Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Hornets Rebrand

193 posts in this topic

Posted

What these brain damaged BJ-blowers don't seem to comprehend is that despite how horrible of an owner Shinn was, he didn't name the team after himself so that we are obligated to recall how horrible of an owner he was everytime someone says our name. The first team here was named the Hornets, not the Shinncats. If we were named the Bobcats and our first owner who named the team was named Steve Johnson, no one would be asking for a name change.

Is there any evidence at all that Bob named the team after himself or is this one of those local rumors like "Jake Delhomme is banging Jerry Richardson's daughter, that's why he's the quarterback?" I always thought it was tied in with the Panthers. FWIW, I liked the Cougars name better.

Posted

Its a myth started by racist whites to create distrust towards him. It implies the stereotype that the wealthy black man is egotistical, self absorbed. Its worked like a charm on these primitive hicks. They ignore the Bobcat headshot and act like its Bob Johnsons face. Much like they are so delusional to ignore the Hornets are in New Orleans.

Heres another "we voted against the arena and he built it anyway!"

Again implying a defiance and ego that is very good at riling up local whites who were looking for reasons to not accept Bob ( much like Cam early on). Now that the arena is seen as a success you never hear this one anymore, we wouldnt wantBob tied to something successful.

Posted

Its a myth started by racist whites to create distrust towards him. It implies the stereotype that the wealthy black man is egotistical, self absorbed. Its worked like a charm on these primitive hicks. They ignore the Bobcat headshot and act like its Bob Johnsons face. Much like they are so delusional to ignore the Hornets are in New Orleans.

Heres another "we voted against the arena and he built it anyway!"

Again implying a defiance and ego that is very good at riling up local whites who were looking for reasons to not accept Bob ( much like Cam early on). Now that the arena is seen as a success you never hear this one anymore, we wouldnt wantBob tied to something successful.

The arena isn't seen as a success.

It didn't accomplish any of its goals.

It was supposed to spur development around that area of town. It didn't. A hotel was built, that's all. The rest of the area is still surrounded by parking lots.

It was supposed to bring people downtown...it does for a few games a season when the Lakers or Heat are in town, but the Bobcats pathetic performance isn't bringing anywhere near what was expected. The retail built into the exterior of the arena has been a flop.

Now all of that is not the fault of the Bobcats or the arena and are much more likely tied to the collapse of the real estate market and the economy in general, but the arena is in no way seen as a success by the masses. I'm glad it was built and still support the fact that it was built, but lets not pretend that things have gone exactly as planned.

Posted

Without the TWC arena you don't lure events like CIAA, ACC, NCAA and the DNC that bring and will bring millions to the city. There's also no need for an epicentre. Charlotte relying on Bojangles Arena to host all its events would be a failure in 2012.

Posted

I think I'm more for this movement just to see what KT's move will be after it happens. You sure are an interesting man KT, He's like a conspiracy theorist but solely with race.

Kt you have to admit the argument that the reason we want the hornets name back isn't because bobcats is just a horrible name for a highschool let alone a "professional" sports team; It's because the entire white community is conspiring against rich black people, is just ridiculous.

I'd actually like to know what happened to you that made you feel this way about white people. It'd be an interesting story. If it's just because you have lived in a "backwoods redneck" area, why haven't you moved?

Posted

If you hate the logo and team so much, why not just pull for another? If you love the Hornets so much why not just pull for New Orleans? Why is that concept so difficult to grasp? When the Bobs turn this thing around what are you guys gonna do?

Posted

The arena isn't seen as a success.

It didn't accomplish any of its goals.

It was supposed to spur development around that area of town. It didn't. A hotel was built, that's all. The rest of the area is still surrounded by parking lots.

It was supposed to bring people downtown...it does for a few games a season when the Lakers or Heat are in town, but the Bobcats pathetic performance isn't bringing anywhere near what was expected. The retail built into the exterior of the arena has been a flop.

Now all of that is not the fault of the Bobcats or the arena and are much more likely tied to the collapse of the real estate market and the economy in general, but the arena is in no way seen as a success by the masses. I'm glad it was built and still support the fact that it was built, but lets not pretend that things have gone exactly as planned.

When you have a vision of the future it is not uncommon to find yourself ahead of the point where an vision becomes viable. I believe TWC is a good example of this. Bad team, bad economy. Once those two issues are addressed, retail space in downtown will begin to fill with retailers and TWC will get its share.

Posted

Jgibs in 2012 I cant believe there are people whos hate for wealthy blacks is so strong they whine for 8 years and try to gentrify their business. I cant believe the lack of respect blacks contributions to our community are given. Its mind boggling a city that sees itself as progressive and intends to host the DNC and our black prez this fall still embraces this redneck stuff. I cant believe George Shinn gets more loyalty than MICHAEL JORDAN in this city. Its hilarious. If the Bobcats get the #1 pick tonite, it will put a huge dent in your movement. You guys will have to spin it into a negative and convince folks not to buy Davis Bobcat jerseys. Good luck with your charity event, do a lot more of those and you'll catch up to the Bobcats who have done those in our community since 2004. Will catch the buzz donate millions to the local YMCAs as well?

We don't hate black people KT....just overtly racist black people like you.

Your rants used to be comical. Yet now, they are just sad and pathetic. You see everything that happens in life as a great conspiracy against you and other African American people. Yet, you fail to grasp that you are TRULY the ONLY person here who cares about the color of a prrson's skin. Your blind hatred won't allow you to see or u d'état and you are exactly what you proclaim to hate...a flaming racist.

Good day.

Posted

No I cheer for the bobcats because they are in charlotte. Why is that so hard to grasp? I wish our team was called the Charlotte Hornets but if not its fine.

Posted

If you hate the logo and team so much, why not just pull for another? If you love the Hornets so much why not just pull for New Orleans? Why is that concept so difficult to grasp? When the Bobs turn this thing around what are you guys gonna do?

Because I root for teams for reasons other than just their colors and logo. That is why i root for the Bobcats, yet would like to see the Hornets brand return to keep the franchise from leaving in the next 5 years.

Posted

I wonder if KT will pull for the team when they're called the Seattle Supersonics in 4 years

Posted

I wonder if KT will pull for the team when they're called the Seattle Supersonics in 4 years

only if they have a prominent black person in charge.