105 replies to this topic

#31 Rook35200

Rook35200

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

Most of these people think that Warren Sap and Ndamukong Suh type players grow on trees

#32 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

oh for fugs sake. he played seven seasons with kansas city iirc, never missed a game, and after he goes down with a freakish injury, literally the only one of his career, you mental giants are labeling him 'injury prone?'

kansas city fans were livid when the front office failed to re-sign him and he walked as a free agent. he was considered our big free agent splash of the 2011 season and an outstanding signing that would fit the mcdermott model of fatass lineman that hog blockers. he has never played a down of football with the carolina panthers so unless you're scouring your game tape from youtube videos and analyzing his play with the chiefs you have exactly zero ground on which to stand.

the jury is out on edwards. it always has been and it will be until we get a look at him in training camp. I swear to god I know actual oysters with more intellectual firepower than some of the chronic bitchers patrolling this establishment

You are like the only person on here that actually has common sense and isn't a complete moron about everything. Well there are a couple others, but it's very few.

#33 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

Usually when players get old the injury bug catches hold...

#34 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,575 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

I haven't really read anywhere on the Huddle where anyone said he was an elite level talent, or really even alluded to such an opinion. But, he is light years ahead of what was displayed by our rookies last year, and his presence may have helped us get to .500 (but of course we'll never know). He is an experienced starter who won't be manhandled. He's been there and done that, so the moment won't be too big for him. Will he get sacks? Probably not. Will he help stuff some runs, and be an effective, if not efficient, lineman? His playing history has already answered that question (yes).

There is only one Suh in the league. The ghost of Haynesworth has floated away. In other words, there ain't too many starting DTs that are elite. Most are like Ron Edwards.

#35 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,920 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Apparently these days 1 injury is all it takes for the "injury prone" tag. It's happened to Beason, now Edwards in this thread. Both played 3+ year careers without missing a game, then 1 injury and all of a sudden they're "prone". Hell, Stewart got that tag before ever missing his first game after two years of 16 game seasons.

#36 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:38 AM

If he can provide the same thing Maake provided in '08 before the injury, I'll be more than happy.

#37 Car123

Car123

Newton's Law

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

He's rated an 81 on Madden!
That's good enough for me!

#38 Zithers

Zithers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:33 AM

i think a lot of people mention him because he's an average DT... which is way, way better than what we had last year. therefore, he is an improvement.

i think everyone realizes that the DT spot could use some better, more experienced players. but there is some potential and as rivera keeps saying, they played pretty well towards the end of the year.

#39 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,134 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:07 AM

Quick, who was the DT on the Chargers when they were ranked #1 under Rivera? Surely an all-pro level talent, right?

Antonio Garay, signed off of the Jets' practice squad. Same age, body, and talents as Edwards, only not as good.

Rivera's scheme doesn't require anything more, Edwards is the ideal fit for it.

#40 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

Plug in Edwards and Shirley. Shirley had 2 sacks and a forced fumble in 4 games. Run D improved with Shirley and Kearse on the field.

Doubtful that we would play Edwards and Shirley at the same time. Both are the same type of player...large space eating NT type. You would typically play a quicker UT along side your NT....similar to McClain, Kearse, or Neblett.

But, you never know what Rivera will Di.

#41 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Quick, who was the DT on the Chargers when they were ranked #1 under Rivera? Surely an all-pro level talent, right?

Antonio Garay, signed off of the Jets' practice squad. Same age, body, and talents as Edwards, only not as good.

Rivera's scheme doesn't require anything more, Edwards is the ideal fit for it.

Exactly. Rivera's scheme is built around the LB play.

#42 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,629 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

I never heard anyone say he was the second coming but they were depending on him to start last year.I think he will be competeing for his job this year.

#43 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

We don't need any of the DTs to do anything special. We just need two big dudes in there eating up blocks. Edwards and Shirley are both 330-340. Kearse is 320. We just need them to hold their ground and not get buried like Fua did all last year. Fua was thrown around like a wet paper towel. We need two big fat strong pigs in there. Hopefully they crush golden corral every night packing on pounds. The bigger the better

Edwards is 315

#44 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

How about waiting until he plays a down for us before deciding what he is or isn't or how he will play for us. Edwards came here as a sought after free agent and has had a solid career before landing on IR last year. What do people expect him to do?? His job is stuff the run and help collapse the pocket to keep quarterbacks from stepping up. In 2010 he had 37 tackles and 2 sacks. He will anchor the line and that is what we need him to do. How do we know if he is average or not until we see him play in our scheme this year?

#45 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

All i have heard are people claiming he is a solid DT. That does mean something when you have gotten subpar performances

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt, defense, dline, ron edwards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com