Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headline Tag: J-Stew Wants to Remain a Panther

95 posts in this topic

Posted

It was not a no win. Peppers said many times he wanted out, Hurney wouldn't listen, Pep then started sabotaging the process. Hurney got played.

P.S. It is not Hurney's job to worry about what the fans think, his job is to field a championship level football team.

peppers sabotaged the process the moment he went public with it dude. that was also the last year of his contract and a trade wasn't going to happen unless he was franchised. yes it's true in retrospect that perhaps letting him walk in the first place or rescinding the tag after he refused to sign would have been the better idea but it sure as poo didn't look like the smart thing then.

there's no confirmed story about what was going on prior to peppers going public about it after the 2009 playoffs. we can assume stuff based on the contract he turned down after the 2007 season but none of the "connected" people even were talking about it that way then.

Posted

If Stewart wants to stay AND Hurney wants him here they will pay the man...we are talking about Marty Hurney. The guy has no problem paying for players that he wants to stick around. I wouldn't be surprised if we took the newly aquired cap space (7.5 million?) and tried to get a deal done soon.

Posted

Man that dwill deal happened last season, get over it. I was mad about it too, but it didn't change poo. Besides we needed him. We have stew this season atleast, which is why i feel we need to make it count.

The defense is a far bigger concern than our backfield.

Posted

Didn't CJ make something crazy like $34MM this year? That has to be front loaded money.

Posted

Didn't CJ make something crazy like $34MM this year? That has to be front loaded money.

yep $34 million or thereabout. most of that is signing bonus. it sounds like a huge number but his cap hit for 2012 is supposed to be like $10 million.

Posted

I love Stewart. But, if this team commits that much cap space in the RB position, it will be a HUGE long term mistake.

Posted

I love Stewart. But, if this team commits that much cap space in the RB position, it will be a HUGE long term mistake.

not if it's working.

Posted

Why are people worrying about this now?

Posted

How would letting otah go not help?

How would it? Are you talking about Cap space? If so, he's due to earn like a Million if that. Are you talking about Position? Otah hasn't played his position in two years. Hasn't hurt Stewarts numbers at all. He's still behind D-will.

Not sure I understand your question.

Do you want to let Otah go, or not? :huh:

I really don't see how this ties in with Stewart other than he's a Linemen and a team mate.

Posted

Why are people worrying about this now?

this and the chud thing....i don't know. i guess you have to worry about something. you ain't living if you ain't worrying i suppose.
1 person likes this

Posted

With a full season, and maybe even playoffs, ahead of us, we'll no better late in the season how important it is for the team to keep J-Stew around. Running backs are injury magnets and having two, maybe three, stud ones on the roster is a luxury most teams never have.

That being said, it may come down to if J-Stew wants to stay. He could be the feature back on any other team in the NFL. No doubt about it. He could make big bucks on the open market. And when he did, he could find himself being run into a very short career as the carries and hits pile up. Here, he has a number of advantages: a) he's paired up with a great friend and there's no apparent jealousy over carriers, B) he doesn't have to carry the full load -- a back only has so many carries in their career and having a good split like this will extend his career an extra two to three years down the road... and long-term money is sometimes better than short term, c) sad to say, but he's only one bad hit to a knee from being the 1 st stringer, d) he seems to be one of the more humble star talents in the league and he may relish sharing the national spotlight and prefer being a beloved star in a small market, d) they will find a way to pay him and pay him well, e) I think he believes that he's on a team that could get him that Super Bowl ring -- a big payday from a lower tier team like Cleveland or Jacksonville will never have that promise, and e) what he has here he won't find elsewhere in this short career game --- security.

1 person likes this

Posted

Runningbacks are a dime a dozen in the NFL these days. Every single team in the NFL seems to have at least one back that can get the job done when needed. I really hope that we keep him but it won't be that big of a blow if we don't.