Photo
- - - - -

Offensive Line Projections

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#46 KillerKat

KillerKat

GTFO Shula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

That's what I had too

LT: Jordan Gross - Lee Ziemba
LG: Amini Silatolua
C: Ryan Kalil - Mike Pollak
RG: Geoff Hangartner - Garry Williams
RT: Jeff Otah - Byron Bell

#47 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

Love having Hangman as a backup. Not so much as a starter.

Looking at the prospects currently on roster though, I'm not sure there's an appreciably better option.

(maybe Bell plays better inside than he did at tackle)

I have re-watched the first 6 games over and paid a lot of attention to o-line play and think you and others are wrong about Hangartner. Our biggest weaknesses were def. Bell and Wharton. Wharton was not horrible but average at best and and if Silatolu pans out we will see major improvement. Assuming Silatolu picks up the playbook and Otah improves his pass blocking then o-ine will be very good next year.

Side note: its sickening to see just how close we were to a winning season last year. The AZ game def. should have been a win but inexperience or something caused us to whiff in coverage on 2 of their wide open TD's and the Peterson td return was a result of horrid special teams coverage.

The bears game was another we let slip through the cracks. We put up 543 total yards vs. their 317. And a huge chunk of their yards came off Forte runs where we missed multiple tackles at the 2nd level. Shockey missed his man and allowed a Mare kick to get blocked, then Mare whiffed on another (granted it was a 52 yard attempt). Then of course we got Hesterized to boot.

Then the first New Orleans game sucked too. We spotted them 10 points and very easily could have pulled that one out too. (worst part of that one was calling the timeout at the end of the first half to allow them to kick the field goal).

#48 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

I have re-watched the first 6 games over and paid a lot of attention to o-line play and think you and others are wrong about Hangartner. Our biggest weaknesses were def. Bell and Wharton. Wharton was not horrible but average at best and and if Silatolu pans out we will see major improvement. Assuming Silatolu picks up the playbook and Otah improves his pass blocking then o-ine will be very good next year.

Side note: its sickening to see just how close we were to a winning season last year. The AZ game def. should have been a win but inexperience or something caused us to whiff in coverage on 2 of their wide open TD's and the Peterson td return was a result of horrid special teams coverage.

The bears game was another we let slip through the cracks. We put up 543 total yards vs. their 317. And a huge chunk of their yards came off Forte runs where we missed multiple tackles at the 2nd level. Shockey missed his man and allowed a Mare kick to get blocked, then Mare whiffed on another (granted it was a 52 yard attempt). Then of course we got Hesterized to boot.

Then the first New Orleans game sucked too. We spotted them 10 points and very easily could have pulled that one out too. (worst part of that one was calling the timeout at the end of the first half to allow them to kick the field goal).

I don't think Hangartner's awful. I just don't think he's great, either. Would much prefer him as a backup/rotation player.

In the past, he was always a better pass blocker than run blocker (rarely got any push). His run blocking looked somewhat better as the season went on last year, but still not good enough that I want him as the full time RG.

Of course, I have no say in that decision.

#49 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Really? He wasn't very goos? You don't say?

Run blocking is actually his strong suite and he is pretty damn good at it, look up some OL metrics before you post you will look like less of a fool.

Lol ok man...I watched bell...didn't see him move anybody off the line. Stop being so condescending dude

#50 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Anytime you brings in lots of competition, the position will be upgraded because even if an incumbent stays as the starter, he will have had to step up his game to win the position. So you get improved play and in the case of an injury you have a replacement readily available. Win/win for everyone.

#51 SuperMan

SuperMan

I'm always holding back.

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Lol ok man...I watched bell...didn't see him move anybody off the line. Stop being so condescending dude

Right I suppose you watch coaches footage? and that you watched every single snap? Didn't think so, go check the profootballfocus.com offensive line metrics. Also you don't have to move someone off the line to be a good run blocker.

I watched a good deal of his play as well, he is an above average run blocker its pass protection that he is awful at, he is better suited at G were he will not need to block speed rushers.

#52 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I wouldn't re-sign Otah even if he does have a breakout year. Once he gets paid he's going to pull the same poo he has the past two years.

If Otah has a breakout year I see us putting the franchise tag on him- that should give us another good year out of him as even if he wants to walk the following year, he will have something to prove to other teams

#53 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, if Otah has a great and healthy year it could come back to bite us. Hurney will want to give him a big extension and if his injury issues pop up again after this year we'd have wasted quite a bit of cap space on him.

I'd rather see what Bell has to offer, see if Campbell can play, or long-term draft our future LT to play RT until Gross retires.

#54 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Right I suppose you watch coaches footage? and that you watched every single snap? Didn't think so, go check the profootballfocus.com offensive line metrics. Also you don't have to move someone off the line to be a good run blocker.

I watched a good deal of his play as well, he is an above average run blocker its pass protection that he is awful at, he is better suited at G were he will not need to block speed rushers.

I don't like referencing that site because I like to form my own opinions of players...but they just prove my point anyways. They said bell was horrible in every phase of the game and our worst o-lineman by a longshot

#55 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Otah will get a hang nail and be out for the season this year. Im assuming Bell would be his replacement.

#56 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

If Otah has a breakout year I see us putting the franchise tag on him- that should give us another good year out of him as even if he wants to walk the following year, he will have something to prove to other teams

No way he gets franchised imo. The tag for OTs is probably close to $10 million. It would be insane to do that.

#57 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

No way he gets franchised imo. The tag for OTs is probably close to $10 million. It would be insane to do that.

Maybe not.

If he has a great season, but you want one more year to ensure that the injury is truly past him, investing $10M for that might be wiser than either of the following options:

1. Letting him walk and being a best elsewhere.
2. Signing him to a long-term contract and him not being fully recovered.

Not saying I love the idea, but it could be a real possibility....and actually a smart move.

Would be an interesting scenario.

#58 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

Maybe not.

If he has a great season, but you want one more year to ensure that the injury is truly past him, investing $10M for that might be wiser than either of the following options:

1. Letting him walk and being a best elsewhere.
2. Signing him to a long-term contract and him not being fully recovered.

Not saying I love the idea, but it could be a real possibility....and actually a smart move.

Would be an interesting scenario.

Could also put the transitional tag on him and still get good competition for him if he was picked up by another team.

#59 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

HUDDLER

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

I can see Otah having a probowl season. 3 main reasons.
1. Hopefully the years off to heal has sparked his desire to play the game
2. It is a contract determining year
3. Real competition at his position

#60 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

HUDDLER

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

I hope Ziemba doesn't get cut.