 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

If this person wins a re election I don't want to hear squat from that area.

#3 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,902 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

What about sales guys like me that use our vehicles for work?

F*ck this guy and this stupid ass idea. Democrats are retards.

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

So the only ones working...lets tax them as they go TO and FROM work.
BRILLANT!

#5 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,902 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

What about rental cars? I've probably put 400 miles on a rental car this week making calls in Florida. I assume under this dipsh*ts proposal, I'd be paying taxes on top of all the other bullsh*t airport fees and taxes that Hertz already charges?

This is a god damned joke!

#6 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

I guess now they are upset about cars getting better fuel milage

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

Thats going to be a problem. The roads will still be built and less money will be coming in. How else would the same needed revenue come in?

If the gas tax is lowered to help compensate, then the people who use the roads the most pay the most. Not only does that sound quite Republican, it also adds another reason to consider bundling trips out to save more money, in addition to using less fuel.

Unless of course you are a whiny Republican pissed that he has to drive all over the place in a huge truck - then it is not a "fair share" tax but a "tax and spend Democrat plan".

There are a lot of problems with implementing a plan like this, but something will have to be done in the future to keep our roads in repair.

What other things could we do?

#8 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,622 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

What other things could we do?

Legalize pot and tax it. :)

Personally, I would prefer toll roads to mileage tax.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hey, what if they sold pot at the toll booths?

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hey...here's a thought...quit raiding the highway fund you stupid b***h, Perdue.

#11 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,163 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

Toll roads. It doesn't penalize someone who works much further away than someone who either can walk to work or has the luxury of working from home.
Mileage tax is more regressive where a toll, oddly enough in this case,would be progressive.
You can't allow the Big Three to build vehicles that get modest MPG and then turn around and take the person when they buy the vehicle, tax them property tax then the gall to try and tax how FAR they drive. Insidious.

Modernize each states funding method. Byzantine is a word I heard today to describe it.

#12 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Rural vs. urban...yeah...tax the rural folks more. Makes complete sense. /sarcasm

Um...no...it doesn't.

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

G5 must be a hick lolz

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER