Photo
- - - - -

Headline Tag: J-Stew Wants to Remain a Panther

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#51 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith Huddle: Est 2003

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

That is comparable to the hometown discount line....NFL players don't do that. Just like you wouldn't take a pay cut at your job

restructuring doesn't necessarily imply that they're taking a pay cut. a portion of their base salary could just be converted to a signing bonus or something. that's what jordan gross did i think.

#52 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

Why wouldn't Stew want to remain here? His career will be extended by not being forced to carry the bulk of the load, not to mention the great chemistry that he's built with D. Will. Hopefully D. Will will renegoiate his contract to keep Stew on the team.

#53 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

HUDDLER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

Sign him. I love to see Dwill, Stew, and Tolbert for many years.

#54 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Didn't CJ make something crazy like $34MM this year? That has to be front loaded money.

But most of that is signing bonus, which counts equally for each year of the contract. Without looking up his deal, I expect he is carrying a slightly lower salary the first couple of years of the deal to lessen the cap hit, so it is actually slightly back-loaded. DWill's deal was done the same way if I remember correctly.

Let's say CJ's bonus was $24 million (just pulling that number out of the air for comparison purposes). JR could have paid $10 million this year in bonus, another $10 million next year in guaranteed bonus, and the final $4 million in year 3, also guaranteed. From a cap standpoint, it is exactly the same as paying the $24 million all in year 1. JR just did it all at once either because CJ wanted it that way, or maybe for other business reasons, i.e. tax liability, expected capital outlays, etc.

#55 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

I want them all.

Keeping a positive thought...if they believe in Rivera and possible Super Bowls...they have an opportunity to have longer careers than average with less body damage. And hopefully some rings.

Maybe not a record as an individual but records as a backfield.

Get it done Hurney.

#56 Lt Pinkerton

Lt Pinkerton

Walker

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Also it's important to note that due to the new CBA and the larger amount of money going to the players, the salary cap will be substantially higher in the next few seasons, and D-Will's contract was front-loaded. They planned to keep them both from the very beginning.

#57 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

Also it's important to note that due to the new CBA and the larger amount of money going to the players, the salary cap will be substantially higher in the next few seasons, and D-Will's contract was front-loaded. They planned to keep them both from the very beginning.

The cap is not expected to rise substantially this year. There will probably be an increase of maybe 8% to 10% in 2014.

DWill's contract was not front-loaded.

#58 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

Ivan..

My question was about otahs salary. If letting him go opened up space for stew. I would like to see otah healthy. Maybe we could get a draft pick for em??

#59 jtm

jtm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

Love Stewy but money needs to be spent elsewhere. It's just business.

#60 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

He wants to be back... that's the most important part, the rest is just details.

I was thinking he might want to leave for a chance to be "the guy" somewhere else, so this is great news!