Photo
- - - - -

Pelosi: Utterly Contemptible -Krauthammer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#31 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Why would we need to drop another bomb to show Russia and China what we could do? That doesn't even make sense accidentally.

Russia, not China. Mao hadn't destroyed the Nationalists yet and no one really yet knew that the Red Army had basically sat out much of the big fighting with imperial japan.

and again, no one knew what Hiroshima was. early japanese reports indicate that high command just thought that someone had bombed the communication link with the city.

#32 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

http://www.doug-long.com/letter.htm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You were saying? Are you saying these weren't dropped?

#33 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

[img]
You were saying? Are you saying these weren't dropped?

i was responding specifically about hiroshima.

#34 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Why would we need to drop another bomb to show Russia and China what we could do? That doesn't even make sense accidentally.

To show that this wasn't a one off thing. We can do this over and over and over.

I suggest you go look at a time line of events. Pay attention to:

- When the Russians entered the war
- The number of days between Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- The number of days between Nagasaki and surrender

#35 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

And remember folks: preventing fertilized eggs from attaching to the womb of the wall is MURDER but vaporizing little kids is fckin cool!

#36 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

while historians like Meat and g5jamz might have looked at the documentary record and come to the conclusion that the Japanese would never have surrendered until we either A. killed 200,000 women and children or B. lost over a million american lives, that comes into direct conflict with the beliefs of leading miltiary advisors of the time, like general dwight d eisenhower, Admiral Leahy, War Secretary Stimson, and SOS Joseph C Grew. Also an April 30, 1946 study by the War Department's Military Intelligence Division which concluded, "The war would almost certainly have terminated when Russia entered the war against Japan."

however, it is important to listen to all opinions, especially of those of respected posters g5jamz and meat.

#37 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

i was responding specifically about hiroshima.

Wouldn't be a surprise then. A generic warning was given...cities named. See the picture with the bombers. Get those symbols translated and see if one has Hiroshima on it. "cities destroyed". That's a warning.

Post Hiroshima...warnings were issued again. Specific city would never have been divulged.

#38 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,503 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

And remember folks: preventing fertilized eggs from attaching to the womb of the wall is MURDER but vaporizing little kids is fckin cool!

strawman...Delhommey likes them open mouths

#39 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,046 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

also it's practically impossible to have an intelligent discussion about the pacific theatre (or any part for that matter) of ww2 specifically for the reasons I noted in a thread i made on the topic; most people that would use anything as justification for what we do today do not know anything about how it ended.

americans learn a completely ridiculous, red blooded, jingoistic, heroic version of what happened that basically centers on France, Germany, and Japan, while completely ignoring everything the Russians were doing.

like for example this picture is generally considered by non americans the real reason that japan surrendered.

Posted Image

however none of you arguing that nukes ended the war know what it is so there's no real use discussing it.

#40 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:31 PM

Methinks Fiz and Delhommey are just trying to get a rise out of us, G. Surely they are aware of the ass-kicking Russia took from Germany.

Why would America drop its second bomb just to show its dick to Russia?

You guys are ignoring the obvious here....America needed Japan to buckle. Truman didn't want to lose 100,000 troops doing that, so he made them buckle with technology instead.

Edited by Meat, 01 May 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#41 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Um, in the end Russia kicked Germany's ass.

You really don't know history at all. You need to read up on this stuff.

#42 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

How many Russians died in WWII, D?

#43 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,309 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Well guys, I actually do have some study of this subject under my belt.

First things first: Mass B-29 firebombings killed a hell of a lot more people than the 2 A Bombs did. The only difference is that it only takes one plane instead of 500 to do it - which at that point in the war, really made no difference, as our losses were very low per sortie, and the Japanese could not mount anything resembling an effective defense.

Second: It did take a number of days before the Japanese understood that it was a different kind of weapon launched against them at Hiroshima. The more CONSERVATIVE members of the Japanese government refused to believe it.

Third: The Russians did not declare war against the Japanese until they knew that we had launched an atomic attack and the Japanese would not even put up token resistance against them. At that point it became a land grab by the Soviets. It does seem that the second atomic attack was meant to both pummel the Japanese into submission, as well as warn the Soviets from trying anything stupid.

#44 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Well guys, I actually do have some study of this subject under my belt.

First things first: Mass B-29 firebombings killed a hell of a lot more people than the 2 A Bombs did. The only difference is that it only takes one plane instead of 500 to do it - which at that point in the war, really made no difference, as our losses were very low per sortie, and the Japanese could not mount anything resembling an effective defense.

Second: It did take a number of days before the Japanese understood that it was a different kind of weapon launched against them at Hiroshima. The more CONSERVATIVE members of the Japanese government refused to believe it.

Third: The Russians did not declare war against the Japanese until they knew that we had launched an atomic attack and the Japanese would not even put up token resistance against them. At that point it became a land grab by the Soviets. It does seem that the second atomic attack was meant to both pummel the Japanese into submission, as well as warn the Soviets from trying anything stupid.

Okay, but I still maintain that the primary purpose was to win the war at hand. Fair enough?

#45 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:55 PM

Okay, but I still maintain that the primary purpose was to win the war at hand. Fair enough?

And part of that war was to keep the Russian's at bay, both in Europe and Asia.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com