Photo
- - - - -

Can someone explain this to me.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 hdevonxz

hdevonxz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

"Rich people don't deserved to be taxed more becasue they worked hard for their money"

-Working class Joe

I heard someone saying this today, and do people really think that if they work hard at that factory their entire life they'll one day become rich like a Lindsey Lohan?

And I also heard:

"Having rich people pay more taxes encourages people to be lazy"

Seriously? Yeah I'm going to work as a waiter my entire life to avoid the burden of paying more taxes.

There were some other talk exchanged, but this is what I recall the most. I just don't understand the logic behind these statements, especially coming from a person who isn't rich, or close to it.

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,332 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

Lohan = typical rich person?

#3 hdevonxz

hdevonxz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

Lohan = typical rich person?

It was a hyperbole

One that supported my example of how typically wealthy people are born into money, rather than actually coming from nothing to being rich.

#4 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

It was a hyperbole

One that supported my example of how typically wealthy people are born into money, rather than actually coming from nothing to being rich.

Is that actually true? According to the first source I came up with from google its not.

http://www.nytimes.c...illionaire.html

"Most of America's millionaires are first-generation rich."

"Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth."

#5 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Yes it is true that inherited wealth does not make up a large part of this country's wealthy.

#6 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,610 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Everyone should be taxed equally.

#7 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Yes it is true that inherited wealth does not make up a large part of this country's wealthy.

The myth caries on though, that rich people either inherited their money or just "won life's lottery".

#8 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

Everyone should be taxed equally.

Define equally.

As a percentage of income?

Flat tax? Fair tax?

My wife thinks since we are all supposed to be equal in this country we should all pay the same tax. Most liberals will disagree as they need more money to fund social programs to really make things "fair".

I don't really know. I just know I hate writing a check 4 times a year, no matter which party is doing the spending, since I can't stand them all.

#9 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Flat tax. No loopholes. No credits for getting married or having kids. No social engineering. Both sides get something.

#10 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Agree...flat tax. Nothing more.

When the government feeds a covetous attitude to people who earn less than some other people...and shows through its taxation policies...I find that bad/evil/stupid.

Quit worrying about what other people make. What better way of doing that than through a flat tax system. Waahh...Joe bought a $300,000 car the other day. So what. He'll paid a flat tax on that vehicle. Progressive tax systems get support from people that are simply envious of those that have more then they do. THAT's how you have opinions concerning "taxing the rich" more is unethical.

And as far as inheritance vs. self-made...it's not your place to f**king judge. IMHO...if someone's father WANTED to earn enough money to ensure that his kids never had to lift another finger again...it's his right. Quit being busy-body little whiny bitches and complaining about what other people have. Want it all equal? North Korea is for you.l

#11 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I think my big problem with over-taxation of the rich is what gives the government (who didn't earn one cent of that fortune) the right to waste it.

#12 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

You're not going to find many "working class joes" that are excited about the government taking ANY money.

I can't imagine historically any other entity that wastes as much money as the US govt does.

#13 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,662 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Wife had to get passport today...3 post offices later...one gov worker tried to turn her away for a NON-vital record birth certificate. Wife was smart enough to tell her how to do her job and point to the raised seal on the document.

Yeah...government...the epitome of efficiency.

#14 hdevonxz

hdevonxz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

You're not going to find many "working class joes" that are excited about the government taking ANY money.

Yeah, that's what I don't get. This dude was so concerned about taxing the rich, when he has no chance of being rich.

Kinda like the whole Joe sixpack dilemma.

#15 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

I think my big problem with over-taxation of the rich is what gives the government (who didn't earn one cent of that fortune) the right to waste it.

The other problem with over taxing the upper class is that all to often these members of society dictate the costs of goods and services. To spare the economics lesson, we end up paying the upperclass's tax increase.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com