Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,385 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Posted Image

Seizing an Opportunity

After the departure of both Tyler Brayton and Everette Brown in the offseason Hardy was left almost uncontested for the starting gig that he claimed opposite Charles Johnson under new head coach Ron Rivera. Only three defenders played more snaps for the Panthers last season and Hardy seized the chance to show his full range of skills in his 904 plays.

What he showed was an expanded version of his rookie season, flashes of brilliance but some infuriating inconsistency as well. Displays such as his seven-pressure game in Arizona during Week 1 and a phenomenal display against the Vikings in Week 8 give a tantalizing glimpse of the Panthers’ potential to have one of the best defensive end pairings in the league. But that excitement was tempered by his finish to the season and some dreadful performances in run defenses sprinkled throughout. After finishing 2011 with a grade of -6.7 in his final four games, you have to wonder whether the heavy workload was simply too much for him. Had he stopped in Week 13, his overall grade would have been a mightily impressive +12.9, a ranking around the Top 20 defensive ends in the league.

That can easily be remedied by spelling him more frequently, but what Hardy needs to work on from 2011 is setting the edge on defense against tight ends. Too often in 2011 he was easily sealed inside by tight ends and lead blockers, many of whom are far from exceptional at that job. At his size he should not be getting bullied by tight ends, but his inconsistent play on the edge was a contributing factor to the Panthers having one of the worst outside run defenses in the league last season. He has made plays in his first two seasons against quality edge blockers but the consistency has not been there as he has struggled to strike the balance between setting the edge and attacking the passer within a single performance.

The Next Step

Hardy is more than capable of making the strides necessary to give Carolina an outstanding pair of defensive ends. His eight batted passes were second to only Calais Campbell, more even than Jason Pierre-Paul during the regular season. His 33 QB hurries, albeit on a high number of snaps, were as many as the likes of Terrell Suggs, Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen. If he can only avoid hitting the wall he struck late last season and find that elusive balance between run defense and pass rush, he is primed to explode as a superstar defensive end, not only in his division, but league wide.

http://www.profootba...olina-panthers/

#2 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,818 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Well let's hope he can achieve his full potential. He was one time considered a high first round prospect. We were lucky to steal him in the 6th round. Though, he's too inconsistent at times. Most of the times, he's invisible on the field. Sure, everyone has their own excitement of how good he has looked coming into this season, but let's hope he can develop much better this year than just by his physical looks. This should be his breakout year. I wanna see a double digit sack season. I trust Rivera will help develop this kid into a legit DE across from CJ.

#3 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Maybe Rivera and Hurney noticed he got gassed a bit too and that's why they drafted Alexander?

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,341 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Maybe Rivera and Hurney noticed he got gassed a bit too and that's why they drafted Alexander?

undoubtedly. between kaiser and alexander we should have a pretty decent rotation to spell guys.

#5 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,818 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Yup. I think if Coples wasn't too inconsistent in college, he would've been the pick instead of Kuechy. Hardy needs to become consistent and disruptive.

#6 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Let's argue about his weight.

#7 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

• HUDDLER
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yup. I think if Coples wasn't too inconsistent in college, he would've been the pick instead of Kuechy. Hardy needs to become consistent and disruptive.

I mentioned in another thread a while back that Hardy often had a gassed look to him during games last year. Whether it was hands on the hips or even his body language when he'd come off the field he just looked a little out of breath, moreso than most guys do when they take a breather. This isn't to turn this into an argument over his weight or his stamina or anything, just an observation.

However, this could be one of the reasons that the FO took Kuechly instead of a guy like Coples. They may have decided Hardy can be a dominant beast, but only when his tank isn't on empty obviously. Also coincides with what some guys said about Rivera not wanting Hardy to play too heavy last year. Time will tell but I'd rather have a fresh Greg Hardy for 70% of snaps than a tired one for 90%.

#8 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,631 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Rivera brought up his number of snaps right after the season. Said he would like to rest him a little more.

#9 Catweisers

Catweisers

Catweisers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Bring on the Craken good article today in paper

http://www.charlotte...otorcycles.html

#10 KissMyConverse

KissMyConverse

ShoGun of Harlem

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Isn't there a video of Rivera on the sideline telling him "Keep it up, I know you're tired but just keep giving me all you got." Something to that effect.

#11 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,385 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

Isn't there a video of Rivera on the sideline telling him "Keep it up, I know you're tired but just keep giving me all you got." Something to that effect.

Yeah, it was during the Vikings game.

#12 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,712 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Given his draft status and how he's actually been productive and not regressed. I don't see it being a bad thing if he is just a rotational guy. Alexander and Keiser with Hardy and Johnson. That's not a bad DE Rotation.

If he can increase his sacks by a couple more I'd be fine with it.

#13 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,584 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

You also have to remember the motorcycle wreck that cut into his conditioning and stuff.

#14 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,317 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

I guess watching a few games at the end of the season would lead one to believe Hardy was barely average last year.. LOL

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,730 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Bring on the Craken good article today in paper

http://www.charlotte...otorcycles.html

actually is a great read....

Nearly a year after a motorcycle wreck sidetracked his preparations for the 2011 season and left him with abrasions on the left side of his body, Hardy looks to be in the best shape of his life. The 6-foot-4 Hardy weighs 299 pounds – up from his playing weight of 280 last year – and has 14 percent body fat.

“Last year I couldn’t work at all. So I felt like I had to come out and kill it,” Hardy said Thursday after the Panthers’ final minicamp practice.
Panthers coach Ron Rivera named Hardy a starter without ever seeing him play, and Hardy returned to practice about two weeks before the season opener at Arizona. Hardy, a sixth-round pick in 2010 out of Ole Miss, said he felt out of sorts after getting back on the field.

“That whole month off, it just threw you off,” Hardy said. “You come back and put pads on (before) the first game. Practice for one week and have to play the Cardinals. It’s rough.”

Yet, Hardy played well against the Cardinals with five tackles, a sack and two quarterback pressures. He had three sacks in the first five games and appeared headed for a huge year.

But Hardy managed only one sack the rest of the season as he faced more double teams and often had a tight end lined up across from him.

“I had some instances because I was playing over the tight end all year, where I had a little bit of trouble,” Hardy said. “For the most part I had good technique. But I felt like if I got my weight up, I would take my game to the next level.”
Hardy added more protein to his diet, and made the weight room his winter home.

“He’s always been big. Now he’s bigger,” Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said. “And the weight he’s gained is good weight.”
While there was a lot of talk outside of the Panthers’ offices calling for the team to draft or sign a pass rusher this offseason, Hurney and Rivera see Hardy as a disruptive force.
The Panthers hope Hardy, with his redistributed weight, can be more effective this season and take some of the pressure off defensive end Charles Johnson, the team leader with nine sacks in 2011.

“He’s put on some weight and kept the same quickness. He shows the desire. He’s done everything to show you that he wants to be very, very good,” Hurney said. “He’s improved. I think the offseason’s helped him a lot. … He’s just got a special knack as far as rushing the passer.”

Rivera talked excitedly about Hardy on Thursday, starting in with praise for him before a reporter could finish a question.
“He’s put a lot of muscle on. He’s only got 14 percent body fat. So we’re pretty excited about what he’s done this offseason. He’s had a great one,” Rivera said. “Last year he had the accident before camp. Him spending the entire offseason here was tremendous. And I’m real excited about what he can become as a football player.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

but some of our experts in here say he didn't go up to 300ish...that it will hurt him if he did...that he won't maintain it...that he doesn't want to be that weight...that the coaches don't want him there...yada yada yada.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com