• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarhead

Does Everyone Really Believe We Are Good At Dt?

I am going to go ahead and trust Rivera's experience in coaching the DL over anyone on this board.

I'll say yes.

I think we are good. Two sophomores with an offseason to grow and learn, Edwards will hopefully provide some veteran experience and eat space, and a vote of confidence from a defensive minded head coach. If a player became available who could contribute, of course I would hope we would be interested, but anyone who thinks that shows a lack of confidence must not believe in the importance of depth.

I won't say that I feel good about it but I will say that because of our LB I feel a little more comfortable about it and that drafting a top LB, to me, was a greater need than drafting a another DT that may not pan out. I don't believe that you give up on a draft pick after 1 season, I do believe that you get competition at that position if you doubt that draft picks ability to improve. I wanted us to target two key positions first: CB and LB, in that order. Although I'm not dissapointed that we got a LB first, but we skipped CB. I wanted Janoris Jenkins. Anyway, better LB play should hide some of the miscues by DT's. A lot of the rushing yardage that we gave up was to the outside and not up the middle, between the DT's. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Kris Jenkins or his clone collasping the pocket but until we can get that, we've got to build around it.

Well be fine there...McFua should be better, Edwards should protect the linebackers..and neblett and kearse were very solid at the end of the year. It'll be DT by committee this year

It wasn't a DT by commitee last year? With the same people?

Yes, and 3 of them were rookies, along with a 2nd year UDFA. It is not unreasonable to expect improvement.

No one expects All Pro play from them, just improvement

Yes it was DT by committee last year, but this year, we got 2 all-pro LB back from injury, Keuchly, whatever Alexander brings, improved CB play (hopefully Hogan) and improved safety play (with Smith and Nakamura) to help out the DTs... oh and our best DT back from injury.

Rivera only really activated McClain and fua at the beginning of the year...the third DT barely played whether it was fields or neblett. Late in the year there was more of an active rotation

After going back and rewatching the games I'm more worried about CB than DT. Fun actually started to get it but McClain could be better.

Fua actually had a really strong game in the first meeting against new Orleans who has a pretty good interior o-line...constantly eating up blockers and even shedding them and making a few tackles. McClain was having a strong game against Jacksonville before the rain started

I really like Neblett, and think he'll play a pretty big role. I also notice people always mentioning him as a UT, but believe it or not, he played more at the NT spot last year.