Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KissMyConverse

Alex Smith Had Some Choice Words About Mr. Newton.

300 posts in this topic

Pssssst... He kinda has a point

Kinda, yes.

But slagging off a guy like Newton, who in his rookie season proved he can lead an NFL offense in such a convincing manner is true asshattery and douchebaggery.

And while I won't commit to this point of view, the argument could convincingly be made that SF was so successful last year in spite of Alex Smith.

Winning > than outstanding statistics. But one does have to keep his wits about him.

Kinda, yes.

But slagging off a guy like Newton, who in his rookie season proved he can lead an NFL offense in such a convincing manner is true asshattery and douchebaggery.

And while I won't commit to this point of view, the argument could convincingly be made that SF was so successful last year in spite of Alex Smith.

Winning > than outstanding statistics. But one does have to keep his wits about him.

As much as people want to say that it isn't true. Winning in spite would mean Smith was actually hurting the team, his low number of turnovers say he wasn't. He did what was asked of him, moved them down the field to at least get a field goal and avoid turning the ball over. You can argue they were winning without a ton of help from Smith, but they weren't winning in spite of him.

Someone drafted Dwill and Stew in their fantasy league... :)

that argument is even less convincing than the argument that Cam's stats didn't mean a thing... You may argue that Smith did not contribute *much*, but winning in spite of him implies something very different.

Pssssst... He kinda has a point

No he doesnt.

Football is a team sport. Alex had 13 wins because of a great defense.

Cam didnt have 13 wins because the Panthers wasnt as good as the 49ers.

If Smith had the talent that Cam has, the 49ers would have went to the Superbowl, and if Carolina had Alex Smith as our QB, then we would have only won 1 or 2 games with the injuries we had.

He had a good point, but he used an awful example because his rationale for using us was flawed. Because of that, his quote has lost its meaning, basically.

He is right that raw yardage totals mean nothing at all, but he was incorrect that Cam's passing yards were due exclusively to us airing it out in garbage time.

Yahoo's Shutdown Corner pretty much "fatalities" Alex Smith in regards to this little drama.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/

• Topics

• And to think this guy made it through 7 rounds and not one team wanted him.  Thank God Gettleman was on his "A" game and signed him here. Amazing how talent can bypass so many scouts, coaches and GMs. If they did a redraft.   What round would he go to?  Round 1?  He's a solid of a Guard as any in this league.
    • you do realize that $1M pledge he made was after he had received a ton of backlash and outcry from the media for sitting during the national anthem? He did hold his promise and has made some other donations as well, but before he decided to sit at football games, he didn't do jack poo for oppressed communities and the homeless, or any other charities for that matter. He was just a narcissist prima dona who so happened to play for one of the most talented teams in the NFL headed by one of the greatest coaches in the NFL. Him prospering early on in his career made him a cocky SOB who dressed like a thug during press conferences and treated the media like dog poo.  Yes people change, but he changed for the wrong reasons. His career was in turmoil, he was a declining NFL QB trying to stay relevant, so he thought up a rouge to get back in the spotlight by sitting. After he received backlash, he thought to himself "oh crap, I need to back up my words with some action. let me make a few donations to show the world I truly care about what I stand for"  the dude could give a rats ass about any of that poo. He didn't even show up to vote, and I don't think he's ever voted in his life. And I don't care about voting for the president, but at least vote for your local officials and congressman and for your states propositions. If he truly wants to have a voice and use the stage he has to inflict some serious changes in this country, there's a way to go about it, not seek attention for the wrong reasons just to resurrect your career.  
    • I love Moton. The only thing that freaks me out about him is that he played for a small school. I do think he could've flourished for a big time program though.