• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#91 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Its a small fanbase relative to another team within the state.

I think if the SEC could get a team in North Carolina, they would want UNC. Ain't gonna happen, but it sure would be funny to hear the howls coming out of Clemson and FSU if it did. :)

The SEC knows it would never get UNC. UNC would never leave the ACC because the ACC does what UNC wants. UNC runs the ACC.

NC State would leave though. It would give the SEC millions more television sets. It doesn't matter if most people in the state would or wouldn't watch. Distribution is all that matters.

If they can get into NC, the SEC can then launch their proposed SEC network in NC. Since cable providers pay to carry a channel, the SEC makes money regardless of if people are watching NC State play or not.

#92 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

The SEC knows it would never get UNC. UNC would never leave the ACC because the ACC does what UNC wants. UNC runs the ACC.

NC State would leave though. It would give the SEC millions more television sets. It doesn't matter if most people in the state would or wouldn't watch. Distribution is all that matters.

If they can get into NC, the SEC can then launch their proposed SEC network in NC. Since cable providers pay to carry a channel, the SEC makes money regardless of if people are watching NC State play or not.

If NC State was an established fan base, I'd agree. Right now, NC State's games would only be televised locally. No one wants to watch a mediocre or worse team like NC State play against SEC competition.

North Carolina also has so many residents from other states, which include Virginia and South Carolina. If they were to go after one of (or both of) those teams, they'd also get a draw from NC viewers. Most of NC is not a fan of NC State and will not tune in to watch them get destroyed by SEC competition. They just wont.

#93 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

ESPN been talking and printing about FSU and Clemson to bigxii the past week.

#94 Kuech Da Sneak

Kuech Da Sneak

As long as we aren't 32.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Kharma Is Fixing To Bite The Acc In The Ass

Posted Image

I'd be afraid of that biting me anywhere.

#95 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,313 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

ESPN been talking and printing about FSU and Clemson to bigxii the past week.

Its the sports off season, and they have little else to talk about. If it was August, there would be barely a mention of it.

#96 PantherMan89

PantherMan89

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

I have heard the same rumor that the big 12 would be paying for travel expenses but not sure if it's true or not. One poster mentioned why not Miami over Clemson. The rumor going around is that Miami could be left dangling for a while because they're about to get the hammer dropped on them by the NCAA. This will also make it tough for them to return to that national prominence you're referring to

#97 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Staties should calm down. NC State doesn't have an established enough fan base to go to the Big XII or the SEC.

Arguing for the sake of arguing is pointless and more so in this case. Tom O'Brien isn't a big time football program coach, so he'd sink fast in the SEC/Big XII along with the entire program. The SEC and Big XII aren't dumb enough to take a flier on a school that doesn't even have the #2 fan base in it's own state.

#98 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Tom O'Brien isn't a big time football program coach, so he'd sink fast in the SEC/Big XII along with the entire program. The SEC and Big XII aren't dumb enough to take a flier on a school that doesn't even have the #2 fan base in it's own state.

Agree w/ both of these points. IMHO, and I've had lengthy discussions with my good friends who are state alum, O'Brien should of been fired after last season. He's been there long enough now where he is playing w/ his own recruits and that whole Russell Wilson debacle was just plain embarrassing. State could of won the ACC last year with him and instead took 2 steps back.

I'll be honest about this too, the only reason TOB wasn't fired was because of the Carolina game last year. Withers should of kept his mouth shut instead of giving State bulletin board material. But TOB has Carolina's number in FB and that's all state fans really care about.

#99 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

http://www.forbes.co...s-are-numbered/

#100 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

#101 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,093 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Pretty much a rehash of other stories already published.

There may ultimately be some movement between conferences but the Big XII is a big risk. FSU and Clemson would be outside looking in when it came to deciding B12 conference issues. That may be somewhat true in the ACC but it will definately be true in the B12. Missouri just severed a 100 year relationship with Kansas to get the hell out of the B12. That conference has been unstable for years and so was its predecessor the SWC.

As more information comes out about the SEC contract negotiations and greater clarification on tier 3 rights, differences in team income may not be as big a factor as we were once led to believe. B12 estimates may also be overblown.

Since I have yet to hear any tangible information from ACC school officials, this may largely be B12 wishful thinking and sour grapes from BE homers hoping to stir the pot and exact revenge on the ACC by circulating what amounts to little more than BS from one misinformed big mouth out of FSU, who was later contradicted by his boss.

#102 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Just read a report saying the SEC will distribute $20.1mil to member schools.

#103 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,151 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I hate change

#104 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,200 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

lol at the sec wanting clemson

#105 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Anybody else think there is a college football bubble right now? Its more popular than it has ever been and it is generating absurd amounts of money, but what if say 10 years from now it loses some of its popularity- how much sense does it make having Boise State play in the same conference as Rutgers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.