Photo
- - - - -

Sophmore Slump discussion.

Cam Newton Carolina Panthers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#11 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

The staff worked to give Cam the chance to succeed by giving him the comfort zone to perform in last year...he surpassed all of their expectations. Now they have full instillation time for the 2012 offense, and the benefit of seeing what he can handle. Cam ain't gotta prove jack...he simply has to work inside the system and get prepared. The staff has already proven that they can lay out a plan that he will thrive in.

I hope we can keep that staff/system together as long as possible because you are correct, sir.

#12 Gallagher

Gallagher

Never Doubt Davis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I think what anyone talking about a sophomore slump forgets is that he's CAM NEWTON. Dude is destined for greatness.

#13 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

Oh my god, Jamie Duke is one fuging idiot. To sell tickets? We only drafted Cam to sell tickets? and because he was from the south?
Posted Image

Chud and the coaching staff knew Cam was special, dispelled all the myths about his questioned work-ethic by the media and saw a guy who truly wanted to be great. And that he'd work hard to get their. I don't know if they knew how good Cam would be so quickly, but they knew he'd be good.

#14 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

HUDDLER

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

I think Cam wants it too badly and works too hard for a slump. He doesn't seem like the type of dude that will rest on his stats from the year before.

#15 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

In Richardson's interview with Charlie Rose, yes the one that caused a overreaction by the media JR telling Cam no piercings etc. Richardson said "You couldn't afford not to draft him his potential is so high, and even if he doesn't reach his full potential he would still be a good QB. So I view him as a low-risk pick" That was BEFORE the regular season started.

But Carolina didn't know what they were getting into. :rolleyes:

#16 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

HUDDLER

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I'm already in my sophmore slump. None of the freshman girls I was banging last year will return my calls. O_o

#17 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

HUDDLER

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

I think Cam needs to cut down on the interceptions. I dont think he needs to run for 14 touchdowns or throw for 4000+ to be successful or even great. I think he will be a pro bowl guy for years to come.

#18 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Oh my god, Jamie Duke is one fuging idiot. To sell tickets? We only drafted Cam to sell tickets? and because he was from the south?
Posted Image

Chud and the coaching staff knew Cam was special, dispelled all the myths about his questioned work-ethic by the media and saw a guy who truly wanted to be great. And that he'd work hard to get their. I don't know if they knew how good Cam would be so quickly, but they knew he'd be good.

I don't hink Duke's comment was meant that the only reason that we drafted Cam was to sell tickets. However, there is a bit of truth in what he said.

After the terrible season that the Panthers had with Clausen, there were a lot of people saying that the Panthers needed to do something to energize the fan base and put people in the seats. Because of this, they should take more of a risk and draft the athletic QB with tremendous upside. The safer pick would have been Dareus, etc....but the franchise needed more.

I do think that it did play into the Panthers decision on Cam.

#19 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

SUPPORTER

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

HUDDLER

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

I think the idea of a sophmore slump is a legitimate discussion, but seeing the work ethic and the determination Cam has, along with guys like Smitty and DWill that are surely pushing him, I don't think he'll have a slump.

From everything I've seen he's working harder this year than he did last year and plus he has the benefit of a full off season and more time to integrate and practice with the receivers and backs.. if anything he could have another record breaking year the likes of something that's never been seen before.