Photo
- - - - -

Any runners on here? I'm in need of some help.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

I honestly don't know. I didn't even know stuff like that mattered lol

too long of a stride puts all your landing impact on your heels..in turn..shin splints and knee problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Nt4WgQed8

http://www.sideofsne...running-stride/

http://www.runnerswo...-8163-0,00.html

this may not work for you..but it worked for me. I have only run one good run in my minimalist shoes..it's definitely something you have to ease into..but I run this way in my normal sneakers just fine.

food for thought :)

#32 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm a high impact runner due to some stride issues. I land on my heel quite a bit and I can't really seem to shake it. And I will never perfect my stride because of some "balance" issues. However, I have never ran into so much pain that I could not run.

How long, how far, and how often are you running? Are you sprinting, or are you lightly jogging (barely over a walk)? Zod probably nailed one of the issues. You probably should rest your legs as well. It is possible they are just not used to all the stress. Also, do you run on concrete, pavement, dirt, gravel, grass, etc.?

All of these are pertinent questions and could be related to your issues.

#33 CarolinaKid704

CarolinaKid704

C***

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Trail Runner Nation on iTunes podcast is a great entertaining look into ultra running. Okay, so none of us are on that level but they mainly talk about the fundamentals of running and give some good advice. Theres been some good advice on here already but I would try riding a bike 10 miles or so before you start tearing your knees apart too. Maybe the first tailgate can go towards a toys for tots tricycle for you. It could just be a mental issue too, sometimes if your just getting into your run, you need to power through it. If you dont like the whole long distance thing....go to a gradual incline hill and sprint about 20 yards x amount of times. Do some body weight exercises. Eventually you'll get your legs back to shape. REST IS KEY.

#34 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:02 AM

Run up steep hills. It teaches you to land on the front of your foot while relaxing those muscles.

#35 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

too long of a stride puts all your landing impact on your heels..in turn..shin splints and knee problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Nt4WgQed8

http://www.sideofsne...running-stride/

http://www.runnerswo...-8163-0,00.html

this may not work for you..but it worked for me. I have only run one good run in my minimalist shoes..it's definitely something you have to ease into..but I run this way in my normal sneakers just fine.

food for thought :)

Sneakers? Where are you from, Rochester? :D

#36 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

:) You know...I did date a Yankee for 4 years a looooong loooooong time ago...guess he rubbed off on me in more ways than one.. RAWR!

#37 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

I've been stretching and I've tried 3 different pairs of shoes. I stretched for around 30 minutes this morning and it didn't really help at all. Do shin splints hurt all the time? Because my leg only really hurts while I'm running or walking immediately after the run.

Do you have any numbness in your foot?

I ask because I had almost exactly the same symptoms you describe but it included numbness in my toes if i tried to "push through it". I was told that it was just shin splints, everything I read suggested it was shin splints, and I would eventually train through it with good technique and good shoes.

Turns out I had a condition called Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome and had to have surgery to fix it. Its potentially limb and even life threatening if you try to just train through it. It creates a feedback loop of swelling in your leg that can cut off the blood flow and the nerves to your foot.

If your pain seems to take less exercise to "trigger" or if there is numbness, talk to your doctor. If for no other reason than to rule it out.

#38 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Funny that you would bring this up, as I was going to post a similar question.

Have any of you out there experienced pain in the arch of your foot while running?

Maybe it's a Lis Franc, not sure, but burns pretty bad and I have to stop running as soon as the pain appears.

Any ideas out there?

#39 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Plantar fasciatis? Try rolling a golf ball under your bare foot for about a minute, several times a day.

#40 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,975 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

I only run if I'm being chased by a hoard of wild mongrels... Or MPF doing that wild indian call.

#41 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

guess he rubbed off on me in more ways than one.. RAWR!

Oh wow, you're better at this wording game than most of the male perverts here. :P

#42 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,705 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

I just drank 6 beers at the Yard House in Denver then ran 5 blocks to pay parking then walked 4 blocks to Wahoos Fish Tacos for $2 Coors lights.

Champion

#43 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I only run if I'm being chased by a hoard of wild mongrels... Or MPF doing that wild indian call.

I'm sure its terrifying.

#44 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,985 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

ccs, people are like cars. if the alignment is off, other parts get run down faster or compensate more for things being off kilter.
just saying to check your balance and posture etc. if your hammy's are off, then quads have to compensate then hip flexor then you get my point.

stuff thats been mentioned like stretching or yoga as well as just making sure you are lined up well.

good luck

#45 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,700 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Plantar fasciatis? Try rolling a golf ball under your bare foot for about a minute, several times a day.

That's what I meant to type...not sure why lis franc came to mind.

Is this something that will get better with time, or is it always like this. I seem to have had it on and off for over 10 years, with many long pauses in running to help it get better.

No luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com