• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#46 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Quick, who was the DT on the Chargers when they were ranked #1 under Rivera? Surely an all-pro level talent, right?

Antonio Garay, signed off of the Jets' practice squad. Same age, body, and talents as Edwards, only not as good.

Rivera's scheme doesn't require anything more, Edwards is the ideal fit for it.

I love this way of spinning a situation to not only diminish a weakness but then turn it into a positive.....well done.

#47 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,311 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

you can watch the 29 games edwards started between 2009/2010 on game rewind. it's not a huge mystery.

#48 Panther17

Panther17

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Can we stop pretending we had access to game film on each of these draft prospects, interviewed them, talked to their coaches, and had the means to thoroughly check them all out before making an inform decision on who would be best suited for our team.

I'm going to admit I was on the chat hoping for Cox when it was our pick. I was disappointed when it wasn't. But Rivera has given us no reason yet not to trust him helping Hurney with draft choices. After all, wasn't it Rivera that wanted Cam last year?

If Rivera truly believes Cox or any of the other rookie DT's were not either better than what we already have or better player than the player we picked, I'm going with the plan.

#49 Mr Smiley

Mr Smiley

Nooblet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Locationcharlotte

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

I dont think you can find alot of people on here who remotely called Ron anything more then a 'good' starter. He will help solidify the defense. Hes never going to be Suh.

#50 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

I dont think you can find alot of people on here who remotely called Ron anything more then a 'good' starter. He will help solidify the defense. Hes never going to be Suh.

The word "beast" was thrown around a bit too much in reference to him, especially considering most have never watched him play. Maybe that term doesn't mean as much as I figured.

#51 EMSMedic79

EMSMedic79

Member since 2005

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationOn the Water

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

I wanna see him play a down in a Panthers uniform before I make a decision.

#52 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

oh for fugs sake. he played seven seasons with kansas city iirc, never missed a game, and after he goes down with a freakish injury, literally the only one of his career, you mental giants are labeling him 'injury prone?'

kansas city fans were livid when the front office failed to re-sign him and he walked as a free agent. he was considered our big free agent splash of the 2011 season and an outstanding signing that would fit the mcdermott model of fatass lineman that hog blockers. he has never played a down of football with the carolina panthers so unless you're scouring your game tape from youtube videos and analyzing his play with the chiefs you have exactly zero ground on which to stand.

the jury is out on edwards. it always has been and it will be until we get a look at him in training camp. I swear to god I know actual oysters with more intellectual firepower than some of the chronic bitchers patrolling this establishment

Livid? http://fans.kcchiefs...252128&d=680035

#53 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,742 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

you can watch the 29 games edwards started between 2009/2010 on game rewind. it's not a huge mystery.

He played in different schemes with different personnel around him. It isn't as if line players in particular play in isolation. So he will be a function of the scheme and who is around him which is not the same as when he was in KC or Buffalo.

#54 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,687 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Ron Edwards is no stud.

He's also an accomplish veteran defensive tackle.

So stop talking as if he's nothing.

#55 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

I don't expect Edwards to be anything special. He's a decent veteran starter. Which is a significant upgrade from anything we had last year.

#56 markbm62

markbm62

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

The reason I am excited about Edwards playing this year is not based solely on his skill level but on the other things he brings to the front line, like maturity, stability, and experience. Edwards was a big help to the younger DTs last year after he was hurt, instead of staying home and rehabbing his injury, he was at the games encouraging his teammates and giving them advice from the sidelines. Just think how much more he can do on the field.

#57 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,311 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

He played in different schemes with different personnel around him. It isn't as if line players in particular play in isolation. So he will be a function of the scheme and who is around him which is not the same as when he was in KC or Buffalo.

of course. some people are talking about him like he's some unknown who's never played a down, though.

#58 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,817 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Everyone? I stopped reading after that. Edwards is serviceable, nothing more, nothing less. There, I am not part of everyone, so you're OP is wrong.

#59 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

The reason I am excited about Edwards playing this year is not based solely on his skill level but on the other things he brings to the front line, like maturity, stability, and experience. Edwards was a big help to the younger DTs last year after he was hurt, instead of staying home and rehabbing his injury, he was at the games encouraging his teammates and giving them advice from the sidelines. Just think how much more he can do on the field.

If he can be Buckner-esque, that would be awesome.

#60 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

What I don't understand the hate for Fua and McClain. Everyone says they played horrible but what I saw was a struggling defense all around, including guys like Gamble, Anderson and Johnson. Why that was the case I don't know since I'm not a coach but injuries seemed to have played a large part. Imagine what the offense would have looked like with Stewart (Beason), Kalil (Edwards) and DeAngelo (Davis) all went down at the beginning of the season and replaced with Vaughn, Z. Williams and Goodson. Would Smith and Shockey and Olsen had the same amount of success? This is a team sport, success and failure comes from the unit together. Considering the situation I'm surprised they were dead last in defense.

Also, I thought some of our UDFA did amazing. Don't just count these guys out from competing and even winning starting positions and then playing at a high level. It's not about name recognition or draft status, it's about on the field play. And I agree with others, I liked what I saw out of Kearse in the last couple of games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt, defense, dline, ron edwards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com