102 replies to this topic

#91 holderoftruth

holderoftruth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

In response to the Panther/Bobcat comparison:

The Panthers have never relocated to a different city. Making that comparison and suggesting racism due to the fact fans didn't demand re-branding is a little farfetched.

#92 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

The Panthers like the Bobcats are a losing franchise and have weak brand identity relative to other teams. We just "redesigned" our logo and only die hards and people in NC notice the difference. A "rebrand" isnt as far fetched as Panther homers would like to portray. And according to Hornets fans, their brand and identity is stronger than the Panthers.

#93 holderoftruth

holderoftruth

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Two years ago this board had many posters that wanted to clean house which included some who wanted Richardson to step down. Cheap, old, and a out-of-touch owner were terms which were used regularly on this board. The reason re-branding never came up because the city of Charlotte never experienced a different NFL team before the Panthers.

If the roles were reversed and the Panthers had left Charlotte many years ago, and we went through the 2008-2010 seasons, while getting rid of popular players, ala Gerald Wallace, then I would fully expect re-branding to come up. The main reason rebranding has taken off is due to the Hornets name being available. It seems the support for rebranding dies if the Hornets name isn't involved, and I would expect that to translate to the our NFL team if this situation happened and the Panthers name became available.

The reason why fans want to rebrand back to the Hornets is because we were the Charlotte Hornets before the Charlotte Bobcats. Obviously if the Bobcats racked up the wins then this discussion would be null.

#94 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Well, if you are a sane and balanced person, if many people are pointing out the same faults you have over and over again, you eventually try to change yourself instead of keep doing the samething over and over.

#95 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm black and never get attacked by intelligent people so I don't see the whole "this board attacks blacks" thing.

#96 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 15,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

I didn't know this thread was here until today. I also didn't expect to see the race issue confronted in it but being that it is in a less frequented part of the board, I'll go ahead an lay it all out there (as I don't like to put all of my personal business out in the more frequented forums, although I've contemplated it).

First off, @d4rk, to give you some background... I've been a Bobcats fan since day one. I grew up a Hornets fan, but when they left, they were dead to me. We got the Bobcats, I support the Bobcats. I was excited to be recognized as the first pro sports organization with a minority owner. But then BoJo went to work and made some horrible decisions and really soured me with anything to do with what he contributed in his time as owner. To me, he equaled George Shinn, who I still hate, and it's simply because of their attitude and ineptitude as owners. It has nothing to do with race - you can bet that, and I'll address that more shortly.

So, supposedly, the "rebrand to Hornets" movement actually started a few years back according to John Morgan (the organizer behind it), but I was unaware of it. I believe he said they started in 2010. Then I came across their petition this year and thought it was interesting but far-fetched. You can even look up my original posts about the petition both here and at Bobcatsplanet and see how hesitant I was. I initially thought the movement was somewhat irrational and, for lack of a better phrase, childishly naive in approach... But, then things started falling into place.

I was initially of the feeling that, "it's not going to happen so I'm not putting my full support behind something that is so unproductive and probably futile." But, the more dominoes that started to fall, the more I started to come around to the idea that it was very likely to happen. In my mind, if I can get the team name and brand back that I grew up rooting for on our current franchise and feel as though the front office of our franchise was striving to make that connection with the community, then I'm all for it. And of course, I can't lie, I still hold some bitter feelings towards Bob Johnson, just as I do towards George Shinn. Again, strictly based on their snootiness and ego-maniacal decisions they made as owners.

But, if the rebrand were to happen, then it gives us a fresh start. George Shinn is no longer associated with the Hornets, so it doesn't hurt us to take it back. At the same time, it kind of wipes our slate clean from BoJo's failures, and it is now Charlotte's team. Not George's, not Bob's... It's Charlotte's team. It doesn't erase the past of either, but it signifies the movement towards rectifying the mistakes that both made. That's a win-win.

Additionally, once they put the polls out and things started falling into place for a rebrand to happen... Well, what do you know... Voters on the poll showed that they overwhelmingly support a Hornets rebrand. If I recall, it was 80-some percent were in favor of the Hornets, while only 3% were in favor of remaining the Bobcats. Even worse, more people favored the Cougars even over the Bobcats.

F*ck New Orleans. And the same to George Shinn and to Bob Johnson. This is about my hometeam, and we have the opportunity to start fresh. Let's do it.

As to the disaster that has happened on the Bobcats forum here...

I have sided with KT too many times to count over the years. I considered him a friend, well, at least as much as you can with "internet friends." I also always got along with PSC for the most part. But, once the rebrand stuff happened, their apparent inability to see the world in shades of grey caused them to go apesh*t crazy on me, as well as others. They refuse to see it as anything other than black and white, when it is very much grey, and to guys who talk about progressiveness, that just doesn't seem to jive very well.

I've been a Bobcats fan since day one... I still have an effing Emeka Okafor jersey hanging in my closet, lol (embarrassing). I've posted in that forum since forever and did the same at Bobcatsplanet. This is about my hometeam whom I will always support even if I don't agree with all of the choices made by the front offices. I am obligated to pull for these teams, because they represent me and vice versa. I'm from NC, and will always rep NC, and so do these teams.

So, when this rebrand issue came up, and I have KT insulting me for not being from Charlotte, and saying I have no right to pull for the team or have any say because of that... Well, that's insulting. Then when he and PSC, decided that wasn't enough of an insult, then it became anyone who wanted a rebrand wasn't a fan. To someone who has suffered as a fan over the miserable seasons we've had, botched moves, and one playoff appearance in which we were embarrassingly swept... That is super insulting. Then to put the cherry on top, I'm told because I want a rebrand, I'm a racist.

The same guy who fought on the same side of arguments and went to bat for KT numerous times over the years when it came to Cam, Mike Vick, Barry Bonds, etc., whatever the case may have been... Now I'm racist.

You don't see the hilarity of it all? You don't see how insulting that is?

Now here's where I spill the beans.

This is why my posting in the Bobcats Forum has greatly decreased.

I'll let you guys in on a little secret...

I grew up in a low-income area in Fayetteville. I went to my first few years of elementary school with the same kids from Murchison Rd. in Fayetteville, which has earned the legendary moniker of "The Murk" in the Ville. That's where I came from. I was the minority in this school. As a first grader, I had my head repeatedly slammed into a bus seat for asking why someone was stealing my pencils from my trapper keeper... The kids that did it were in the 5th grade and probably about two times my size, or more (I was the smallest kid in my class until 9th grade when I hit a growth spurt and averaged out).

And even in those times, another kid would come and sit with me when I felt all alone on the bus... We'd draw pictures of the Simpsons and just talk about stuff. He treated me like an equal. Like a friend. Guess what the common factor was between him and the kids who tried to cave my head in? They were black.

So, my parents moved right outside of Fayetteville when I was 9 or 10, but I still played all of my rec ball in Fayetteville. When I got older, I still worked all of my jobs in Fayetteville as a teen, and I only hung out in Fayetteville. It's my home. But, around where my parents moved, I was again an outcast. And to be honest, it wasn't much different from the city... We had stuff stolen the first two weeks we were out there. My mom was jumped by another woman while waiting at the bus stop for my little sister because she testified in court against her sons for stealing from someone else like they had us. Amazingly, the woman didn't get any charges against her, but we lived everyday under stress and fear. They threatened that they were going to kill us.

By the way, they were white (and more accurately, white trash).

To make things worse, my dad worked a middle-class job at a factory, but because of his own selfishness and mismanagement with money, I dressed like I was poor. When I went to school, I wasn't really given many options as to who to hang out with, you know, because of the whole clique thing. Luckily, I was a class-clown and had enough of a personality to make friends throughout all of the little gangs people had... But, for whatever reason, I seemed to be most accepted by my black peers.

And throughout my life, I've only had three or four people that I would consider "best friends." Two were white, two were black. Most of my friends at school were black as my white friends didn't want to be closely associated with me while we were at school, so they'd distance themselves.

I went through rough patches, almost got in a fight with a coach, etc. I ended up dropping out. I met my wife a few months later while working. We progressed quickly... She was the exact opposite of me... Although I was in academically gifted programs, I hated school for some of the reasons I listed above. She was class president, 4.0+ gpa, college-bound, etc. She encouraged me to go back to school and finish. I did.

She went through college and I worked dead-end jobs to help get us through where I could. I decided to go to college. I went back, worked off and on, we had three children over the duration of both of our schooling, and I played basketball at my JUCO before settling on transferring into UNC (I wanted to go to a DII my friend had a connection with, but my family was already settled here and I had been accepted). I graduated in December.

Now, want to know the kicker? My wife isn't white. My children aren't white. My wife is black and my children are biracial.

Take all of that into account and then tell me all of these generalizations that KT has stupidly thrown out there in his racist net apply. Additionally, go back and look at some of his comments in those threads directed at me only. I'd argue that they were some of the most insulting things that I have ever endured on the internet considering where I'm coming from... And that's not even mentioning the whole "you're spoiled... you feel a sense of entitlement due to your spoiled background and white privilege... blah blah blah..." insults.

So there you have it. That's why this issue has been so flame worthy. That's why civil discussion isn't happening. That's why threads are being derailed and race is brought up.

You can keep defending KT if you want, that's your personal preference, but to me, his attitude and insults have become indefensible when it comes to these recent posts. And coming from a family of mixed backgrounds as well as my own personal experiences, I find his words hurtful, insulting, and intolerable.

Now go ahead and hit me with a "tl;dr" but I think if everyone actually read what I just typed, the Huddle would be better for it. People need to sit back and process things before they idiotically smack off.

/rant

#97 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Some friend. I disagree with you once, Im gonna try to have you banned or demoted from your job. Diddy tolerated me, and when I didnt put his Hornets on a pedestal to trash the Bobs he revealed his true feelings. Just like when the Bobs hit their low point, he kicked em while they were down and claimed the Hornets. He tolerated them, but never liked them or identified with them. Its not surprising he's more angry with me and cried about this more than anything in his tenure on the board. I am black. And Diddy like some of these twirps on this board gets more fired up about "putting a black man in his place" then sports. He's got more posts about banning me and "fug Bob Johnson" then sports or the Panthers.

#98 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

KT you're a joke.

You know what you're saying is a crock of sh*t, but you have to maintain the same trolling angle you adopted since rebranding came up.

And here you come with the "black versus white" crap again. I just gave a novel's worth of reasons why that doesn't factor into my reasoning one bit. I have more of a reason to be neutral or side with minorities than 95% of the posters on this board. If I don't like a person or what they have done, it's because of who they are as a human being or what they have done with their actions. When you recklessly throw out "racist" and "bigot" at people, you are hurting the very people you claim to be representing.

I've been discriminated against all my life in some form or fashion, and never once did it deter me from doing what I needed to do. I didn't have any privilege or benefit over anyone else. I came from damn near rock bottom and earned everything I have. I still experience discrimination to this day for various reasons, but often times because I'm white and my wife is black.

This is why I can't take you seriously. I just laid all that out there on this forum for the first time in my entire existence on this site and your very next post is still accusing me of being racist and having racial motivations for my reasoning.

I shouldn't have expected more from a guy who pie'd PSC for saying MJ was an uncle tom.

If anyone is intending harm towards the black community, it's you with your own words. You want to talk all this big sh*t, but what are you doing? You glorify Bob Johnson, the very man who sold out black culture through BET with the airing of such fine, upstanding, and respectable programming as BET UNCut. But, MJ is an uncle tom because he isn't rocking a kufi.

And don't try to turn sh*t around on me, "friend." You insulted me numerous times before I asked to have you removed. It had nothing to do with Hornets or Bobcats... You made it personal, so I obliged. You wanted it to be personal? Good. It is. You're a shitty, hate-filled mod... I just didn't get to see it until you projected the brunt of that hate towards me. So thanks for that.

You talk loyalty, but look where you are. Throwing people under the bus that argued and fought adamantly against a good amount of the posters here on so many subjects. I prefer one brand over another for our franchise and now the gloves are off and loyalties be damned, at least that's what you decided.

You insulted me, my wife, my kids, where I'm from, and who I am. I don't take lightly to that. So unless you're going to make amends, then save the bullsh*t for your nurse whenever you finally get locked up in an insane asylum... Because if you truly believe even a third of the sh*t you say, you aren't far from being there.

Unlike you, race isn't a factor in my mind or thinking, unless it is brought to my attention by some hate-filled individual such as yourself. If this is who you really are, you are a disgrace to humans everywhere. You are so quick to paint everything in black and white because that's how you see the world, well have at it. I live in reality and not in a box.

"Friends" went out the window when you insulted me. I always showed you respect as an individual until you did that. So, you can go ahead and take ownership of that, or you can just continue to blame others and project your own feelings onto others and play the victim, like you apparently do with everything else.

This is the internet. No one is afraid of you. No one is out to get you. No one is out to dethrone a black male from his high perch among the Bobcats Forum at Carolinahuddle.com. In fact, if you haven't already realized, I don't care that you're black. That means nothing to me... In case you didn't read, my children are half-black, for demographic purposes. But, I don't like them to identify as any race, but rather as human beings who are proud of both sides of their heritage. Race is nothing but a description, an identifier... It's not an excuse or a "reason." At least not for people who are free of racial bias. Marinate on that.

#99 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

When did Diddy turn into PFFL? Chill wit the essays dude. As down as you claim to be Diddy, you're not. Your response to have me banned or stripped because you felt entitled let me know everything I need to know about you. Thats not the stance or attitude of someone I would wanna be cool wit. Like the other dorks you hate differences. Ive never asked for you to be banned, and I wouldnt go over your head to put you in your place. What other mods have you gone this far with? Or begged Zod to ban? None
. Theres nothing scarier, more hated, more feared than a opinionated black man. Look at your actions, look at your grudges. What has it gained you, aside the allegiance of non fans? Now you're tryna convince yourself youre not acting biased. LOL. Look man, being a Bobcat fan isnt for you. Stick with the Hornets, theyre dixie enough for you.

#100 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,472 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

And he continues to cling to it. At least he's consistent.

#101 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

The biggest thing I pulled from this thread is that there are some Hurney loyal defenders not liking the Bobcats for losing.

#102 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 15,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

When did Diddy turn into PFFL? Chill wit the essays dude. As down as you claim to be Diddy, you're not. Your response to have me banned or stripped because you felt entitled let me know everything I need to know about you. Thats not the stance or attitude of someone I would wanna be cool wit. Like the other dorks you hate differences. Ive never asked for you to be banned, and I wouldnt go over your head to put you in your place. What other mods have you gone this far with? Or begged Zod to ban? None
. Theres nothing scarier, more hated, more feared than a opinionated black man. Look at your actions, look at your grudges. What has it gained you, aside the allegiance of non fans? Now you're tryna convince yourself youre not acting biased. LOL. Look man, being a Bobcat fan isnt for you. Stick with the Hornets, theyre dixie enough for you.

Hate, hate, hate.

That's all you got.

I know essays are a little too much for you, but I figured if I used more words that it might make a dent in that impenetrable titanium mass you have in place of a brain.

I ain't ever asked for you to be cool with me. I just expected you to be civil and respectful just as I had been to you. Oops, forgot, I suggested we rebrand so that apparently was the same as insulting your mother, despite the fact that I'm still a fan of the team and will continue to be... But, who cares. I don't fit KT's requirements for being a fan. Maybe one day the 325 of you Bobcat Johnson fans will see the world in all of the colors it presents itself in to the rest of us.

You have no argument, all you have is biases and racism, and you stick to it.

You clearly did not read anything I wrote (it was probably over your paragraph max.), or you just lack the ability to comprehend it.

You are the only one using phrases like "put you/him in your/their place." I clearly don't suffer from the same little man complex you do. And you're right, you didn't go over me... Because you were a poorly chosen mod, you directly insulted me and others and then locked a thread. That's why I asked the other mods to address it, because there was no due process, so to speak. There was no majority rule or even input requested from one other person besides yourself. You did that all on your own accord. And then I asked for there to be a second mod placed in the Bobcats forum... Tell Zod or Kurb to send you my PM's if it means that much to you. I didn't ask for you to be removed, I asked for another mod to be able to balance things out or at least provide perspective or some fairness because you were too emotional to practice either yourself.

So, sorry, your victim role doesn't apply here. Try again.

Oh yeah, that's right... No one is victimizing you! You are a scary (on the internet), opinionated (on the internet), loud (on the internet) and brash (on the internet) black man! Everyone can see you are black through their computer monitors! They're all out to get you! They know your black before you ever stroke a key on your keyboard!

SMH...

I have a lifelong track record to support my realness, fairness, and objectivity in REAL LIFE. What I don't have is a little man complex that I use my ill-advised appointment as a Bobcats Forum mod to relieve myself of.

You keep being a Bob's Johnson fan, and I'll keep being a Bobcats fan.

Now if excuse me, I have to go catch up on the latest podcast from Tavis Smiley and Cornel West... After I put on my "opinionated black man" filtering Dre Beats headphones.

LOL

#103 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

A mod needs to go in the Larry Bird thread. Someone ban Al Sharpton please, his act is getting quite old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com