Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can We Stop Pretending That Ron Edwards Is Anything Special

106 posts in this topic

Posted

Plug in Edwards and Shirley. Shirley had 2 sacks and a forced fumble in 4 games. Run D improved with Shirley and Kearse on the field.

Posted

Can you stop pretending that you know better than the coaches and staff?

douche.gif

Posted

Most people don't understand the system we run. That is very clear.

Posted

oh for fugs sake. he played seven seasons with kansas city iirc, never missed a game, and after he goes down with a freakish injury, literally the only one of his career, you mental giants are labeling him 'injury prone?'

kansas city fans were livid when the front office failed to re-sign him and he walked as a free agent. he was considered our big free agent splash of the 2011 season and an outstanding signing that would fit the mcdermott model of fatass lineman that hog blockers. he has never played a down of football with the carolina panthers so unless you're scouring your game tape from youtube videos and analyzing his play with the chiefs you have exactly zero ground on which to stand.

the jury is out on edwards. it always has been and it will be until we get a look at him in training camp. I swear to god I know actual oysters with more intellectual firepower than some of the chronic bitchers patrolling this establishment

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad someone said it. I've been very confused about so many people talking like Ron Edwards is going to come back and be Ndamukong Suh or something.

I'm so tired of everyone complaining about drafting a DT thinking that one of the prospects from this year will come in and have a rookie season and contribute like Suh did his first year, let alone have a better career. All you need to do is have someone serviceable who can hold the line of scrimmage and keep lineman off of our backers IE Ron Edwards, and like Kearse and Shirley did towards the end of last year....

Posted

Agreed. He's old, injury prone, and wasn't much more than serviceable even when healthy. He can be a useful part of the rotation, but Hurney screwed up big by putting us in a position where we had to rely on him to prevent us from starting two rookies at DT.

one injury in his entire career makes him injury prone? Yeah, you should have ended with that because I stopped reading at that point because you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Posted

Most of these people think that Warren Sap and Ndamukong Suh type players grow on trees

Posted

oh for fugs sake. he played seven seasons with kansas city iirc, never missed a game, and after he goes down with a freakish injury, literally the only one of his career, you mental giants are labeling him 'injury prone?'

kansas city fans were livid when the front office failed to re-sign him and he walked as a free agent. he was considered our big free agent splash of the 2011 season and an outstanding signing that would fit the mcdermott model of fatass lineman that hog blockers. he has never played a down of football with the carolina panthers so unless you're scouring your game tape from youtube videos and analyzing his play with the chiefs you have exactly zero ground on which to stand.

the jury is out on edwards. it always has been and it will be until we get a look at him in training camp. I swear to god I know actual oysters with more intellectual firepower than some of the chronic bitchers patrolling this establishment

You are like the only person on here that actually has common sense and isn't a complete moron about everything. Well there are a couple others, but it's very few.

Posted

Usually when players get old the injury bug catches hold...

Posted

I haven't really read anywhere on the Huddle where anyone said he was an elite level talent, or really even alluded to such an opinion. But, he is light years ahead of what was displayed by our rookies last year, and his presence may have helped us get to .500 (but of course we'll never know). He is an experienced starter who won't be manhandled. He's been there and done that, so the moment won't be too big for him. Will he get sacks? Probably not. Will he help stuff some runs, and be an effective, if not efficient, lineman? His playing history has already answered that question (yes).

There is only one Suh in the league. The ghost of Haynesworth has floated away. In other words, there ain't too many starting DTs that are elite. Most are like Ron Edwards.

Posted

Apparently these days 1 injury is all it takes for the "injury prone" tag. It's happened to Beason, now Edwards in this thread. Both played 3+ year careers without missing a game, then 1 injury and all of a sudden they're "prone". Hell, Stewart got that tag before ever missing his first game after two years of 16 game seasons.

Posted

If he can provide the same thing Maake provided in '08 before the injury, I'll be more than happy.