• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#61 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Best in the NFCS, top 5 in NFC and top 10 in the NFL.

Umm, no.

Look, I love Smith. But he definitely isn't a top ten player in the NFL right now. Not even close. Top five wide receiver, though.

#62 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,544 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Top 5 WR's in NFL

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Andre Johnson
4. Steve Smith (CAR)
5. Wes Welker
6. Mike Wallace
7. Reggie Wayne
8. Brandon Marshall
9. AJ Green

A couple changes and additions for my ball park rankings.

#63 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,544 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

Umm, no.

Look, I love Smith. But he definitely isn't a top ten player in the NFL right now. Not even close. Top five wide receiver, though.

I bet Roman Harper would disagree.

#64 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,078 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Is he a hall of famer right now?

You know he isn't. There's many deserving wrs who have been waiting forever to get in.

He will definitely increase his case these last years with Cam Newton though. So long as the coaching staff can get us to the playoffs consistently and possibly another superbowl.

#65 iampantherman

iampantherman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Steve is one of the all time greats who fell victim to bad coaching and quarterbacking. He would be first ballot hall of fame if he played with a pro bowl qb his entire career.

So much of life comes down to circumstances outside of your direct control. Imagine if he had Montana throwing him the ball. Imagine if John "run, run, pass, punt" Fox wasn't his head coach for the bulk of his career. Imagine if I had ambition equal to my intelligence, lol. :P

He's a great receiver, and success cannot ever be truly measured via statistics alone. Stats can never tell the totality of the story like some think they can.

#66 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I bet Roman Harper would disagree.

What does that have to do with anything? Whether he disagrees or not, it is irrelevant; you're being a homer if you think Smith is a top ten player in the NFL right now.

#67 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

• HUDDLER
  • 17,544 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

What does that have to do with anything? Whether he disagrees or not, it is irrelevant; you're being a homer if you think Smith is a top ten player in the NFL right now.

Top 10 WR, I should have been more specific given the thread title.

However, yes, I'm a homer.

#68 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yet still had 3 great years in a row. Then put up 1,000 for 2 years with shitty QBs in Miami. One of those years being his top 3. Smith couldn't do that and one of Marshall's QBs was the same one that was throwing to Smith...

eh? with Moore throwing to Smith in 2009 and 2010 Smitty was 40 receptions, 654 yards, 5 TDs in Moore's 7 starts. In 30 games in 2010 and 2011 (with the "shitty Qbs in Miami" including Moore) Marshall had 167 receptions, 2228 yards, 9 TDs. Let's take a closer look at Marshall with just Moore.

Moore started 12 games for the Fins last year, and in those games Marshall was 59 receptions for 900 yards and 5 TDs. Marshall averaged 5 catches per game just about, 75 yards, and a bit under half a TD per game (.4). Smitty, over the 7 games Moore started in Carolina over the last two years, averaged 5.7 catches, 93 yards, and .71 TDs per game. If you were to expand that production out to 12 games, you'd have better stats than what Marshall had.

Marshall is a great receiver, but I don't know if he is better than Smitty or not. Certainly comparing his production in Miami with Moore to Smitty's in Carolina with Moore does not support that. However, there are many more factors that must be considered, including differences in offenses, other receiving targets, etc. Just saying, I don't think that saying "Marshall posted back to back 1k yard seasons, he is clearly better!" is a sound argument. Moore was by no means a great quarterback, but he knows how to get his stars the ball... better than Clausen at least.

edit: left out the NO game from Smitty's numbers since Moore got taken out so early in that game with injury, but obviously that would lower his stats considerably.

#69 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

He's basically Santana Moss with slighty, SLIGHTY better numbers career wise and has had better quarterbacks. He also has a huge "short man" complex and a pretty good sucker punch.

#70 vorbis

vorbis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

if you clench any harder you'll get hemorrhoids.

#71 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,135 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

the fact that steve smith in his mud thirties is in the conversation with the league's elite in the prime of their careers says more than a couple of single-year stat sheets

#72 The Special One

The Special One

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

I am the best, motherfu.......rs!!

Posted Image

#73 nickzz

nickzz

o

• HUDDLER
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

He's basically Santana Moss but immensely more talented

agreed

#74 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,078 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Bwahahahahahaha grits, you sad sad man..

#75 pOpCoRnPoPpEr

pOpCoRnPoPpEr

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • LocationPrison

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

maybe i should have posted the numbers. Some need a picture drawn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.