105 replies to this topic

#1 Man Strength

Man Strength

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Everyone (on the huddle) keeps shouting about Ron Edwards like he is a stud. Yeah I get that he is a serviceable starter, but lets not act like he is much more than an average starter, at best. The guy is pretty old, just missed a whole year, was already declining before he signed with the panthers and was just ok to begin with. He will help, he is a piece of the puzzle, but he is not going to single handedly change our defense. If he had been a panther his whole career everyone would want to draft a DT to replace him, yet now he is the answer (excuse) to not drafting one. I for one, am ok with not drafting DT, even if I most certainly would have myself. Finding serviceable DTs isnt the hardest thing, the hard part is finding above average youngish DTs who can do more than just run stuff.

The real problem last year was that fua and mcclain were terrible. end of story, no room for argument. Perhaps they improve, in fact its even likely, but they were empirically bad last year. abrayo franklin could be signed for a plate of bacon and would be vastly better than those guys were last year. Ill take kearse and neblett over mcclain and fua any day.

Ron Edwards: pretty ok player, great lock room guy, reasonable contract, not a stud. This is all totally ok, but lets not keep pretending the reality is something else.

rant/

#2 Jesse

Jesse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

He seems like a HOF compared to our DT corps of last year.

#3 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

Agreed. He's old, injury prone, and wasn't much more than serviceable even when healthy. He can be a useful part of the rotation, but Hurney screwed up big by putting us in a position where we had to rely on him to prevent us from starting two rookies at DT.

#4 janderson20vt

janderson20vt

Double Bubble

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

Glad someone said it. I've been very confused about so many people talking like Ron Edwards is going to come back and be Ndamukong Suh or something.

#5 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

Ron Edwards...pffft....Frank Kearse is the future!

#6 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,219 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

You're the only person mentioning Ron Edwards.

#7 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

The team's locker room and the coaching staff make the man. This team must be Rivera-like or fail. When it was Siefart-like it failed, the team is the coach. That is my take. Ron Edwards will be as good as he thinks he can be, and that is up to Rivera. Just like Cam. Give the man 3 years to see if he is head coach material.

#8 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Omgz why can't we have pro bowlers at every position! Out of 22 starters, every team has a few that are serviceable at best with backups who will end up playing 7 on 7 Eh

#9 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,303 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

We don't need any of the DTs to do anything special. We just need two big dudes in there eating up blocks. Edwards and Shirley are both 330-340. Kearse is 320. We just need them to hold their ground and not get buried like Fua did all last year. Fua was thrown around like a wet paper towel. We need two big fat strong pigs in there. Hopefully they crush golden corral every night packing on pounds. The bigger the better

#10 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,259 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

he's barely adequate on his best day

somehow that's good enough for a lot of panther fans lol

#11 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Pffffffffff said that when he signed. Warm body.

#12 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,085 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

He will be like Damien Lewis was for us. Frank Kearse will be our beast.

#13 Woodcookedbbq

Woodcookedbbq

Vinegar Based

• HUDDLER
  • 2,393 posts
  • LocationGreenville, NC

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Not to mention Fua jumped offsides more than any player I remember. That dude needs a lot of work.

#14 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

I feel really good about this year.

Rivera knows what he is doing when it comes to defense. Let's get out of the John Fox mentality, and get on board. We have a really good LB squad, maybe one of the best in the league. We have a lot of competition at DB. surely Nakamura or Reggie Smith can help at safety, and they both will make an impact on Special Teams along with our new returner Adams.

We got Cam, Smitty, and TRIPLE Trouble! We got Gross, Kalil, Silatolu, and the rest of the boys that kept Cam healthy last year.
We get to see if Gettis can get on board with Cam, and we know that LaFell is improving. Greg Olson says "Hi", and maybe we can get Shock on good contract if he doesnt sign somewhere else.

And for a cherry on top, we get The Saints struggling with their problems. This team is going to the playoffs.

-hehe, I meant to post this in a different thread, but whatever, its cool...

#15 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

2 - 3 years people

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt, defense, dline, ron edwards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users