#16 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

I think the most interesting camp battle will be which defensive tackles Ron keeps on the 53 man roster

That's tough to say. How many DT's were on the roster last year? Or a better question, how many did they carry each game? Like what, 5? Or 6?

Edwards, Neblett, McClain, Fua, Shirley, Kearse, who else? I know I'm forgetting someone...

#17 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Beginning of the year they usually only had 3...McClain fua and neblett....then it was McClain fua and kearse...then it was kearse Shirley neblett and nwagbuo. He usually only had three active for most of the year.

#18 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Kearse was a rookie just like McClain and Fua. I think he has a higher ceiling than them and I hope we doesn't get blocked from playing time because of them. I honestly hope Kearse starts day one. I'd line him up next to Edwards, and have McClain, and Neblettt on the bench. I hate to leave Shirley off because he is awesome. Fua I don't see getting much action. I can't see having more than 4 active each game. Maybe only 3. Alexander, CJ, Hardy, Applewhite and maybe some other guys will play inside some.

#19 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

Kearse was a rookie just like McClain and Fua. I think he has a higher ceiling than them and I hope we doesn't get blocked from playing time because of them. I honestly hope Kearse starts day one. I'd line him up next to Edwards, and have McClain, and Neblettt on the bench. I hate to leave Shirley off because he is awesome. Fua I don't see getting much action. I can't see having more than 4 active each game. Maybe only 3. Alexander, CJ, Hardy, Applewhite and maybe some other guys will play inside some.

My biggest fear is kearse Shirley and neblett getting blocked of a roster spot/playing time just based on the investment made in McClain and fua( both being third round picks)

#20 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,831 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

My biggest fear is kearse Shirley and neblett getting blocked of a roster spot/playing time just based on the investment made in McClain and fua( both being third round picks)

I agree. I would hope they are prepared to cut ties when the time comes if they don't pan out.

#21 TheOracle

TheOracle

Know-It-All

• HUDDLER
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

Top three best DT on out team. Ahead if Fua and McClain

Shirley (6'5, 345) was better than McClain and Fua late in the season, last year.

#22 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

mine and yours both. Love what I saw out of Kearse and Shirley. Our run defense is near inpenatrable with those 2. And that was without Beason and Kuechly behind them. I really want to see them get a lot of playing team and become dominant. I like Neblett as well. Definitely more than I like Mcclain. But it was only 1 year for both Mcclain and Fua and they didn't get OTA's. We will see how they are in camp and the preseason, but I would hope our coaches are smart enough to put the best players on the field when the games matter.

#23 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,600 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

i dont think Rivera will block talent because they were drafted low or udfa because of whats invested in the position. i really do believe the bpa will be on the field. to me tho, the last DT spot is between Shirley and Neblett because i see them both as UT. Shirley is big but he is more of a disruptor and penetrator, and i really could see Kearse starting next year as our NT.

#24 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Top three best DT on out team. Ahead if Fua and McClain

Not even the same position.

Kearse is a nose tackle and I do like him better than Fua. McClain is an under tackle, completely different position.

#25 Dingo_ate_Babies

Dingo_ate_Babies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Based on last season, Fua should be the oddman out.

#26 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

mine and yours both. Love what I saw out of Kearse and Shirley. Our run defense is near inpenatrable with those 2. And that was without Beason and Kuechly behind them. I really want to see them get a lot of playing team and become dominant. I like Neblett as well. Definitely more than I like Mcclain. But it was only 1 year for both Mcclain and Fua and they didn't get OTA's. We will see how they are in camp and the preseason, but I would hope our coaches are smart enough to put the best players on the field when the games matter.

The games they played we gave up 107 yards per game rushing. How is that near impenetrable? If it weren't for playing the Bucs it would have been much worse.

#27 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

The games they played we gave up 107 yards per game rushing. How is that near impenetrable? If it weren't for playing the Bucs it would have been much worse.

because I said so and I never, ever talk out of my ass about anything. :rolleyes:

#28 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

I honestly don't know much about Shirley, Kearse, or Neblett. I just know that they are big and fat and put up good stats in limited time. And this year they will have Keuchly and Beason behind them. they have to be better than McClain and Fua.

#29 Dash Global

Dash Global

• HUDDLER
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Most of the run yards came off the edge due to poor run D from the LB's and DE's.

But, I would be effing pissed if Kearse or Shirley get cut!

#30 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Being thrown into the fire as a third round pick, applicable to both McClain and Fua, is a tall task for anyone at any position. I don't believe people realize how complex the positions on the defensive line are to master and thereby diminish players for not being successful right away. Charles Johnson, our best lineman, was questionable at best coming out. Greg Hardy was inconsistent and lost at times before putting in a fairly solid year last season.

I'm not sure anybody could reasonably expect for what we saw last season to be the best that all these players get. The players with the highest physical ceiling and that work the hardest will be the best players from this group.

I don't think we should annoint anybody our future savior at the position until we see how much they have improved, or regressed, at the start of next season. The position is the most wide open on the team right now. It's great to have a hand full of options to choose from, but do not sleep on Fua in particular. I think he has the skills required to take the position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com