Photo
- - - - -

your 5th grader did NOT graduate!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#46 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. If the kids enjoy it, let them. Take into consideration that some of them could be going to different schools and such, who knows.

As far as facebook, you can filter anything, so I never understand the bitching.

#47 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

fug homework

#48 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

Speaking of which, I have some.

#49 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

If my biggest problem today is that someone post on facebook that their kid is graduating 5th grade, then I know I am having a pretty carefree day. :)

#50 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Truth. They are nasty.

you couldn't pay me to go back to being that age again..fug no..hell no..never ever ever!!!!

#51 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hey ass clown, my kid is autistic, so we take events like that seriously. As I am sure other parents that are there supporting there kids do as well. Fug you.....that is all and as far as if you are talking about my chap because of the thread I posted yesterday, call him a basterd to my face and see what happens.....guarantee you will find all you are looking for...bitch

I didn't see your post and I'm not talking about your kid at all. I was just commenting on the fact that I find it a bit silly that people were posting "graduation" pictures of their kid in a cap and gown for finishing 3rd grade.

As for the "bastid" remark that was completely tongue in cheek.

As some other posters have said, we live in a day where every kid gets an award at the end of year awards ceremony, every athlete gets a trophy...how about letting kids earn something. Let's raise the bar a bit.

To me graduation is sort of a rite of passage into adulthood. I just think it should be treated special and having graduation ceremonies for kindergarten, 1st grade, sixth grade, middle school, etc just cheapens it.

By the way, my high school graduation meant more to me (as a celebration/rite of passage) than either of my college graduations.

Just my two cents... take a chill pill folks. No offense meant.

#52 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

When I was a kid they used to tell us 60% of NC couldn't read above a 5th grade level. I wonder if that number was true and what it is now.

#53 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

I didn't see your post and I'm not talking about your kid at all. I was just commenting on the fact that I find it a bit silly that people were posting "graduation" pictures of their kid in a cap and gown for finishing 3rd grade.

As for the "bastid" remark that was completely tongue in cheek.

As some other posters have said, we live in a day where every kid gets an award at the end of year awards ceremony, every athlete gets a trophy...how about letting kids earn something. Let's raise the bar a bit.

To me graduation is sort of a rite of passage into adulthood. I just think it should be treated special and having graduation ceremonies for kindergarten, 1st grade, sixth grade, middle school, etc just cheapens it.

By the way, my high school graduation meant more to me (as a celebration/rite of passage) than either of my college graduations.

Just my two cents... take a chill pill folks. No offense meant.

Graduating is NOT a rite of passage. It IS something that kids work at all year. I would rather reward my kid for putting forth effort on academics than send the message that it does not matter. It is not like showing up for a game for 6 week-ends and then getting a trophy.

As for the Facebook posting, I agree with you. But then again I find about 99% of what people post on Facebook to be ridiculous.

#54 d-run

d-run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

She is in an IEP and has not met goals for a couple of years now. Majority of her problem is attitude and effort. She made 1s on her EOGs and during the retakes she made 3s. She had Fs in half her subjects until last week when she was allowed to turn in makeup work.

My point to the principal was that there are no second chances/makeup work in HS. She had to be prodded constantly by teachers to get her work done. Again, that doesn't happen in HS. She'd be destined for failure, or, alternatively, promoted with no real work to show for it. She's also the youngest in her class. If she was promoted this year she'd be 13 going into HS.

He agreed even though she "passed" all her classes. Waiting for district supervisor to give me the word.

Good on you for being so involved in your daughter's education. Most parents wouldn't even think of doing something like that and hopefully she takes advantage of her second opportunity. I do disagree that high school is any different though. She might not make great grades, but they would pass her on just like the middle school tried to do. The school system is just set up in a way that teachers get looked down on for failing a student. My wife's brother is a lot younger than us and a junior in high school. The kid can barely put together a legible sentence when writing and has passed all grades with no problems.

#55 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

Administrators

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm pretty sure this is my Dad's Bostonian doppelganger:

http://news.yahoo.co...-145709954.html

#56 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

But, if it's going to be more of the same, then what's the point. My problem would be with the teachers, which is the same as my son had when he was in middle school (and some in high school). The teachers let them get away with that. My son was/is very bright, and had a difficult time understanding that just because he "got it" (and aced his tests, exams, etc.) was no reason for him not to do his assignments in between ... the teachers would just let him catch it all up at the end of the 9 weeks or whatever. I argued that it wasn't teaching him "real world" experiences and that he needed to look at school like a job and his teachers like his bosses ... it doesn't necessarily matter that the task is easy or pointless, if the boss tells you to do it, then do it. That's how the real world works.

We need more parents like you!

#57 bigjohn

bigjohn

Block and Tackle

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

In case anyone cares (probably not) but it doesn't really bother me that much. I should have used some smilies or something throughout the post. And to me part of the fun of facebook is seeing some of the weird, dumb, crazy tor interesting things people post.

I still think it's funny and I'm all for giving celebrations after EOGs and the like. I just think the term "graduation" should be saved for, you know...graduations.

#58 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

In case anyone cares (probably not) but it doesn't really bother me that much. I should have used some smilies or something throughout the post. And to me part of the fun of facebook is seeing some of the weird, dumb, crazy tor interesting things people post.

I still think it's funny and I'm all for giving celebrations after EOGs and the like. I just think the term "graduation" should be saved for, you know...graduations.

They are graduating from elementary school to middle school. They are graduating from middle school to high school. Just the same as they graduate high school to college.

Does not meet your definition of graduation, but they ARE graduating.