• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#106 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

Anybody else think there is a college football bubble right now? Its more popular than it has ever been and it is generating absurd amounts of money, but what if say 10 years from now it loses some of its popularity- how much sense does it make having Boise State play in the same conference as Rutgers?

As long as the NFL remains popular, NCAA football will be able to ride on its coat tails.

Not to mention the implementation of a playoff system will bring a new element to college football that will keep fans intrigued. I fully expect the playoff system, once implemented, to be modified until it approaches something similar to the NFL.

#107 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Andy Haggard (the guy that started all these FSU rumors) might not be chairman much longer.

This may be Andy Haggard’s last week as chairman of Florida State University’s board of trustees.
The board is scheduled to elect a chair and vice-chair during its meeting Friday at the Ringling Museum in Sarasota.

Haggard, who has led the board since March 2010 when he moved up from vice-chair following Jim Smith’s departure from the board, could run for a second term – or he could nominate someone else or simply open the floor to nominations.
Haggard said he hasn’t decided what he will do on Friday and declined to comment beyond that. He has supervised over every board meeting since Eric Barron became FSU’s president in February 2010.

Wonder if he is feeling the pressure of starting a shitstorm based on faulty information?

#108 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

I, for one, wish the SEC had not even moved to 14 teams. I don't want two more.
If it does happen, I really don't see NCSU leaving the ACC. The Raleigh market would be good for the SEC, but I don't really see the Pack making that move.

#109 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Andy Haggard (the guy that started all these FSU rumors) might not be chairman much longer.

Wonder if he is feeling the pressure of starting a shitstorm based on faulty information?

Heard on the radio that he will step down today. Guess he was feeling some heat for his comments.

#110 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I still ultimately think you'll see 4 major conferences (PAC-12, Big 10, Big XII, SEC) with a huge step down in football competitiveness to the Big East and ACC.

#111 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

lol @ the Pac 12

USC Oregon then lolz

#112 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

I still ultimately think you'll see 4 major conferences (PAC-12, Big 10, Big XII, SEC) with a huge step down in football competitiveness to the Big East and ACC.

Perhaps for now, but things change on a regular basis in college football. If Miami and FSU get back to where they were a few years ago, then the ACC is easily as good as the Big 12 (or ten or whatever they are right now) with Oklahoma and Texas being the big dogs.

#113 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,494 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

FSU budget now in the black.

If you think Florida State is moving from the ACC to the Big 12 sometime this summer, school president Eric Barron has a message for you: fat chance.

"We're not seeking anything. We're not expecting anything. There are no conversations going on (with the Big 12)," Barron said, reiterating comments he has made at other points during a conference realignment drama that has taken on several twists and turns that he argues have been out of his control.

"There are a lot of reasons why conference issues are in the news," Barron added. "More money is one of them. Another one, quite frankly, is sort of a feeding frenzy over this particular topic. It gets a lot of people's attention, and they have a lot of opinions."

There was no mention of the Big 12 during Friday's meeting.

On Friday, FSU athletics director Randy Spetman announced to the board of trustees, that his department on June 1 received approximately $1.6 million more from the ACC than it had anticipated. Early projections from the conference were that member schools would receive about $14 million per year. It now appears that due to fixes to end-of-fiscal-year budgets, the conference may be paying the schools up to $17 million per year.

"I would say it's significant," Spetman said about how the additional money will help his programs.

When asked if there was reason for reporters and fans to continue watching the Big 12 drama play out through the middle of August, Barron said simply: "No."

FSU isn't going anywhere.

#114 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. Once they figure out the playoff system we will see some moving

#115 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,935 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Any national playoff scenario that is exclusionary enough to encourage further realignment of the conferences will compel the US Congress to step in.

Kentucky and West Virginia Reps were prepared to interfere with realignment last year, no reason to believe other politicians won't feel equally concerned about their state universities.

#116 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Actually Kentucky Reps tried to step in and WVU Reps told them to back off.

#117 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,004 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

The hoops axis known as tobacco road is too strong to be blown up. The ACC hedged their bets with Pitt and Cuse for HOOPS revenue. If those schools go to a bowl then thats icing on the cake.

John Swofford is a baboon.

#118 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

First domino to fall. Guess that 50 million buyout doesnt have teeth to back it with. ACC will probably pick up Uconn for Maryland spot. But I will be curious to see what the SEC and Big XII does next.

#119 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Meh... I don't think there will be much movement... With ND partially in the ACC I don't see any other ACC team, leaving, also they get an automatic bid to the new Bowl series.... SEC will stand still because there is nothing intriguing out there....

UConn will more than likely replace Maryland... Big east will add more garbage teams, which does not matter since they lost their automatical bowl bnid and have to share it with like 3 other mid major divisions.

#120 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I knew this would give squirrel some good fapping material

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com