#1 ChefAdam

ChefAdam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWilson, NC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Little back story, I had a job, liked the job but the hours and pay were not good. So i started looking for a part time job to supplement the first. Talked to the boss, he was OK and understood. I found a full time job that didn't affect the first one. Let the boss know, and at the end of the pay week, i was let go.

So now i have this full time job, good pay, chance to advance, but its a 45 min drive there and a 45 min drive back. I have been looking for a part time job now to offset the cost in gas. Have a couple of interviews in the coming days.

So here is what i am worried about...Do i let my full time job know that I will probably be taking a part time job? Or not say anything? The hours would not affect my full time jobs current availability, as i was going to work both before i was fired from the first.....

What say Ye?

in before tl;dr

#2 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hell no. None of their business.

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 34,008 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

As long as you are reporting to work on time, what business is it of theirs if you have another job?

#4 MCP

MCP

Peace, Love, Uke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

As long as it does not impact your full time job in any way, what you do on your own time is your business.

#5 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Or NDAs and conflicts of interest.

#6 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

Since your nick is ChefAdam would it be a horrible assumption to think your working in the service industry?

#7 ChefAdam

ChefAdam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWilson, NC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Or NDAs and conflicts of interest.

Dont think it would be a conflict of interest....my full time job is a country club....my PT prospects are all like bar and grills.....I know if asked by someone about the club i am not supposed to say anything about members or employees......but other than that, i dont see anything that would be a problem

#8 ChefAdam

ChefAdam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationWilson, NC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Since your nick is ChefAdam would it be a horrible assumption to think your working in the service industry?

Yeh, i work in the restaurant industry.......

#9 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,517 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

No I would not tell the full time employer anything about it. My only concern would be what happens if my full time job ask me to stay late, work additional hours etc... that interfere with my part time job. So I would let the part time job know.

#10 Inimicus

Inimicus

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yeh, i work in the restaurant industry.......

Tough question then.

When I was running restaurants the cardinal sin was getting a job in another restaurant. I didn't want any staff in my place seen by my patron in another place. I felt like it reflected very poorly on my restaurant. Couple that with the fact that there is so little loyalty in that industry and it was the one thing (after stealing) I would shitcan someone on the spot for. I was very clear about it up front so I wasn't being a complete asshole about it but I didn't tolerate it.

Id vote for not telling your new boss.

#11 Inimicus

Inimicus

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

No I would not tell the full time employer anything about it. My only concern would be what happens if my full time job ask me to stay late, work additional hours etc... that interfere with my part time job. So I would let the part time job know.

^^^
And definitely this

#12 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,292 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Check the company policy. Where I work (for the state) I have to have permission to take a 2nd job, of any kind.

If not a policy, then none of their business...as long as not a conflict of interest and it in no way interferes with you being able to do job #1..

#13 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Its a need to know basis.. Do they need to know? Not until you have scheduling conflict.. What you do outside of your paid time is your business, some people have a family, some get part-time jobs, some get hookers & blow, it is what it is...

#14 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,737 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

I wouldn't say a word.

It's 45 minutes away.

Would not do it in the same town though.

#15 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

This is the advice you should follow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com