18 replies to this topic

#1 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration joined a federal judge Wednesday in urging Congress to end a racial disparity by equalizing prison sentences for dealing and using crack versus powdered cocaine.

"Jails are loaded with people who look like me," U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton, an African-American, told a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing.

Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer said the administration believes Congress' goal "should be to completely eliminate the disparity" between the two forms of cocaine. "A growing number of citizens view it as fundamentally unfair," Breuer testified.

It takes 100 times more powdered cocaine than crack cocaine to trigger the same harsh mandatory minimum sentences.

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat who chairs the subcommittee, said, "Under current law, mere possession of five grams of crack — the weight of five packets of sweetener — carries the same sentence as distribution of half a kilogram of powder or 500 packets of sweetener."

Durbin said more than 81 percent of those convicted for crack offenses in 2007 were African-American, although only about 25 percent of crack cocaine users are African Americans.

Congress enacted the disparity during an epidemic of crack cocaine in the 1980s, but the senator said lawmakers erred in assuming that violence would be greater among those using crack

Breuer said the best way to deal with violence is to severely punish anyone who commits a violent offense, regardless of the drug involved.

"This administration believes our criminal laws should be tough, smart, fair," Breuer said, but also should "promote public trust and confidence in the criminal justice system."

Walton said, "We were mistaken" to enact the disparity. "There's no greater violence in cases before me."

The Obama administration is also seeking to increase drug treatment, as well as rehabilitation programs for felons after they're released from prison.

while neither should be illegal to the degree they are, this law has needed to be changed since they made it.

it should go without saying who uses crack verses powdered cocaine, and who benefits from the old law and who suffers. i can't even imagine anyone opposing this.

#2 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Do it. Good move.

Coke/crackhead...no difference.

#3 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

while neither should be illegal to the degree they are, this law has needed to be changed since they made it.

it should go without saying who uses crack verses powdered cocaine, and who benefits from the old law and who suffers. i can't even imagine anyone opposing this.

you underestimate teh power of teh huddle....

#4 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

If they equalize by moving the coke standard up to the crack standard jails will be even more full. I think they should do it vice versa.

#5 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

Gitmo is soon to have open cells.

#6 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Coke is way better than crack.

#7 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

They both should be VERY Illegal.

They should get equal time but they should be right up there with possession of weaponized anthrax or a neutron bomb when it comes to sentencing.

Possession of any quantity of either should be mandatory jail time.

I love power. I cant go to a party where there is some and not get into it. Its the only thing I cant say no to.

#8 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

They both should be VERY Illegal.

They should get equal time but they should be right up there with possession of weaponized anthrax or a neutron bomb when it comes to sentencing.

lol whut?

#9 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Do it. Good move.

Coke/crackhead...no difference.

Legally perhaps. But physically, there is a lot of difference. I have been around enough of them to know.

However

Crackheads are not as bad as Meth addicts.

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 17,716 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Legally perhaps. But physically, there is a lot of difference. I have been around enough of them to know.

However

Crackheads are not as bad as Meth addicts.

All losers

#11 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Yep. Allowed a friend of mine to stay at my place while I was at camp one year. His wife had just kicked him out and he needed a break and I gave him one. He wouldn't answer his phone one Sunday and on a hunch I drove home to check it out. He had barricaded the door and was smoking crack in my bathroom.

Crackheads are bad, bad news. It's like once that urge hits they will do anything for that quick high.

#12 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

All losers

If you are without sin, then I am sure you can find some nice sized rocks to throw.

#13 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 15,637 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Wait.

Cocaine is ILLEGAL??

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,942 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

Yep. Allowed a friend of mine to stay at my place while I was at camp one year. His wife had just kicked him out and he needed a break and I gave him one. He wouldn't answer his phone one Sunday and on a hunch I drove home to check it out. He had barricaded the door and was smoking crack in my bathroom.

Crackheads are bad, bad news. It's like once that urge hits they will do anything for that quick high.

A friend who had a problem with it told me that the crack gave a much more intense rush and that it was easier to get addicted to. Fortunately, he was able to eventually overcome and lead a decent life, but it took him a while.

#15 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

aren't bankers in enough trouble? Leave em alone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.