Photo
- - - - -

Any runners on here? I'm in need of some help.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 CCS

CCS

Glutton for heart break and punishment

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

Lately I've been waking up early to go jogging and at first I had no problems. But now every time I go I'll get about a quarter of a mile in before my lower legs tighten up and start hurting so bad that I can't run any longer. I've figured out that the pain is coming from one specific area on both legs it's about 3/4 if the way down my legs and about 5 inches up my ankle and on both legs the muscles get very hard, round, and protrude while I'm working out.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to stop this pain while I run? I've already done a lot of google searched to no avail.

#2 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Usually related to proper foot wear. What shoes are you using?

#3 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,077 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Lately I've been waking up early to go jogging and at first I had no problems. But now every time I go I'll get about a quarter of a mile in before my lower legs tighten up and start hurting so bad that I can't run any longer. I've figured out that the pain is coming from one specific area on both legs it's about 3/4 if the way down my legs and about 5 inches up my ankle and on both legs the muscles get very hard, round, and protrude while I'm working out.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to stop this pain while I run? I've already done a lot of google searched to no avail.

Might want to get that checked out. Could be shin splints. It is where the muscle pulls aways from the shin....and it hurts like hell.

I had them before.

#4 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

Very common ailment for new runners or for experienced runners who start increasing mileage too quickly.

If the pain is located on the "inside" of your calf/shin, its medial tibialis stress syndrome. If the pain is on the outside of your calf, it is known as anterior tibilias stress syndrome. All are fancy words for what used to be called "shin splints".

Besides proper footwear, proper stretching is key to prevent this. What happens as you start running is the muscles on the back part of your calf start to get stronger and they basically overpower the muscles on the front of your calf. Since the back muscles are stronger they tend to pull upwards during your stride, which makes your toes point downward. The muscles on the front of the calf are too weak to overcome this and they are basically strained each time your foot lands.

check out this page for further explanation and some really good stretches. I can't tell you how important proper stretching is. Don't forget your hamstrings too.

http://www.foothealt...SplintExerc.htm

Like Zod said footwear is very important. Might want to go to a proper running store and have them evaluate your stride and make recommendations on what type of shoe is best for you.

#5 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,077 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

Might want to go to a proper running store and have them evaluate your stride and make recommendations on what type of shoe is best for you.

I always thought those running stores and this type of "evaluation" was a money grabbing ploy. That is until I took my son and daughter there before cross country last year. My daughter was having some issues with pain (even though I had bought her a pretty nice pair of runnign shoes). They videotaped her stride while running and made some suggestions. It was a HUGE improvement for her.

Those guys know what they are doing and it is worth the extra price.

#6 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

I always thought those running stores and this type of "evaluation" was a money grabbing ploy. That is until I took my son and daughter there before cross country last year. My daughter was having some issues with pain (even though I had bought her a pretty nice pair of runnign shoes). They videotaped her stride while running and made some suggestions. It was a HUGE improvement for her.

Those guys know what they are doing and it is worth the extra price.

Yep, I go to Run For Your Life when I need new shoes, and the advice they give is worth it, even if I'm just getting a newer version of the same shoe.

#7 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

Resident Gator Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yea, there is no one shoe that is right for everyone. You have a lot of things to take into account. I'd go to a reputable local running store. Most of the time those guys have no agenda and will just help you find the right shoe.

I would also consider getting compression sleeves for your lower legs. A lot of people don't think much of them, but I think it really does help.

#8 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

also...look into running so you're not landing on your heels...rather you're landing mid foot/forefoot...really makes a difference and your shins don't take such a high amount of impact. You don't have to have minimalist shoes..but I sure do love mine

#9 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

also...look into running so you're not landing on your heels...rather you're landing mid foot/forefoot...really makes a difference and your shins don't take such a high amount of impact. You don't have to have minimalist shoes..but I sure do love mine

You have those Merrels, right? How have you liked them so far? I"ve looked at the Nike Free, not sure I could go completely cushion-less like the Merrells tho.

#10 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

I love them!! It feels so much more natural to run..it's really amazing..I am still mainly in my Brooks ..but yes..My Merril's are great..if you're not landing on your heels..it doesn't hurt at all like you think it would. I changed up my stride months ago so I land midfoot even in my regular running shoes..to make the transition easier

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

serious question: do you stretch before you run? You need to stretch your achilles tendon before you rip it.

#12 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

I love them!! It feels so much more natural to run..it's really amazing..I am still mainly in my Brooks ..but yes..My Merril's are great..if you're not landing on your heels..it doesn't hurt at all like you think it would. I changed up my stride months ago so I land midfoot even in my regular running shoes..to make the transition easier

I try to land mid-foot but its still a work in progress. I do ok with it I guess, but on steep downhills I still notice I hit with the heel.

#13 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

I've read lately that the "experts" say you don't need to stretch before you run...that doing it after is more important....

but I definitely stretch before..I personally feel it warms everything up before the pounding I'm about to take :)

#14 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

also go to Omega sports or 4runners only- or any store that specializes in running shoes. You DO NOT need to necessarily buy the shoes there but have them test your gate to see if you are neutral, pronate, or supinate. This way you can identify the kind of running shoe you need. You can then buy them on the internet web.

Also develop a schedule- have a target mileage for each week and alternate how much you run each day so your body has time to recover- you SHOULD have at least one long run each week that accounts for about 15-20% of total weekly mileage.

So stretch (before and after runs), go get fitted for shoes, and develop a schedule.

#15 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

I've read lately that the "experts" say you don't need to stretch before you run...that doing it after is more important....

but I definitely stretch before..I personally feel it warms everything up before the pounding I'm about to take :)

Too easy. :P

That's what I've read too, to not stretch before, but I do the same thing. I just go very lightly, loosens things up. After the run is when I really do the serious stretching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.