Photo
- - - - -

Fsu Bot To Big Xii: Look At Us!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

The chair seems to have a beef with the new TV deal

http://floridastate....asp?CID=1364755

#2 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think I saw they are in the red as an athletic dept. If that's the case might as well take the extra money from big 12. Lots of smoke around clemson too

#3 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Really, FSU is openly begging for the Big 12? They must be pretty desperate to consider such an unimpressive move. Maybe if their football team was actually good they could work their way into the SEC or the Big 10+

#4 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Really, FSU is openly begging for the Big 12?  They must be pretty desperate to consider such an unimpressive move.  Maybe if their football team was actually good they could work their way into the SEC or the Big 10+

I guess it depends what you consider unimpressive but the rumor going around was that if the big 12 could get fsu/clemson they payout would likely be close to 30 million per team. That compared to the 17 million in the acc I don't think that's so unimpressive. As for the why they don't go to the sec the rumor on that was that they would not have the votes to get in thanks to the supposed handshake between south carolina, georgia, and florida. And if these moves happen the big 12>big 10

#5 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

The reality was bad, however. The initial bump in television revenue is actually just over $1 million a year, sources said, and a total in the $12 million range next season. The deal is back loaded so the bigger money comes in escalator provisions that, considering how broadcast rights keep growing, probably will be below market by the time any sizeable gains are realized.
That additional $4 million per school, per year? That won't come until 2021, nine years in, sources said.

http://sports.yahoo....oin-big-12.html

#6 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I guess it depends what you consider unimpressive but the rumor going around was that if the big 12 could get fsu/clemson they payout would likely be close to 30 million per team. That compared to the 17 million in the acc I don't think that's so unimpressive. As for the why they don't go to the sec the rumor on that was that they would not have the votes to get in thanks to the supposed handshake between south carolina, georgia, and florida. And if these moves happen the big 12>big 10

You think adding Clemson and FSU would equal a 50% increase in the Big 12's deal? Please, the SEC doesnt get that much and they actually have good teams. But then again, FSU has managed to make one Peach Bowl appearance in the last 6 years, so clearly they are a force to be reckoned with.

Thats not to say FSU couldnt make more money in the big 12 (they would), but I have a hard time taking it seriously as an elite football conference after Nebraska and Missouri just left

#7 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

You think adding Clemson and FSU would equal a 50% increase in the Big 12's deal? Please, the SEC doesnt get that much and they actually have good teams.  But then again, FSU has managed to make one Peach Bowl appearance in the last 6 years, so clearly they are a force to be reckoned with.

Thats not to say FSU couldnt make more money in the big 12 (they would), but I have a hard time taking it seriously as an elite football conference after Nebraska and Missouri just left

I didn't come up with that number myself. Just what's been mentioned. Also, that 21 million does not include the tier 3 rights. Unlike the acc the big 12 kept it's tier 3 rights separate. I'm not an expert by any means but once you factor that in I don't think it's far fetched. Now that Wetzel dropped the bomb that the acc doesn't even get that full deal for another 9 years I have no doubt this will be quite a bump in pay. I know I mentioned clemson because they're most commonly linked with fsu but that article and many others now suggest it could be miami and honestly if any combinations of those happen I could see others jumping ship.

#8 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

Eh, if they want to go thats fine, I just feel its a desperate move from the timing. They are selling low, so to speak, trying to force a move in the middle of their worse run since Bowden started running the show. The FSU brand is certainly far less appealing than it was 10 years ago

I also find it funny that they complain about the ACC's Carolina-centric moves while trying to push a move to a conference that at this point could probably change its name to 'Texas and friends'

Oh, and if the Big 12 is really that much better than the ACC in football, then I hope FSU is ready for some 6 and 7 win seasons

#9 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Eh, if they want to go thats fine, I just feel its a desperate move from the timing. They are selling low, so to speak, trying to force a move in the middle of their worse run since Bowden started running the show. The FSU brand is certainly far less appealing than it was 10 years ago

I also find it funny that they complain about the ACC's Carolina-centric moves while trying to push a move to a conference that at this point could probably change its name to 'Texas and friends'

Oh, and if the Big 12 is really that much better than the ACC in football, then I hope FSU is ready for some 6 and 7 win seasons

Haha couldn't agree more. I think every conference has their teams or connections who kinda run the show. The acc is apparently the carolinas connection. The big east loved its basketball only schools referred to as the rhode island boys. Then of course the big 12 has texas which runs the show. FSU could avoid those mediocre seasons if they get enough teams to split divisions though. I mean there's a good chance then that they wouldn't even have to face a texas or oklahoma unless they reached the big 12 championship game. Although, that would all depend on how they structured divisions as well as cross conference rival game. Will def be interesting to see how it plays out. I saw the fsu ad has already tried to throw water on the situation

#10 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

"Florida State University regrets that misinformation about the provisions of the ACC contract has unnecessarily renewed the controversy and speculation about University's athletic conference alignment. Florida State respects the views of the Chair of its Board of Trustees that, of course, any university would examine options that would impact university academics, athletics or finances. At the same time, Florida State is not seeking an alternative to the ACC nor are we considering alternatives. Our current commitments remain strong."

Read more: http://www.newsheral...l#ixzz1uifjQJny

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

Florida State and anyone else who leaves has to pay a 20-25 million exit fee. Thats quite a bit for a school that had a shortfall in its academic budget. Here is an email sent out by the University president.

3. Much is being made of the extra $2.9M that the Big 12 contract (which hasn’t been inked yet) gets over the ACC contract. Given that the Texas schools are expected to play each other (the Big 12 is at least as Texas centered than the ACC is North Carolina centered), the most likely scenario has FSU playing Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and West Virginia on a recurring basis and the other teams sporadically (and one more unnamed team has to join to allow the Big 12 to regain a championship game), we realize that our sports teams will travel by bus for even fewer games - one estimate is that the travel by plane required by FSU to be in the Big 12 may exceed the $2.9M difference in the contract - actually giving us fewer dollars than we have now to be competitive with the Big 12 teams, who obviously do not have to travel as far. Any renegotiated amount depends not just on FSU but the caliber of any other new team to the Big 12.

4. Few believe that the above teams will fill our stadium with fans of these teams and so our lack of sales and ticket revenue would continue.

5. We would lose the rivalry with University of Miami that does fill our stadium.

6. It will cost between $20M and $25M to leave the ACC - we have no idea where that money would come from. It would have to come from the Boosters which currently are unable to support our current University athletic budget, hence the 2% cut in that budget.

7. The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker - and in fact, many of them resent the fact that a 2% ($2.4M) deficit in the athletics budget receives so much attention from concerned Seminoles, but the loss of 25% of the academic budget (105M) gets none when it is the most critical concern of this University in terms of its successful future.
I present these issues to you so that you realize that this is not so simple (not to mention that negotiations aren’t even taking place). One of the few wise comments made in the blogosphere is that no one negotiates their future in the media. We can’t afford to have conference affiliation be governed by emotion - it has to be based on a careful assessment of athletics, finances and academics. I assure you that every aspect of conference affiliation will be looked at by this institution, but it must be a reasoned decision

FSU isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

And think about the expense of a school like Clemson. Currently, Clemson athletes can take a bus to about half of the schools it plays. Join the big 12 with FSU, and they are looking at a dramatic increase in travel expenses. The big12 payout is going to have to increase dramatically to offset that plus the exit fee.

FSU fans want them to leave because they think it will mean the school will do better in football. Maybe, but there is also a good chance that they will do worse in a football conference that is more geared towards football. And what happens if Texas and Oklahoma decide to leave in a few years?

#12 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Exit fee wont matter much in the long run. I see FSU and Clemson leaving along with Maryland. The Big XII needs to get to 14 and these 3 teams are on the list. With the signing of the new Bowl series with the SEC it makes the Big XII a bigger player in football. ACC made their decision to be a basketball conference when they picked up Syracuse and Pitt. Now they will pay for it.

#13 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Buyouts won't keep them from leaving. I'm sure they'll get assistance from big 12. No way they pass up the opportunity. Sounding more and more like the acc is about to turn into big east 2.0. Hope they enjoy Pitt and Syracuse. My guess is they bolt rather soon too. I look for them to be playing a big 12 schedule in 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.