Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Don't Businesses Hire Veterans

47 posts in this topic

Posted

My cousin recently got honorably discharged after 8 years in the army and for the past 6 months has been struggling to find work. What is it with businesses not wanting to hire proven veterans that have the ability to lead and work hard. Now i already know how big of an issue this is Nationally but it just makes no damn since to me.

Posted

i think everyone has been struggling to find work, not just veterans.

2 people like this

Posted

being able to lead and work hard isn't enough anymore. For anyone. Not just vets.

Posted

being able to lead and work hard isn't enough anymore. For anyone. Not just vets.

this

Posted

Because if Im going to bring someone into the office environment that may one day go postal I want to make sure they don't have years of training on how to kill me.

Posted

it's all about who you blow..not what you know

1 person likes this

Posted

Why do people assume vets make great leaders? I'm not talking about your cousin necessarily because I don't know what his rank or position in the armed forces was, but generally most in the military are order takers, not order givers. If I'm hiring, I want a free thinker and someone that can do things on their own. I don't want someone I have to constantly give orders to.

I'm also probably a bit biased against vets because the only people that I personally know that went into the military were C- students.

Posted

it's all about who you blow..not what you know

yep...it's not the paper "application" that sells you to a potential employer.

Posted

Probably because there are more qualified persons for the job. The same reason my dad told my brother not to get too caught up in what his college professors preach to him. If 3 people apply for a job & one has a college degree, one is a 10 year military vet, & one has 20 years experience in that particular job field who do you think is gonna get the job?

Posted

There are programs available to help Vets and there are a lot of companies willing to give them a bit of an edge because they served. I belong to a couple of Vet groups and they are always looking out. Irv, PM me your FB account and I can help point you in the right direction.

Posted

Because if Im going to bring someone into the office environment that may one day go postal I want to make sure they don't have years of training on how to kill me.

Well learn how to treat people

Posted

Why do people assume vets make great leaders? I'm not talking about your cousin necessarily because I don't know what his rank or position in the armed forces was, but generally most in the military are order takers, not order givers. If I'm hiring, I want a free thinker and someone that can do things on their own. I don't want someone I have to constantly give orders to.

I'm also probably a bit biased against vets because the only people that I personally know that went into the military were C- students.

like the president?

2 people like this